Do you still feel "fat" mentally after a lot of weight loss?

Options

Replies

• kayla1125
    Options
    I feel the same way you do and understand totally as I have lost alot before I got on here. My clothes are way too big for me now, but I go to the same sizes that you do when I am in a store.
  • MrsBailey149
    MrsBailey149 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    YES!! I know exactly how you feel. I still go straight for the XL in the back of the rack before realizing that I am not that size anymore. However, I see that mistake as a positive thing because when it dawns on me that I am not that size, I smile and work my way up to the mediums :)

On the down side of your brain not catching up with your body....it can be frustrating to look in the mirror and not see any changes. Sometimes I look in the mirror and I can't figure out where I even got smaller. I feel like I'm the same I've always been, overweight. HOwever, I have actually lost nearly 50 pounds and certainly have major changes in my body.

The solution....be POSITIVE and don't always believe the mirror. AND, enjoy the fact that you get to remind yourself that you are a medium and no longer an XL
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    I have been between 135-140 for almost 3 years now, at this size 6.

My goal weight was 167 and a size 12.

I feel fat. All the time.
  • pen2u
    pen2u Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Isn't this incredible? Maybe we all should just accept that this happens and get on with our lives, lol. The first thing I do in the morning is check to make sure I haven't gained back all my weight during the night. Obsessive much??

Lately I've noticed that I feel normal more often than I feel fat, which is a great improvement. It will only get better.
  • directorj
    directorj Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    OMG! This was a year ago! A lot has happened to me since. Thank you to a MFP memeber for sending me a message, I have forgotten all about this thread.

In the span of this full year I have :

1) Lost 50lbs total
    2) Ran a 10k and beat my time by almost 4 minutes
    3) Ran a Half Marathon
    4) Hiked 14 miles.
    5) Average pace went from 10:00-10:30 down to 8:50-930 on runs under 10 miles
    6) Next week Running, Spartan Beast Mud run (10-13 mile obstacle course)
    7) Went from 0 pulls to 6 pull ups
    8) Got featured on CNN for losing weight
  • directorj
    directorj Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    So I ask myself again this question and the answer is, it's not as extreme and my old fat self is wearing off. I don't even remember having the huge stomach. I got rid of all the fat problems/ insecurities I have and turned into a whole new person.
  • nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    YES!!!! I automatically go to the plus size section even though I wear a 12/14. I often have to return something because I get an XL.
  • nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    WOW!! That is amazing! Good for you!!
    OMG! This was a year ago! A lot has happened to me since. Thank you to a MFP memeber for sending me a message, I have forgotten all about this thread.

In the span of this full year I have :

1) Lost 50lbs total
    2) Ran a 10k and beat my time by almost 4 minutes
    3) Ran a Half Marathon
    4) Hiked 14 miles.
    5) Average pace went from 10:00-10:30 down to 8:50-930 on runs under 10 miles
    6) Next week Running, Spartan Beast Mud run (10-13 mile obstacle course)
    7) Went from 0 pulls to 6 pull ups
    8) Got featured on CNN for losing weight
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    YES! Then I see myself in the mirror and I have to stop and take a closer look to make sure that's really me.
  • Excira
    Excira Posts: 21
    Options
    You are most certainly not alone. I'm a size 4 but I'm an unhealthy size 4... I'm blessed with a tiny waste but that's all that is tiny on me. Even though I lost so much weight to get to this size, my brain thinks like a fat girl and I always see the problems instead of how far I've come.

It's time to change that mentality and remember that you deserve only the best. Think about this - if your friend talked to you the same way you talk to yourself, would he or she still be your friend? ;)
  • fun_b
    fun_b Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I feel a bit freakish looking in the mirror. Don't get me wrong I look a lot better since I have lost some weight. But I was looking at myself in the mirror and it was like a strangers body infront of me. I still have some way to go but I think even after I get to the right size for me, I will feeling strange for a while.
  • willwillywilson
    Options
    Yes LOL. But then again I'm still 240 so I guess I am still fat technnnnically speaking.
  • DeMarraDontStop
    DeMarraDontStop Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Yes I still feel fat even though everyone keeps calling me skinny and I'm far from it!!!
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Yes. But then, I'm an obsessive perfectionist. As long as there's still obvious visible fat I'll feel fat. I set myself quite ludicrous (and possibly unattainable) standards.
  • lizz_617
    lizz_617 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    just a suggestion put on your old clothes when you feel that way to remind yourself that you are quite a bit smaller
  • jjscholar
    jjscholar Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I have to admit that I still feel fat...

However, I bumped up my calorie allowance today to 3300 net calories because for the past five days I have weighed below 175 lbs... In addition, today I had several dizzy spells which made it impossible to enjoy my yoga class...

It is hard, but I have to remind myself that I am not as fat as I used to be...
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I asked a stranger once "would you say I am fat?"

He said yes.

I said " what if I told you I used to be 250 pounds and lost 100?"

He said " then I would think you we're slim"

Don't ask how that all got started but let's just say I was feeling fat after losing 36 pounds. It took my mind 2 yrs to catch up.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    just a suggestion put on your old clothes when you feel that way to remind yourself that you are quite a bit smaller

Good idea. I threw out the oldest, but I did find some jeans I had grown out of and they fit again!,
  • SharmaineP
    SharmaineP Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I still feel fat because I have been fat my whole life. I'm not use to being this lean or "fit". Whenever I shop, I have to bring a friend since my views on clothing are not up to date lol
  • endlesoul
    endlesoul Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I mentally don't feel fat but I sure have a perception problem shopping for clothing.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!