Why bother with cardio?

Options

Replies

• emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options

This is not what I have learned from this site. What I have learned is that weight loss is hugely dependent upon diet, my body burns muscle in order to burn fat, and a slow weight loss combined with weight training is better than a quick weight loss due to radical cardio.

like my advice, do not take anything as a hard evidence rather as a guide to how you will understand your body...

for me, a routine with 70% cardio and 30% weight training 3 times a week works...

I'm not saying skip the weights and just kill yourself in cardio...

I personally do 25 mins of treadmill and 35 mins of cross trainer 3 times a week and that is my 70% cardio and it works for me loosing not only weight but also body fat...

Do not cut down cardio as it is the faster fat burner than weights. Although weight training builds muscles and raises your metabolic rate, but that's in a long run...

and like everyone has said, do everything in moderation...

Good luck! :)

You say that you are loosing weight and also body fat? That sounds awesome.
  • ettennam
    Options
    Exercise is good for the body overall. Cardio is a must because it strengthens the pericardium and that is healthier for the heart. Even if you don't want to do cardio for muscle or fat, do it for your heart's sake.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    ...anyways I want to be ready when the zombie apocolaypse happens

There's this. :love:

I want to *be* fit, not just look fit. To me, being fit isn't about being thin or having visible muscles, although that's nice and all, it's having the ability to DO physically demanding things. Like run away from zombies.

Since both my parents died of complications from diseases that affect the heart and lungs, having a strong cardiovascular system is pretty important to me. I'm proud that I went from someone who huffed and puffed from bronchial spasms if I ran one block to someone who can easily run a 10k in under an hour. I've been thin before, but I've never been this strong or healthy, and that feels amazing.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Can't we just eat healthy, lift some weights and jog a couple of times a week?

Yup. That'd work just fine.
  • mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    ...anyways I want to be ready when the zombie apocolaypse happens

There's this. :love:

I want to *be* fit, not just look fit. To me, being fit isn't about being thin or having visible muscles, although that's nice and all, it's having the ability to DO physically demanding things. Like run away from zombies.

Since both my parents died of complications from diseases that affect the heart and lungs, having a strong cardiovascular system is pretty important to me. I'm proud that I went from someone who huffed and puffed from bronchial spasms if I ran one block to someone who can easily run a 10k in under an hour. I've been thin before, but I've never been this strong or healthy, and that feels amazing.

I'm with you on that, wanting to be in shape and not huffing and puffing. I hate cardio. I really really hate it. I do, however, love lifting. Heavy, lots of super and tri sets to get your heart rate up, and although I've been doing that since I was a teenager, I've never been in good cardio shape.

I want to be in better shape all around and everyone on both sides of my family dies from heart disease so now I'm trying to force myself to do it a couple times a week... though I know I should still do it more (though I just checked and I haven't done any this week... oops!)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't believe that weight loss is 80% diet. At least it never has been for me. If I stop doing regular cardio exercise I gain weight. When I start back up I lose the weight and stay thin. I wish it was more diet because finding time to eat is not a problem. Finding time for exercise is.

I reckon the 80-20 is a generalisation, but it is one which is widely promulgated.

There is a lot stuff promulgated on these forums that I've never found to be true in my 50 yo of weight control.
  • wish21
    wish21 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I LOVE cardio! Its burns off a lot of calories and shred those pounds at a faster weight.
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    If you wanna be skinny fat.
  • Teliooo
    Teliooo Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I do cardio to keep fit, not to be thin.
  • Rae6503
    Options

Weight lifting prevents this MORE than cardio.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    I'm with you on that, wanting to be in shape and not huffing and puffing. I hate cardio. I really really hate it. I do, however, love lifting. Heavy, lots of super and tri sets to get your heart rate up, and although I've been doing that since I was a teenager, I've never been in good cardio shape.
    Try HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) - you can get a good cardio workout in about 20 minutes or so. Do it 2 or 3x a week. You can do pretty much any gym machine (treadmill, elliptical, stationary bike, stair stepper, rowing, etc) or any cardio activity (running, biking, even swimming) as HIIT.

2-3 minute warm up at a moderate pace. Then 30 seconds dead sprint, followed by 1.5-2 minutes recovery. Repeat the sprint-recover for a total of 6-8 rounds. 2-3 minutes cool down, and you're done before your favorite sitcom is over.
  • mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Try HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) - you can get a good cardio workout in about 20 minutes or so. Do it 2 or 3x a week. You can do pretty much any gym machine (treadmill, elliptical, stationary bike, stair stepper, rowing, etc) or any cardio activity (running, biking, even swimming) as HIIT.

2-3 minute warm up at a moderate pace. Then 30 seconds dead sprint, followed by 1.5-2 minutes recovery. Repeat the sprint-recover for a total of 6-8 rounds. 2-3 minutes cool down, and you're done before your favorite sitcom is over.

I usually do HIIT, or just a leisurly jog. Insanity jump started my cardio kick, it got me in pretty damn good shape (just finished at the end of Sept) and I've tried classes at the gym, but I still hate it all :tongue:
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    My question was not about why do I have to work to lose weight. It was about why do I have to kill myself with cardio. Can't I just eat a calorie deficit and lift weights?

Yes, of course. If your goal is body recomp (improving the ratio of fat to muscle you have) then this is all you really have to do.

Having said that even low intensity steady state (LISS) cardio can be a very effective tool in a body recomp programme *shock horror* This is because it adds to your calorie deficit allowing you to eat more (which seems counter intuitive I know.)

There can be a number of problems in trying to achieve your deficit through diet alone especially if you are quite lean to begin with. If you cut your energy / calorie intake too low through food alone it can cause a number of hormonal and metabolic changes in your body that causes your body to try and preserve fat stores which can have more impact than if you had eaten more and burned it off with cardio (burn the fat feed the muscle anyone?) Then there's the psychological advantage of being able to eat more meaning you are less likely to feel in a state of deprivation and binge. Finally there are the numerous health benefits of cardio.

Of course, the villification of LISS in a body recomp programme seems to have come from a tendency of some people (particularly women) to try and achieve this goal through slashing calories and doing a metric tonne of cardio all the while forgetting resistance training. That is a one way ticket to being skinny fat.

Don't believe the hype. LISS is a very useful tool.
  • PBJunky
    PBJunky Posts: 737 Member
    Options

Bwahahahahahaha
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Cardio burns fat. I could be wrong, but I don't think that eating burns fat. Yes, eating will help you lose scale weight. But, scale weight loss and fat loss aren't the same thing.

I don't aim for scale weight loss. I aim for fat loss and I know that fat loss takes time.

If you feel that you don't need cardio, then don't do cardio. Do what you feel is right for you.
  • Rae6503
    Options
    Cardio burns fat. I could be wrong, but I don't think that eating burns fat. Yes, eating will help you lose scale weight. But, scale weight loss and fat loss aren't the same thing.

I don't aim for scale weight loss. I aim for fat loss and I know that fat loss takes time.

If you feel that you don't need cardio, then don't do cardio. Do what you feel is right for you.

Living and exercise use energy. A calorie is a measurement of energy. You need said energy to live and to exercise. Your body can get the energy from food, from fat stores and from muscle stores. So by eating less energy than you use, you force your body to use stored energy. It tends to use both fat and muscle for this energy. Weight lifting helps convince your body to use more fat and less muscle. So yes, eating less and lifting weights results in more "fat burn".
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

Living and exercise use energy. A calorie is a measurement of energy. You need said energy to live and to exercise. Your body can get the energy from food, from fat stores and from muscle stores. So by eating less energy than you use, you force your body to use stored energy. It tends to use both fat and muscle for this energy. Weight lifting helps convince your body to use more fat and less muscle. So yes, eating less and lifting weights results in more "fat burn".

Best of luck in your recent endeavors Rachel.
  • tinamina78
    tinamina78 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Just a quick search brought up these reasons that cardio is good for you:

•Weight loss
    •Stronger heart and lungs
    •Increased bone density
    •Reduced stress
    •Reduced risk of heart disease and some types of cancer
    •Temporary relief from depression and anxiety
    •More confidence about how you feel and how you look
    •Better sleep
    •More energy

^^^^ Yes ^^^^

Cardio is amazing for your circulatory system, your heart, lungs, digestion, etc. Do it because it's good for you and it will improve your quality of life! :smile:
  • tnic86
    tnic86 Posts: 134 Member
    Options

Weight lifting prevents this MORE than cardio.

Agree! Weights are what you would WANT to do to avoid being "skinny fat".
  • tnic86
    tnic86 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Can't we just eat healthy, lift some weights and jog a couple of times a week?

Yup. That'd work just fine.

Finally! A simple and to-the-point answer. Rachel, this is why I like you.