Homecooking Poll

Options
Hi everyone,

If you've read my posts you may know I am a huge advocate of cooking or preparing your own food as opposed to eating out. Of course, it is so much easier to grab something on the go, and I know a lot of you out there eat out regularly (especially lunch).

I was wondering just how much people DO cook at home, and I want to take a poll:

How much of the food you eat (on a weekly basis) is from a chain restaurant or fast food place?

0 - 25% ?
26 - 50% ?
51 - 75% ?
76 - 100% ?

It would be interesting to know what the averages are out there.

Replies

• createsure
    Options
    Hi everyone,

If you've read my posts you may know I am a huge advocate of cooking or preparing your own food as opposed to eating out. Of course, it is so much easier to grab something on the go, and I know a lot of you out there eat out regularly (especially lunch).

I was wondering just how much people DO cook at home, and I want to take a poll:

How much of the food you eat (on a weekly basis) is from a chain restaurant or fast food place?

0 - 25% ?
    26 - 50% ?
    51 - 75% ?
    76 - 100% ?

It would be interesting to know what the averages are out there.
  • Jackie_W
    Jackie_W Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    I only eat out maybe once a month these days (probably even less), but it used to be every night - convenience and laziness mainly.
    I really enjoy cooking my own foods now, the satisfaction of cooking a family meal is wonderful - especially when I know what went in to it.
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    We go out to eat as a family once or twice a month.
    Applebees or Yukon Jacks.
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I "eat out" about once a month.

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • bigjug1967
    Options
    I used to eat out once a day and now none unless its subway or chinese broccoli and chicken lite dinner
    I am having withdrawls too from not getting all that fat.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    We eat out 2-3 times a week, but it's never fast food and hardly ever a chain (Pei Wei is a favorite chain).
  • memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Well, it's just me and my husband at home so it was so easy and convenient for the two of us to go out. We did that a LOT!!!!! I never cooked on the weekends. And I would go out for lunch EVERY DAY! But since we have been trying to lose weight, we haven't gone out together. I have had Subway and Chinese once. I love my chinese chicken/broccoli!!!! We are saving sooooo much money this way.

Good post!:drinker:
  • kistinbee
    kistinbee Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    We eat out about once a month for our anniversary...that's about it. We take it as an evening for ourselves since our lives are so busy. It works out nicely, and we always order healthy. Occassionally we go out more than that, but it's become very rare. We used to go out multiple times during the week.

*Kistinbee*
  • bigjug1967
    Options
    Chinese food , some of it is very healthy, look at the chinese and they are in very good shape except for smoking alot .I like the vegetablees and rice sometimes also
  • bigjug1967
    Options
    Chinese food , some of it is very healthy, look at the chinese and they are in very good shape except for smoking alot .I like the vegetablees and rice sometimes also
  • hollyt75
    hollyt75 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I used to eat out almost every day. My fiance and I have seriously cut back on the amount of meals we have out to 1 or 2 a week because we are trying to save money to buy a house. We have really enjoyed investing in cookbooks, I got Elie Krieger's new one yesterday and I love it! She breaks down the nutriotonal information for all her recipes. I try to make double of most recipes so I can freeze half and then just pull it out and heat up to eat as a "fast" meal at a later date. Best of all we seem to enjoy the food that we have at home more. We enjoy going to thte market and picking out fresh ingredients. We eat slower and enjoy actually sitting down and talking to each other without constantly being interrupted by a waiter.
  • erin83070
    erin83070 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    We eat out so seldom, I'd have to put ourselves in th the 0 - 25% category. Maybe once a month, but not even that. When we want junk, I usually make it at home.
  • mechanicmom
    mechanicmom Posts: 5,695 Member
    Options
    I guess compared to some of you guys I still eat out too much. Lol. Or those who eat out a lot just aren't posting! :laugh: We usually eat out 1, maybe 2 times a week. Usually on Sundays after church with friends(Usually Mexican food). I still want to eat out every day because that was my lifestyle for a long time, but I am forced to cook which I really don't like doing. But I do feel better when eating food at home.
  • bigjug1967
    Options
    Cooking can be made fun and you repect food much more too.
  • age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Once a week, I love to cook
  • rakpezr
    Options
    My wife and I eat out 2 or 3 times a week. But, for me it's not the problem as I can control the portions better out than in. Actually, it's the snacking that gets out of hand at home. I see the food and I eat the food. Usually, I make healthy choices out and even bring home half or more for another meal or two. It's those low moments where it is a reflex action to reach for the candy or a couple or three cookies. I need to strengthen my resolve. But the first two days have been good for me as I have lost 4 pounds already. My wife's meals are wonderful and she makes stuff for me that compliments my eating plan. Good luck to all and keep the communication lines open.,.,.it really helps!
  • wuzzi
    wuzzi Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I would say about 2-3 times a week if I forget to bring my lunch to work. It's just me and my fiance so sometimes eating out is easier when we're exhausted after a full days work. However, since I've started on this site we are cooking A LOT more at home. Lunch usually leads me to Subway. Midgekin and I split a black forest ham 6" and a can of healthy request soup. So good and so filling!
  • julieofthewolves
    julieofthewolves Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Well technically your question was how often I eat at a chain or fast food restaraunt. In that case I would say rarely.

But in reality I do eat out about twice a week - never to a chain or fast food place though!

I also believe that just because you eat out doesn't mean you eat unhealthy and just because you eat at home doesn't mean you eat healthy.

I just try to eat healthy wherever I am! :wink:
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    Not very often for us. Once or twice a month. These are usually only because I am shuttling kids and time is short.

Usually taco bell or subway.

I prefer subway though.
  • kjllose
    kjllose Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    During the holiday season it seemed like I was eating out once every week due to christmas shopping but normally I don't eat out at all. I or my husband cook everyday. Of course we spend more on groceries eating healthier because fresh food costs more but I don't mind because we eat less than we used to. Eating out for us is a rare treat.