Options
    Thanks!!! I'm increasing them!!!
  • anastasiaBH
    anastasiaBH Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    bump
  • adlwilmot
    Options
    I think I need to study this a little more to get my head around it. I weigh 172 lbs and according to my scales have a body fat % of 32.4. I did the calculation and came up with around 1700 calories. Is this what I need to eat to maintain or to lose? :-S I get the bit that as my body fat decreases and muscle increases that this means eating more calories, but I wasn't quite sure what the initial calculation indicated.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I think I need to study this a little more to get my head around it. I weigh 172 lbs and according to my scales have a body fat % of 32.4. I did the calculation and came up with around 1700 calories. Is this what I need to eat to maintain or to lose? :-S I get the bit that as my body fat decreases and muscle increases that this means eating more calories, but I wasn't quite sure what the initial calculation indicated.
    Well if you took lbm x 15.2 then its has a 500 calorie deficit built in but exercise can affect that calculation. How much do you workout?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Bump it!
  • psuLemon
    Options
    To the top!
  • MelanieAG05
    MelanieAG05 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Just having a read of this thread as I read the original looking for info..........

My BMR is 1290 according to the formula (MFP says 1390) I have a desk job so using the multiplier my TDEE is 1548. Is this the number of calories I should be eating to lose weight? And if I exercise should I be eating those calories back?

I am currently 165lbs and want to get to 140lb. I've tried a few ideas on this forum and currently my goal is set to 1500 net per day (0.5lbs loss per week). I'm not having much success! I've lost 1.75 inches in 3 weeks though.............

If you could clarify that would be great!

Thanks

Mel
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Just having a read of this thread as I read the original looking for info..........

My BMR is 1290 according to the formula (MFP says 1390) I have a desk job so using the multiplier my TDEE is 1548. Is this the number of calories I should be eating to lose weight? And if I exercise should I be eating those calories back?

I am currently 165lbs and want to get to 140lb. I've tried a few ideas on this forum and currently my goal is set to 1500 net per day (0.5lbs loss per week). I'm not having much success! I've lost 1.75 inches in 3 weeks though.............

If you could clarify that would be great!

Thanks

Mel

1500 would be your base calories to eat. And the. You should eat back exercise calories. Now if you add your exercise into the tdee, then you wouldnt eat back exercise. I will say if you dont lose or gain, then you should increase your calories by200 calories as you might be under estimating.
  • ayummymommy01
    ayummymommy01 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Have to bump to go back and read over and over to get this into my thick -brainwashed -cardio bunny -scale obsessed head :)
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Very interesting reading - really need to get a proper bodyfat% taken.
  • caroldot
    caroldot Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Wow! this was really interesting - and the first thread that I really understood! You've put it into perspective for me!
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I am glad I could help. I could probably take this a next step but if anyone has questions please let me know.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Very interesting reading - really need to get a proper bodyfat% taken.

Still not got it done properly - will do some research.
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    BUMP.
  • aweigh2go
    aweigh2go Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    *bookmark*
  • cherylad
    cherylad Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Your results are very interesting and I'm doing some additional research (Fat 2 Fit Radio) ... but I'm quite intrigued!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I'm way outside the norm :noway:

I'm 5'7", 38 years old, female, 160 lbs with LBM of ~120lbs. I burn an average of about 2400 calories on a rest day and, with my regular exercise, have a TDEE average of 2850 calories. Just putting that out there.
  • cherylad
    cherylad Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi there:

Okay ... I *think* I understand this, but I don't think I understand how to apply it!

Using the Katch-McArdle formula, Fat 2 Fit calculates my BMR is 1519 and my LBM is 117.

50 yr old Female
    I weigh 156, Body fat is 25.5
    I have a goal of 147 (just because it would keep me under 150 even with the periodic girl swings of 3 pounds) and body fat goal of 24.5 (because I want to stay in the healthy range it is less than 25% which *seems* too high)

So, I used your 15.2 x 117 and that is 1778. And then, since I'm between moderate and very active, I used 1.6 and I get 2430

Now what do I do with that information and, second question, how do I use that information in MFP to keep track?

Thanks for your help!
  • uptomoonandback
    uptomoonandback Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    bump for more thorough read.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I'm way outside the norm :noway:

I'm 5'7", 38 years old, female, 160 lbs with LBM of ~120lbs. I burn an average of about 2400 calories on a rest day and, with my regular exercise, have a TDEE average of 2850 calories. Just putting that out there.

That's ok. Even the best formulas in the world only account for 80% of the people. We call the others outliers. This biggest thing is, you understand your TDEE so you know where you can do cut, bulk or maintain.