Am I Wrong?

Options
BeautyisBeingU
BeautyisBeingU Posts: 88 Member
I work for Condo Association and a tenant asked if she could organize a Christmas party for the children. I advised that it would be ok upon condition. She asked if she could have a cake that say, “Happy Birthday Jesus. Me: No, it can say a Happy Holiday since this is such a diverse community. We have more foreigner then American on this property. Tenant: I don’t want to be involved then. Me: Thats find but I thought this was about bring the children in the community together and plus you can’t push religion upon anyone, it needs to be their choice. Tenant: I have converted many people into Christian. Me: That great but these are children and don’t think their parents would be every happy about it ether. Then she began to get loud, Tenant: I thought you were a nice person and I refuse to leave GOD out of his own birthday. Me: If you can continue to yell you can leave the office and just because I don’t agree with you does not mean I am not nice. Tenant: I no longer want to talk about this and start to cry as she walks out the office.
Was I wrong?

S/N: I am christian and I belive in God and is son Jesus.

Replies

• _beachgirl_
    _beachgirl_ Posts: 3,865 Member
    Options
    No. You weren't wrong.
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    No, you were definately not wrong. I'm also a Christian and CHristmas is 100% about the birth of Jesus for me...however I also realize that it's not that for everyone and it's especially not appropriate to try and push it on children. While I think her heart may have originally been in the right place as wanting to bring the kids together and celebrate something she cherishes so much, she is going about it all the wrong way.
  • dandrews010
    dandrews010 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    You definitely did the right thing.
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Not in the least, I think you were in the right to think of everyone and not just yours or her beliefs.
  • smelmel
    smelmel Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    no
    :bigsmile:
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    How about Merry Christmas? It's such a retail term now anyway
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    Nope, you were right. I would be pissed if somebody tried to force their religion on my children. If she wants to do her own thing in her own condo, that's another thing entirely. Great job. :bigsmile:
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    You were right.

Unfortunately, they don't want religion on these boards either. I sense imminent censorship.
  • therealkittymao
    therealkittymao Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    You were absolutely in the right, she was totally out of line to get loud with you. I am glad you stood up for those kids and their families!
  • SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    No, you were right. I would not let things escalate to yelling, things of that nature, keep calm, and just say only a secular holiday celebration is allowed.
    Sounds like she walked in wanting a battle-- I'm not sure why, but there are a lot of people in recent years walking around looking for ways to be offended. If you're bothered by "happy holidays," and things of that nature, I think you're one of them. I'm a Christian, too, but my being silly and rude isn't going to convert anyone, anyway.
  • sandrinamsilva
    sandrinamsilva Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    No I do not think you were wrong at all.
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I don't know that writing something on a cake though is necessarily pushing religion on someone but I can definitely see your point though. Maybe she could do a mix of decorations and such-some Christmas, some Kwanza, some Hanukkah, some secular, etc.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I would have told her to organize the party herself, and make the cake say whatever she wants.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I disagree.

If you're going to allow a "Christmas" party, but refuse to allow the religious aspects of Christmas to be involved, that doesn't make sense.

If you wish to have a "Winter" party, your decision holds up. A "December is fun" party, perfect. But to call it Christmas and then try to excise "Christ" from it, doesn't hold water.

If you were to allow a Hanukkah party, you'd acknowledge it's Jewish, and have a menorah, yes? Same for other religious holidays, no matter how badly they've been shanghai'd by materialism.

If you want to leave religion out of it, then leave religion out of it. But it's rude to Christians to say thanks for the holiday, now can you strip the meaning out of it since I don't share your religion?

I'm not religious, but I dislike the way some people treat Christmas as though it wasn't sacred and deeply religious for some folks.
  • Mallory0418
    Mallory0418 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    You definitely did the right thing. I believe the same as you but she was being way out of line.
  • BeautyisBeingU
    BeautyisBeingU Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I started feeling bad when started to cry.
  • Unwrapping_Candy
    Unwrapping_Candy Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    You certainly were not wrong. :flowerforyou:
  • coyoteo
    coyoteo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I don't think you should feel you did anything wrong. But neither should she. I gotta say, if it's a CHRISTMAS party, the Jesus cake should be expected. If it's a HOLIDAY party, then not so much. If you send your kids to an easter party would you be offended when they bring home eggs with crosses on them? Now if it was a spring party, it would be weired. Kudos to her for not sacrificing her values.
  • coyoteo
    coyoteo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I disagree.

If you're going to allow a "Christmas" party, but refuse to allow the religious aspects of Christmas to be involved, that doesn't make sense.

If you wish to have a "Winter" party, your decision holds up. A "December is fun" party, perfect. But to call it Christmas and then try to excise "Christ" from it, doesn't hold water.

If you were to allow a Hanukkah party, you'd acknowledge it's Jewish, and have a menorah, yes? Same for other religious holidays, no matter how badly they've been shanghai'd by materialism.

If you want to leave religion out of it, then leave religion out of it. But it's rude to Christians to say thanks for the holiday, now can you strip the meaning out of it since I don't share your religion?

I'm not religious, but I dislike the way some people treat Christmas as though it wasn't sacred and deeply religious for some folks.

Well said.
  • SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I disagree.

I just can't look around the US and think that's true, is all.
    Dispite the name, and the fact that the date is near Christ's SYMBOLIC (not real) birthdate, Christmas is very much a secular celebration, and religious for some folks (like me!). :)

That said-- you make a good point in it just being wise form to maybe rename it a "Holiday Party" just to avoid such mishaps in the future.