Ode to Fiber One Bar

Options

Replies

• BEFORE
    BEFORE Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    How is it possible I missed this earlier????:huh: :laugh:

I have to concur on the outcome..........though I do love the oats n chocolate flavor too!!:blushing:

B4, you nut!!

:heart: ya big guy!

:blushing: :blushing:

Fiber One bar my gutts are rollin.
    I swear you do terrible things to my colon.
  • allaboutme
    allaboutme Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    at one time true not only with the bars but with beans. Now that I have added lots of fibre to my regular diet, they don't bother me anymore, nor do beans, You just need to get your body adjusted to the added fibre. It doesn't happen overnight but it does happen.

I find them really sweet though :happy:
  • beagle595
    Options
    The gas eases up after your system gets used to the fiber. Fiber is so healthy for all of you. It fights all types of cancer and heart disease. It takes about a week of eating it everyday... Hell at least you'll have ammo for your kids and husband! :explode: :laugh: Just kidding! No seriously!:noway: :explode: :angry:
  • mandersen16
    Options
    I actually heard a guy at a bar say this to a lady sitting next to me:

"Everyone farts at least like 25 times a day, EVEN the pretty ones." :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • JessicaN1979
    JessicaN1979 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    :laugh: Ok this seriously made me laugh out loud with no one around thankfully. This is great, I even shared it with my parents who are the ones who introduced me to the Fiber One bars and I hated them for about two weeks, but now I am over that and I do eat one a day. I love the peanut butter ones!!

Anyhow...thanks for the giggle.
  • BEFORE
    BEFORE Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Fiber One Bar you put my gutts in pain
    Because of you some people dont even strain.
  • sunflower8926
    sunflower8926 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Fibre One I think I'll pass
    It seems like all you give is gas
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh:
  • skwhatley
    skwhatley Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    haha.
    well now i know NOT to try the Fiber One Bars.
    thanks for the heads up although now
    I know what to eat when the boyfriend annoys me. :laugh: :tongue: :bigsmile:
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    There are many, many more reasons NOT to try those bars or eat them.

They are an overly processed food and contain High Fructose Corn Syrup. There is nothing healthy about HFCS, it is like a poison to your body.............................

I would suggest staying far, far away from those processed and nutritionally junk foods that they are trying to market to people as healthy....................
    :explode: :explode: :explode:
  • sanifrey
    sanifrey Posts: 2,355 Member
    Options
    The cereal seems to have the same effect!! .... :blushing: :blushing: :laugh:
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options

They are an overly processed food and contain High Fructose Corn Syrup. There is nothing healthy about HFCS, it is like a poison to your body.............................

I would suggest staying far, far away from those processed and nutritionally junk foods that they are trying to market to people as healthy....................
    :explode: :explode: :explode:

I wholly agree. Fiber is important, but there's no reason to get it from a source that makes you feel sick and alienates you from the people around you. I am amazed at how readily some people just deal with these physical and social side effects rather than cutting out Fiber One bars (or similar products).
  • douganl
    douganl Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    OMG...this is too funny!
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    So funny but so true!
  • neeterskeeter
    neeterskeeter Posts: 571 Member
    Options

I wholly agree. Fiber is important, but there's no reason to get it from a source that makes you feel sick and alienates you from the people around you. I am amazed at how readily some people just deal with these physical and social side effects rather than cutting out Fiber One bars (or similar products).

Thanks for pointing this out, yellowpepper and leanlioness. I hadn't realized it. I like to grab a bar when I'm on the go and I thought Fiber One was a healthy choice. I will have to be better about reading the ingredients! I also eat Cliff Bars, Powerbar Harvestbars, Quaker Oats 90 calorie granola bars, and ZonePerfect bars. I will have to see if there's something wrong with these bars too?!?! Thanks again.
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options

Thanks for pointing this out, yellowpepper and leanlioness. I hadn't realized it. I like to grab a bar when I'm on the go and I thought Fiber One was a healthy choice. I will have to be better about reading the ingredients! I also eat Cliff Bars, Powerbar Harvestbars, Quaker Oats 90 calorie granola bars, and ZonePerfect bars. I will have to see if there's something wrong with these bars too?!?! Thanks again.

I stay away from any of the bars that you can buy in the regular stores, like Wal-Mart, Target, Wal-greens, the main stream stores....................

I actually make my own bars or loose granola type snack, I know what is in it because I made it myself and it is nearly unprocessed...............

Here are a couple of recipes if you would like to try it out........... (Now, they are lower carb, but very nutritious, not sugary and they are a WHOLE FOOD)

Granola

1/4 c. butter
    1/4 c. S/F honey
    1 pkt. Splenda
    3/8 c. walnuts
    3/8 c. pecans
    3/8 c. sliced almonds
    3/8 c. wheat bran
    3/8 c. coconut
    1/2 c. golden flax meal
    1/2 c. oats
    1 tsp. cinnamon
    1/4 c. dry cranberries/blueberries, opt.

Melt butter in microwave and add honey and Splenda. Mix in rest of ingredients (except cranberries--add these after 20 min. of baking). Bake 30 min. at 350, stirring several times. Makes 3 c. @ 40 carbs total

Low Carb very yummy Granola

Preheat oven to 300.

2 1/2 Cups Rolled oats
    2 Cups Textured Vegetable Protein
    3/4 Cup Sunflower Seeds
    3/4 Cup Coconut, Unsweetened, Shredded
    1/2 cup Chopped Walnuts
    1/2 Cup Chopped Almonds
    1 Cup Wheat Bran
    1/3 Cup Flax Seed Meal
    1/3 Cup Wheat germ
    3/4 Cup Whey Protein Powder, Vanilla, Designer Whey
    3/4 Cup Dried Cranberries, Orange Flavored, Trader Joes, Chopped or raisins, or any dried fruit
    1 tablespoon Cinnamon
    3/4 Cup Splenda, Loose ( + or - )
    1 Tablespoon Blackstrap molasses
    1 cup Butter, Melted
    3 Whole Egg Whites beat with a little water

Stir molasses into melted butter.

Mix all dry ingred. in a very large bowl. ( Hold out the dried fruit)

Pour butter mixture over dry and mix well.

Pour egg mixture over and mix well.

Spread onto 2 Pam sprayed cookie sheets.

Place in oven and every 20 minutes or so stir granola and rotate pans.

Watch closely so it doesn’t burn. During approx. the last 10 minutes
    stir in the dried fruit.

I store the bulk of this in the freezer. But lately it isn’t lasting very long.
    Even the non low carbers in my house devour it.

This is a very forgiving recipe. Adding more or less of anything, leave stuff out that you don’t like, or add some stuff that you do.

Crunchy Granola Bars

1/2 cup of flaxseeds
    1/2 cup of flaxseed meal
    3/4 cup of oatmeal..use the steel-cut if you can
    1 1/2 cups of almond flour
    1 tsp. baking powder
    2 Tbs. cinnamon
    1/2 cup of Splenda (to taste)
    1/4 cup of Poly-D (optional)
    1/2 tsp. of salt
    1/4 cup of chopped almonds or pecans, etc..
    1 tiny box of raisins (optional)
    1/2 stick of butter, softened
    CC milk or cream (1/4 cup or so)

Preheat oven to 350

Mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl. Then cream in the butter until
    evenly dispersed..Now, pour in the milk slowly..until it is about the consistency of a slightly wet cookie dough..(not really stiff).

Grease a 9 x 9 pan and pat the dough in the pan..Bake 30 minutes until
    slightly brown on the top/edges..

If you like to have these crunchier, then cut up the bars and place them
    on a cookie sheet at 300 degrees for 30 minutes until they are crunchy on
    the outside..Then remove and cool..

My dh went crazy for them.. They would be a healthy alternative for
    kids, too..

Makes about 12..
  • neeterskeeter
    Options
    Thanks for the recipes!! Do you happen to know the nutritional content?

Splenda doesn't agree with my stomach at all. :cry: But I can substitute sugar for that.

Thanks again.
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I wonder why... Are you sure it's Splenda and not something else that's added to the foods that are giving you trouble?

For instance, a lot of sugar-free desserts that claim to be sweetened with Splenda also contain maltitol and sorbitol. For me, that's a prescription for a day in the bathroom. It's just amazing how many things contain sorbitol these days - even a number of PowerBars that are NOT sugar free! What gives?
  • princessdrake
    princessdrake Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

And a side note, don't try the new Fiber Plus bars either. Whoa....I think I almost killed my husband after eating one of those things! LOL

YES!!! I've been getting these recently and I've been tearing it up like no other!! But I do love the dark chocolate w/almonds
  • neeterskeeter
    Options
    I wonder why... Are you sure it's Splenda and not something else that's added to the foods that are giving you trouble?

For instance, a lot of sugar-free desserts that claim to be sweetened with Splenda also contain maltitol and sorbitol. For me, that's a prescription for a day in the bathroom. It's just amazing how many things contain sorbitol these days - even a number of PowerBars that are NOT sugar free! What gives?

Well I made an apple pie with Splenda two Thanksgivings ago and I got so incredibly sick. It was like I had food poisening. It was so gross and I was laying on the bathroom floor with my stomach in knots thinking I should go to the ER. I very rarely get sick and never from food (my boyfriend's stomach is very sensitive to spoiled food and he gets food allergies etc. but none of that ever happens to me) so I'm quite sure it was the Splenda because I didn't put anything else in it except for what the recipe called for... it was a low-cal apple pie recipe from scratch including the apples etc.

After that happened I did some research on it and heard from a lot of people who said the same thing happened to them. (But maybe like you say it is actually from sorbitol etc. I don't know anything about that.) The sites I saw said Splenda is *evil*, something about the way it's chemically made, and to stay away from it. It was a long time ago and I just realized I personally couldn't eat it and moved on. I don't know if it's bad for a lot of people or not but it definitely was for me.