Do you still feel "fat" mentally after a lot of weight loss?

Options

Replies

• b1delane
    b1delane Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I was just talking to my aunt and cousin about this! Some customer at my job asked me what size I would wear in a certain jacket because her friend (which is a size 5) looks about my size, I said large and she says "really I don't think so could you try on this medium for me I want to see if it will fit you?", me being the good Samaritan that I am, agrees (in my mind though I scoffed at her because I just KNEW it wasn't my size)...sure enough it FIT!!! I was so surprised! First I am not a size five but an eight, and second because I see a whole different person in the mirror. I still see the overweight girl and not the fit women. It still shocks me everyday. Knowing and believing I guess are two different things!
  • Sul3i
    Sul3i Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I didn't til I reached goal got complacent stopped working out and eating healthy... didn't gain much back but I jiggle a lot now n thatmakes me feel fat... I'm working towards getting back on track now
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I got a different problem. All my life I was pretty and curvy/slim. I used to work for TV, was a model, was in music videos.
    And now when I'm fat, I still feel sexy and curvy. And I go straight to the 38 size dresses in Dolce and Gabbana and those sale assistants look at me like wtf :)

Just you wait, DG *****es, I'll be back in a couple of months! :D

I bet when I'm old 80 something grandma, I still will be thinking I'm a hot chick, lol, that will be a sad sad picture.
  • 05saleengirl
    Options
    As crazy as it sounds yes...I still do at times. For example...if.I walk past someone and they look at me...in my mind I'm automatically thinking..."they think I'm fat; they are staring at me cuz of my weight". After being picked on for my weight for many years...its hard to think otherwise.
  • jennfranklin
    jennfranklin Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Yes..It is crazy! I know I have a long way to go to get to my goal, but I am down a total of 64 pounds. 37 while on MFP, and I do feel fat some days! And I mentally cannot imagine myself any smaller! Does anyone have that same problem?
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I have total body dysmorphia...

Doesn't seem to matter how much weight I lose, I'm always chunky in my mind. When my profile picture was taken (this was a couple years ago when I was about 20 pounds lighter than now) I commented on how my belly was fat and poofy. I wish I was joking...and I wish my belly was that "fat and poofy" now. :ohwell:

I have this, too. Pictures of my early 20's in which I recall very clearly thinking I was fat. How silly we are when things are put into perspective!
  • shabnaum
    shabnaum Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I still feel fat because I have fat jiggles on my arms and belly, cellulite on my thighs..sometimes I still feel like I look fat in some clothes......I feel like once I'm lean and muscular I won't feel fat anymore...I hope one day it will go away..I technically fit in my healthy weight zone for my height so hopefully weight training and HIIT will make the jiggle go away
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Yes definitely. I call it fat girl issues. Confidence doesn't come for free with weight loss, I wish it did.
  • UKChloeT
    Options
    A few years ago I lost 3st (42lbs) and a friend of mine was going through her waredrobe and didn't want an old pair of jeans so gave them to me. I never thought they'd fit me because my friend has always been slim and I could never be the same size as her....
    I tried them on when I got home...and they fit! I screamed at the top of my voice and ran to find my OH, jumping around like a mad woman!
    Then, I started going shopping and noticed that mediums were too big...its really odd because I started to think it was a conspiracy! Like the shops had put the labels on the wrong sizes or something.

And now half the weight has gone back on and I'm back at the beginning again....5lbs down, 16lbs to go!
  • Ayla70
    Ayla70 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I still feel ridiculously fat, although I'm down 35lbs. I still have work to do and just about at the halfway mark. When I look in the mirror I feel that it's not me and I didn't lose anything. I swear each time I go shopping for new clothes I go straight to the big sizes XL / XXL section when I know I fit a Medium. Just yesterday my friend asked me what size I wear and she was going to pick up a shirt for me. I hesitated and said Large because I felt that a medium would be too small.

Anyone feel the same?

Yes! I still go to the same size clothing I was, because I still don't truly believe I'm any different. I don't really feel a lot different. But then I never really felt as big as I was to start with. I always felt a lot more able than my body allowed. I've lost almost 30 kilos, and I honest do not feel like I look any different whatsoever.
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    Yes I still do - Over the last 2 years, I went from 200 lbs to 135-140 lbs. (Most of it is pre-MFP)
    I still see the fat girl in the mirror at times. And it scares the crap out of me. It's a long process, and I'm having more realistic days than before, so it's only a matter of time before my brain catches up to my body.

You'll get there too - one thing that's helped me is celebrating the little things. Write them down, so that when you're not feeling it, you can go back to it and remember who you ARE right now.
  • Ayla70
    Options
    A few years ago I lost 3st (42lbs) and a friend of mine was going through her waredrobe and didn't want an old pair of jeans so gave them to me. I never thought they'd fit me because my friend has always been slim and I could never be the same size as her....
    I tried them on when I got home...and they fit! I screamed at the top of my voice and ran to find my OH, jumping around like a mad woman!
    Then, I started going shopping and noticed that mediums were too big...its really odd because I started to think it was a conspiracy! Like the shops had put the labels on the wrong sizes or something.

And now half the weight has gone back on and I'm back at the beginning again....5lbs down, 16lbs to go!

OMG...so this! ^^

I have silly things go through my head too, like 'my friend stretched the clothes she passed down, so they're not REALLY that small' and 'the shops are obviously carrying bigger sizes these days, where a size 14 is really a size 18'...
  • Ayla70
    Options
    As crazy as it sounds yes...I still do at times. For example...if.I walk past someone and they look at me...in my mind I'm automatically thinking..."they think I'm fat; they are staring at me cuz of my weight". After being picked on for my weight for many years...its hard to think otherwise.

^^ this too...
  • Miss_dannii
    Options

Lol @ the conspiracy!! I feel the exact same.. when I try on clothes, I always take in a medium AND a large, or a 12 and a 14, even though the medium and the 12 always fit and are starting to get loose on me. I feel like sizes must have changed! lol x
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I've gone from 220lbs to 147lbs and yes, I still feel "fat" - I'm not sure if that's down to me being so tiny before I gained the weight or whether it's just because I'm so critical of myself anyways or whether it's a very common thing to occur...who knows?!
  • HotMummyMission
    HotMummyMission Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Story of my lfe
  • cleanandlean2012
    cleanandlean2012 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!!! I have gone from size 22 to size 16 and still end up looking at size 20+. I cannot see a difference at all, however the tape measure, scales and clothes size tell a totally different story. My trick is to keep good friends around, so if I eventually go too thin, they can tell me to stop!

I also think it is a change of mindset...which takes time. All the best!
  • Miss_dannii
    Options
    I wonder if there is some sort of hypnosis people like us can go for to help us with self image.. I had hypnosis for smoking before and it worked, for a while anyway lol
  • claudineer
    claudineer Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I lost 60lbs in 2006. However, I never saw myself as thinner. Everyone was telling me that I was becoming too thin. However, I did not see it. My shirts still felt the same on me. It it was not for my pants (literally falling down as I walk) I would not have believed anyone. I only realized that I had lost weight because everyone was giving me more attention. I became surprisingly angry. I only wanted to be around people who appreciated me at my higher weight.

Congrats on your journey. You have done something very positive for yourself and this is one of the highest honors.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I lost 43 pounds, and still can't believe I am a size 8 instead of busting out size 14's. Yesterday I went to buy a fitted shirt to wear with my new suit - size 8 blazer, size 6 skirt. I made myself take a size 8 and it fit! What is amazing to me after being this size for about six months now, is that I am surprised every morning when my new clothes still fit!

I think the hardest part of my weight loss is rebuilding my wardrobe right now. I have weeded and weeded out the too big clothes and it is motivating to have a nice small group of clothes that make me feel great and fit well.

I don't feel fat - but I defintly can't look at a new garment in a store and say -"That looks like that will fit"....
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!