Tea = Water?

Options

Replies

• gabriella_0577
    Options
    Yes - if you drink too much water you can actually get sick from it - Water intoxication and its corresponding condition, hyponatremia, or electrolyte dilution.
  • Matttdvg
    Matttdvg Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Here's another question....is there such a thing as too much water?

Yes, but unless you drink like 6 gallons of water a day, or your kidneys aren't functioning properly, you have nothing to worry about. Water intoxication isn't something that can happen by just having a few extra cups of water. It takes serious quantities of water to be in any danger.
  • havalinaaa
    havalinaaa Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I count everything I drink that doesn't contain alcohol as water, though I try to have at least 4 glasses of plain water a day - and usually have more like 6.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    The next time I drink a gallon of green tea, I can't count it.
  • NishaMisha
    Options
    My doctor and nutritionist both told me so long as the item is caffeine free it should be counted towards your water intake.
  • jordanlell
    jordanlell Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Caffinated teas are not water! because Caffine is a diaretic. Also non calorie beverage are Not water.
    Water is that Water!!!

Interesting Water Facts

We all know that water is important, but I’ve never seen it described like this before!!!!

75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated. ( Likely applies to half the world population). In 37% of Americans, the thirst mechanism is so weak that it is often mistaken for Hunger. Even MILD dehydration will slow down one’s metabolism as much as 3%. One glass of water shuts down midnight hunger pangs for almost 100% of dieters studied in a U- Washington study. Lack of water, the 1# trigger of daytime fatigue. Preliminary research indicates that 8-10 glasses of water a day could significantly ease back and joint pain for up to 80% of sufferers. A mere 2% drop in body water can trigger fuzzy short-term memory, trouble with basic math, and difficulty focusing on the computer screen or on a printed page. Drinking 5 glasses of water daily decreases the risk of colon cancer by 45%, plus it can slash the risk of breast cancer by 79%, and one is 50% less likely to develop bladder cancer.

Are you drinking the amount of water you should everyday???

I think I'll go get myself a glass of water now.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I count everything I drink that doesn't contain alcohol as water, though I try to have at least 4 glasses of plain water a day - and usually have more like 6.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283
    THANK YOU for a link to a reputable source!!! (And thanks to others who said this, but having the source helps with credibility against the old wives' tales and myths that have been spouted in this thread.)

OP -- If you want to count it, do. If you'd prefer not to count it, don't.
  • TONYAGOOCH
    TONYAGOOCH Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I count all non-caloric unsweet beverages as water comsumption. I was on WW and they count it too. I do drink a lot of water as well but I think as long as you are getting your dailey dose of liquid that is non-caloric and not sweetened you should be just fine.
  • TONYAGOOCH
    Options
    I mean really? What's the difference in adding a powdered flavoring or something to your water and tea or coffee. Besides the caffine. And don't they put caffine in fat burners? So what's the difference.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I count all non-caloric unsweet beverages as water comsumption. I was on WW and they count it too. I do drink a lot of water as well but I think as long as you are getting your dailey dose of liquid that is non-caloric and not sweetened you should be just fine.
    Just wondering, why does it matter if it has calories?
  • TONYAGOOCH
    Options
    Chances are if it has calories then it has sugar. At least that's what I think. Then I wouldn't count it as water. I know on WW we couldn't count a real soda as water but we could a diet one. And we can't count sweet tea but we could unsweet.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Chances are if it has calories then it has sugar. At least that's what I think. Then I wouldn't count it as water. I know on WW we couldn't count a real soda as water but we could a diet one. And we can't count sweet tea but we could unsweet.
    Not true. WW guidelines are all liquids that do not contain alcohol count toward water intake.
  • TONYAGOOCH
    Options
    I guess thats right. I just never counted anything like that. lol Of course I don't drink sweet tea or regular sodas either. I must have just been ASSuming they didn't count. . lol
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Isn't tea like 99.5% water?

More like 99.99.

I will never understand why people think adding some flavor makes it not water anymore.

I agree.... If I drink plain water then it's water, but if I put some lemon juice and some sweetener in it it's no longer water... but what if I drank the water plain and then ate a lemon wedge and a sugar free candy while drinking the water, would it still be water?

Personally I drink plain water because I want to reduce my dependence on sweet things and when I drink sweet drinks I want more sweet , but I still think that most beverages can be counted as water.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Ok, total newbie here. When I'm tracking my water consumption should the herbal tea that I drink be added into my water ticker?

Do you use water to make it? If so, then I'd count the water.
  • ElizabethRoad
    Options
    OK... then why does sugar invalidate the water?
  • rml_16
    Options
    Isn't tea like 99.5% water?

More like 99.99.

I will never understand why people think adding some flavor makes it not water anymore.

I agree.... If I drink plain water then it's water, but if I put some lemon juice and some sweetener in it it's no longer water... but what if I drank the water plain and then ate a lemon wedge and a sugar free candy while drinking the water, would it still be water?

Personally I drink plain water because I want to reduce my dependence on sweet things and when I drink sweet drinks I want more sweet , but I still think that most beverages can be counted as water.

The thing is, it isn't so much that our bodies need plain water. They need LIQUID. Liquid we get from foods, from drinks of all kinds, whatever. The 8 glasses a day is a guidelines, but most of us don't actually need it. The thing posted above about 75% of Americans being partially dehydrated is a myth. Eight glasses a day won't hurt you but it probably isn't actually necessary. So, the water content from fruits and veggies and grains count toward hydration. Milk, fruit juices and yes, even soda, will hydrate you.

I choose water because it's calorie-free and I don't like the taste of artificial sweeteners. But I would count any liquid toward my water intake (except alcohol, of course).
  • GodWithUs777
    GodWithUs777 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I do. Chamomile and Green Tea both need water, and as long as you aren't overloading with sugar, I would add it as water consumed.

On the 'how much is too much' - my Mom and I work with Kangen Alkaline Water machines, and we always recommend drinking half your body weigh in ounces as a great amount to drink to stay hydrated. To assist with additional weight loss, they recommend drinking your actual weight in ounces. Just make sure you take regular bathroom breaks and you should be fine. :)
  • ElizabethRoad
    Options
    I do. Chamomile and Green Tea both need water, and as long as you aren't overloading with sugar, I would add it as water consumed.
    There it is again. Everyone says "as long as it doesn't have sugar", but why?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    There it is again. Everyone says "as long as it doesn't have sugar", but why?

There is no rational or logical reason, but some will still defend it to the death. Plain ol' water is the magical weight loss tool. It makes me wonder how anyone ever gets fat, considering how affordable and attainable it is.