Warning: Gross subject

Options
So I've been using MFP for 3 weeks now and my bowel movements have went from once a day to once or twice a week. Should I be concerned? Does eating healthy cause you to have fewer bowel movements?

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    increase fiber, veggies, and water. Should help :]
  • jessashcher
    Options
    mine did that too, and I find when I do increase my fiber it goes back to regular.
  • NemesisJRM
    NemesisJRM Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Dunno the answer but I have noticed the same thing..... I even tried increasing my fiber to compensate but nothing..... so bump to see the answer
  • themetra
    themetra Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    My guess is your body is adjusting. Make sure you're getting enough fiber and drinking lots of water.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    As soon as I hit reply, Sunshine_88's answer was already there and was pretty much what I was gonna say.
  • mbb0301
    Options
    No, eating healthy regulates everything. You should have a bowel for every time you eat (if you eat 2x's a day, you should have 2 bowel movements).

Are you getting enough fiber? Are you eating fresh fruits and veggies? Are you drinking plenty of water?
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    No worries. I think most folks here get a kick out of poop threads. Well, I do.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    yeah...that is not good...I agree with the fiber comments! you need to poop :)
  • lucylue21
    Options
    i hadnt pooped in four days and i ate 10 satsumas yesterday... i pooped
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    and i looked at your diary for a few days...slow down on the bananas and cheese, both will bind you up!
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    no worries, you're still within normal limits.
  • lucylue21
    Options
    As soon as I hit reply, Sunshine_88's answer was already there and was pretty much what I was gonna say.

she hasnt replied yet
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    My guess is your body is adjusting. Make sure you're getting enough fiber and drinking lots of water.

This, it can take some time, but it will work itself out.
  • Kslice39
    Kslice39 Posts: 146
    Options
    increase your fruits and veggies along with your water intake :)
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Start tracking your fibre. It does help.

I've also heard there are some ways to help you go, such as coffee, apples, raisins etc
  • slnash
    slnash Posts: 16
    Options
    OK, I did this too and tried more fiber, etc. Everything just hurt my stomach (pain) but STILL nothing. Finally, I just got a stool softener and took them every NIGHT until something happened, then took them an extra couple of nights. You would not believe the pressure that was removed! After that, I made sure I had a yogurt every day. That has kept things normal since.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options

she hasnt replied yet

hers was the first reply
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    It could be a sign that you aren't eating enough. Since I have no idea of the deficit you are carrying, I can't say for sure but if your deficit is much more than 1000 cals a day, you might be shocking your system and your body may be going into conservation mode. If you know this is the case---eat more!

Carefully go over your diary and make sure you are getting enough water and fibre (reminder: fibre will do you no good without water). Yogurt may also help to regulate your digestive tract and could be added to your regimen.
  • megan6709
    megan6709 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    No worries. I think most folks here get a kick out of poop threads. Well, I do.

LOL at that one.

I kind of went the opposite way, but not too terribly. BUT I was eating crap before and now with all the vegetables and extra water, I am pretty sure its normal. What I think is that if you don't feel constipated or bloated, you probably shouldn't worry too much. If you do start to feel that way, you might want to get checked out just to make sure... Maybe talk to a nutritionist?
  • hhorncastle
    hhorncastle Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'm having the exact same problem. The only thing is everything I've read says increase your fiber, drink more water and exercise. Well, before I started MFP, I was a junk food-snarfing couch potato who only drank water if I happened to open my mouth in the shower. And I was regular as clockwork. Now, I'm consistently getting more than the daily recommended amount of fiber, at least 8 glasses of water a day and hit the gym two or three times a week and ... nuthin'. I've tried Benefiber, Fiber One cereal, probiotic yoghurt, even MORE water ... still nuthin'. (ETA: Well, not NOTHING.. maybe 3 times a week instead of once or twice a day.) It's uncomfortable and I'm sure it's messing with my weigh-ins. Glad to hear I'm not the only one, though. I was ready to make a doctor's appointment.