Is there anyone who DOESNT log their exercise?

Options
Do you have to log your exercise? Or not? I've upped my calories to 1600 (mfp would have me on 1200), and I do insanity 6days/week, gym for 1h/6days a week (cardio) and swimming 6days/week. I also do body combat class twice a week, and jog at the weekends + walking dogs twice a day. Am I shooting myself in the foot by not logging? I dont want to eat too much, but I dont want to eat too little either... Any help?

Replies

• trenley
    trenley Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I absolutely think you should log because that way, you'll see if you're giving your body enough fuel- and it seems like you need A LOT with the amount of exercise you're doing. I'd say go ahead and start logging, but if it turns into a pain in the butt, it won't hurt to stop logging.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    for that amount of exercise i would hazard a guess that you could eat a LOT more than 1600 cals... log for a week and then decide?
  • jagar07
    jagar07 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    i suggest you log. That way you know that you're not eating too much or too little and you give yourself the highest chances of success
  • Texas501
    Texas501 Posts: 274
    Options
    If you are losing weight the way you are doing it now, CHANGE NOTHING!
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    You probably should log exercise. And if you are working out like you indicated you probably need more than 1600 calories a day. You may be over doing it with all that working out (IMHO).
  • Aegelis
    Aegelis Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I do not log my exercise because I find my physical work to be minimal. Besides moving a few heavy things at work now and then or pushing carts, my 'work-out' is merely cleaning house and other daily maintenance. If I still did kung-fu however, I'd certainly log at least half of those intense workouts.
  • Asil76
    Asil76 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I do not log my exercise but I upped my calories to 1460 I average 45 minutes/day of exercise 5x a week plus a boot camp class once a week. You do a lot of exercise and 1600 calories seems kind of low to me but that is just my opinion.
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Wow.. what does that work out to? 30 hours of workouts a week? I'm lucky if I get 15, I need a new schedule!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Here's my stand on it...

Are you losing weight the way you're doing it? If so, then leave it alone. However, if the weight loss slows down or stops, then it is time to re-evaluate what you're doing (and then change something).

If you aren't losing weight right now, then I would definitely suggest logging. You may find you aren't eating enough to accommodate the amount of exercise you're getting.
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    I log them but not until I am done for the day, as I generally don't eat them. Occasionally I will go a little over my calories and it uses them once I log them, but for the most part I don't use them, so I don't log them until after I hit the complete entry button.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I don't. My activity is consistent on a week-to-week basis, so I don't see the need to log. I just monitor my weight and adjust calories as needed.
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I log it. However, if you do it that much and that consistently, your alternative would be to up your activity level to the highest possible one to account for all of it, and eat accordingly.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Honestly speaking, Im lucky Im still half awake to post my foods/meals... by the time I get to logging the exercise I get, Im already passed out at the computer and my husband comes home to walk me up to bed! LOL!
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I only log it when I want to see the numbers, but more often than not I don't. I don't eat back my exercise calories, so I don't like to log them.
  • chan1993
    Options
    I would strongly suggest you log in exercise. It is very important to fuel your body with proper and adequate calories. If you over work and under eat your BMR will slow down and you will lose muscle. You want to spare muscle at all cost. Muscle is your best friend to keep lean and trim, it is your personal furnace burning calories while you aren't even doing anything.

Bottom line, feed your body and make sure you get enough protein. I follow Tom Venuto on Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle. It has changed my life.

:smile:
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    with insanity along you will be burning 400-800 cals which would put your net at 800-1200, so once you do anymore exercise you should log it so your net is not below 1200.

Say you burn 1100 calories and eat 1600, that is only 500 Net, you should eat back at least 700 of those 1100 to get you to 1200 (500+700). So on days you burn 1100 cals you should eat between 2300 (1200+1100) and 2700 (1600+1100).
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys:)
    Its just that I dont have a hrm and I dont want to overestimate my calories burnt. I have been loging before and eating them back, but didnt lose any weight :( And I dont count walking as exercise, as I do it every day... And I'm not that good at swimming, so would be easy to overestimate... Also, I'm 5' and weigh 122lbs, trying to get down to 107...
  • lindalee0315
    lindalee0315 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Holy mackeral! I'm impressed. I finished Insanity in August and still work in the dvds (currently doing a hybrid of P90X/Insanity/Spin). I can't imagine keeping your schedule, and I generally workout 90 minutes a day! I agree with the posters below who say if it's working for you, don't change it. I think it would be interesting to see what you're actually burning, though. Do you have a heart rate monitor? If you don't, the MFP standard caloric burn runs high (at least for me).
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to log exercise separately, why not change your everyday activity level to very active, because very active you are indeed!
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to log exercise separately, why not change your everyday activity level to very active, because very active you are indeed!

lol
    yes, I've done that, but it upped my calories from 1200 to 1420/day, which didnt seem enough? :huh: