FINALLY! A low calorie mug brownie (101 cal)

Options
Tenoreo90
Tenoreo90 Posts: 329 Member
I LOVE mug brownies...unfortuantely, most recipes cost around 350 cal/serving. After MUCH googling, I found this delicious recipe:

http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Microwave-Brownie-In-A-Mug-_single-Serving_-Chow

2 vegetable oil (tbs)
2 water (tbs)
1 drop vanilla extract
1 dash salt
1 pinch instant coffee (powder optional)

3 granulated sugar (tbs)
2 unsweetened cocoa powder (tbs)
2 all purpose flour (tbs)
1 In a 12 oz coffee mug, mix water, oil, salt, vanilla and coffee, if using. Whisk well.
2 Add cocoa powder, whisk well. Add sugar, whisk well. Add flour, whisk well.
3 Microwave for 60-75 seconds: 60 seconds for a molten bottom, 75 for uniformly done. I normally choose 60.
4 Enjoy with a spoon and a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Careful, brownie will be hot.

I skin the ice cream, obviously, and didn't add coffee to mine (though that sounds delicious) Turned out really well!

Replies

• ikes_mama
    Options
    wait... a brownie... in the microwave.... WHAT!!
  • DesertSunsetRain
    Options
    Oh wow, sounds delicious. Thank you.
  • natersmama
    Options
    no pudge brownies are also pretty awesome in the microwave. just need the mix and some non fat vanilla yogurt. low cal and easy =D
  • peteb79
    peteb79 Posts: 386
    Options
    wow... definitely trying this.
  • dance_fit
    dance_fit Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    There is no way that is 101 Calories unless you are talking Teaspoons (tsp) instead of Tablespoons (TBSP)

2 vegetable oil (tbs) = 250 calories
    3 granulated sugar (tbs) = 135 calories
    2 unsweetened cocoa powder (tbs) = 20 calories
    2 all purpose flour (tbs) = 55 calories

Total= 460

*edited* I like chocolatecoveredkatie.com for mug cake ideas. All her "single lady cakes" can be microwaved. And I've gotten them down to 160 calories before.
  • lexximan
    lexximan Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    wait... a brownie... in the microwave.... WHAT!!

My thoughts exactly... why has no one told me!!?!?!
  • gremlet
    gremlet Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    @dance_fit - I was wondering that myself. Sounds delicious, but if those measurements are TBSP and not tsp, there's no way that's 101 calories.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I was going to say, Vegetable oil is over 100 cals per tablespoon so unless this is two servings the calorie count can't be right.
  • rb16fitness
    rb16fitness Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    You've made I day. I know what i'll be eating from this day forth... :happy:
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Yum!
  • peteb79
    peteb79 Posts: 386
    Options
    I was going to say, Vegetable oil is over 100 cals per tablespoon so unless this is two servings the calorie count can't be right.

I am pretty bummed now... lol.. I added this to my recipes and, yup, the calculator says its over 400 calories.
  • DesertSunsetRain
    Options
    I was actually thinking the same thing. I was wondering how many servings it was to only be 101 calories. But then I just figured it was correct with one after I looked at the website. But being honest with myself it doesn't make sense that all of that could only be 101 calories. Maybe it does mean tsp.

Yeah, definitely a little bummed out haha.
  • gremlet
    gremlet Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am pretty bummed now... lol.. I added this to my recipes and, yup, the calculator says its over 400 calories.

Even if the measurements are teaspoons, the veg. oil and sugar alone are around 100 calories. Shame -- I love mug cake but sadly, it seems it can either be yummy or low calorie but not both!
  • twiztidprop18
    Options
    i definately just made this, i love this :) it's so good :) thanks for posting this. :)
  • dance_fit
    dance_fit Posts: 53 Member
    Options

Even if the measurements are teaspoons, the veg. oil and sugar alone are around 100 calories. Shame -- I love mug cake but sadly, it seems it can either be yummy or low calorie but not both!

I edited my post, but I'll put t here again -

www.chocolatecoveredkatie.com

has tons of "single lady" which can be made in the microwave and are on the healthier side for desserts.
  • wobeirne
    Options
    Those numbers appear to be wrong. I used a variety of calorie counters and this recipe comes in at over 400 calories.
  • kyodi
    kyodi Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    BU to the MP... BUMP!!!
  • cemummy
    cemummy Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    oh thanks so much! i was missing my mug cake :)
  • mlbazemore
    mlbazemore Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • Saffyra
    Saffyra Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Bump for chocolatecoveredkatie website. Bummer about the calories being off but im hoping to find a good replacement.