Question for tall girls....

Options
I was reading a post in the success stories and I noticed that alot of the ladies goal weights were 180/190 at around 5'11/ 6' . I'm 5'10 and my goal is about 140. I have a medium frame and the guides say 128-172. But the ladies on there look phenomenal at 180! Is 140 too low?

Replies

• OSUalum
    OSUalum Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    A lot depends on your body type. I am very curvy and pretty muscular. There is no way I could ever go down to 140. At 160 I look very thin. I would suggest finding a starting target and then reevaluate as you get closer.
    I have also noticed a huge range for us taller girls.
  • Unwrapping_Candy
    Unwrapping_Candy Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    There's a site that I like a lot called My Body Gallery on which you can input your height and body shape with your desired weight and you'll get to see real women who are that same height, body shape, and weight. I used it to help me determine my goal weight of 160 pounds.

http://www.mybodygallery.com/
  • Maggieq87
    Maggieq87 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    My realistic goal for myself is 169 which is the highest weight in a healthy bmi for me (5'9"). Ultimately I'd like to be 135. Just wait and see, you may like your body at 160 and stop. :)
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9'' and my goal weight is 155lbs.

When I use the BMI calculator, the "healthy" zone starts at 125lbs. There is no way I am EVER going to be 125lbs, and I would never want to be.

150lbs is about as low as I think I'll ever go, but I'll be really shredded when I get there.

I've got a medium/athletic frame, too.

Maybe set your goal weight a bit higher, and then judge where you want to go when you get there?
  • inlander
    inlander Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9.25" and 140 is too low for me. In order to figure out what is too low, you need to figure out what your lean body mass is. My lean body mass is 127.5lbs - so if I weighed 130 or something, I might as well be dead, I would be so unhealthy/have so little fat on my body. My goal is 160 at my current height.

From what I understand, a good weight depends almost entirely on your lean body mass (go to a gym, they'll usually give you a free health analysis/consultation without having to join). BMI isn't an accurate representation of what is healthy for some people.
  • Megan2Project
    Megan2Project Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9 and looked pretty good at 149, I would have looked AMAZING at 135 though :) This time my goal weight is 145 because I'm working out more and want to account for the muscle.

I think it depends on your frame size and your preportions. I was also happy in the 160-165 range because it wasn't as hard to maintain.

The first time I lost weight (I started at 240) and thought I would never be able to get below 180-190, so I started with that as my goal. FOR ME, and me only, I had always been the big girl, and couldn't possibly imagine myself being thin... I thought I would be thicker, tighter, but still bigger.... I was wrong.

It all depends on where YOU are happy. You might be happy at 190, or you might want to see how far you can push it and surprise yourself. It also depends on how hard you want to work to maintain. Maintaining 140 will be much more challenging than 180.
  • Debadoo2018
    Debadoo2018 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on how you carry your weight and your muscle mass. I am 5'11" and my goal weight is 150-155. I carry my weight all over, but mostly in my stomach area (I have never had a flat stomach -- no matter what weight I was). I am 183 now and have rolls of fat around my back and stomach. I see some girls who are my weight and look like athletes with flat abs and tiny waists!
  • jvkh127
    jvkh127 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    A lot depends on your body type. I am very curvy and pretty muscular. There is no way I could ever go down to 140. At 160 I look very thin. I would suggest finding a starting target and then reevaluate as you get closer.
    I have also noticed a huge range for us taller girls.

I agree with this. I have a bigger frame and I would be anorexic at 140. Even at 170 I was too thin. My goal weight is 190 right now and I am 5'11". I would do the same. start at a goal of maybe 180-190 then see how you look and feel then. If you think you could lose more and still be healthy then set another goal of say 170 and so on.

Good Luck!!
  • jess_blonde
    jess_blonde Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8.5" and I'm aiming for 145lbs but we'll see how I feel as I get closer. I definitely don't have a thin boned frame so 145 might be too tiny for me but I'm hoping that with some muscle (and a lot less fat) I can fit into a size 6 (something I haven't done since early high school).
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9 and I'm currently sitting around 152. and my goal is 150... Ultimate goal is 140.

I have a pretty small frame so I can go lower and not look too thin. When I started out at 180, I looked overweight... and at 152 I don't look awfully thin... so I could theoretically stop here and be happy with how I look.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9 and I'm currently sitting around 152. and my goal is 150... Ultimate goal is 140.

This pretty much exactly.
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10" and my goal is 150. It's impossible for me to get below that without killing myself.155 was actually my lowest adult weight, but I still had a bit of a gut so I know I can do 150. I have a medium frame. Like others have said, it really depends on your frame and how your body distributes the weight.
  • ummlovelovesyou
    ummlovelovesyou Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9'' and my goal weight is 155lbs.

When I use the BMI calculator, the "healthy" zone starts at 125lbs. There is no way I am EVER going to be 125lbs, and I would never want to be.

150lbs is about as low as I think I'll ever go, but I'll be really shredded when I get there.

I've got a medium/athletic frame, too.

Maybe set your goal weight a bit higher, and then judge where you want to go when you get there?

I'm 5'9 and have a large frame and my goal is 160.

I don't know what you look like....but for almost being 6ft., I personally think 140 is a little low.
  • Tujitsu56
    Tujitsu56 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I'm not a girl, but hope I can offer some advice... A lot depends on your frame and muscle. Remember that muscle is more dense than fat, so if you weigh more but are really toned, the condensed weight could be due to muscle mass. There was another topic post that demonstrates this to an extent, please check it out http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/392784-skinny-fat-vs-fit-photo .... I'd say only use the scale as a frame of reference. Also use the mirror. Hope this helps
  • lisaisso
    lisaisso Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    i am 5'9 and initially i wanna get to 180, but am really thinking about 169..
    i have a ton of muscle so we'll see where that goes :heart:
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I'm between 5-8 and 5-9. I'm aiming for 135. I got there a couple of years ago and I think I looked great (I do like thin, though). I have a small frame.
  • jess_blonde
    jess_blonde Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I'm not a girl, but hope I can offer some advice... A lot depends on your frame and muscle. Remember that muscle is more dense than fat, so if you weigh more but are really toned, the condensed weight could be due to muscle mass. There was another topic post that demonstrates this to an extent, please check it out http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/392784-skinny-fat-vs-fit-photo .... I'd say only use the scale as a frame of reference. Also use the mirror. Hope this helps

Thank you so much for this! Made me realize that (while I do want to lose some fat still) I need to get some muscle!
  • jpamplin28
    jpamplin28 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I am 5'9' and my current goal weight is 160. Once there I will decide if I want to goal lower. I won't be going lower than 150 though since I have a large frame. Like some of the others have set you can always set an initial goal weight and change it as you go. When I first started I had no idea what my goal should have been so I chose 170 and once I got there adjusted.
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11" and sooo stuck at 160!! lol! I've been trying for 7 MONTHS to drop 5, just FIVE measly pounds, and my body just won't do it!! I just uploaded my latest photo so you can see what that weight looks like on someone of our height. I feel good, and get lots of compliments, but I would love to just get rid of that last 5. I have a medium frame, I think if I want to look skinny, I could be 140, but that's what I would be, skinny. I want to look athletic, I want to see muscle, and you would not see much muscle on me at 140.
  • KatiePeca
    KatiePeca Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I agree it depends on your build. I'm 5'11", and a medium frame, and at 160 I was pretty thin, I could never do 140 pounds, my body wouldn't let me, and I looked pretty decent at 180 too. My goal now is 170, that would be thrilling :)

Katie