Do you still feel "fat" mentally after a lot of weight loss?

Options

Replies

• Carri1
    Carri1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    It's funny because when I'm on my walk I notice my shadow is thin. -50 here and yes I do too! Hopefully that'll change for all of us!
  • charcharbec
    charcharbec Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I've lost almost 70 lbs (about a lb away from that) and I wear a size 2 in women's, and a size 5 in juniors... smalls and xs's all the time... used to be a size 14/16.... and I still feel COMPLETELY huge ALL the time. Almost like what I have done isn't good enough. Sometimes then I go the other way and think I am smaller than I am and get sad when things are tight or don't fit....

It's called body dismorophia... a LOT of people get it.

Eventually I hear it goes away, but I know a lady who had it when she lost weight and she says she still struggles with it even like 10 years later. So.... it just depends on the person.

I hope that I get over it. I know I don't want to feel uncomfortable in my body forever. It's a really crappy feeling most of the time, and I am sure every time I say or THINK I look fat it makes other people feel uncomfortable who may be feeling that way and haven't lost weight.
  • MsQt
    MsQt Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Yes! :cry:
  • sissamae
    sissamae Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I'm at around 55 pounds lost, and sometimes I look in the mirror, pinch my stomach and say "I'll never lose this" :( This actually happened to me today... I've lost 55 but my brain still tries to tell me I can't do it, which is just wrong.

Thank you for saying this!! I feel the exact same way!! Thank you for sharing!!
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • rabbyduby
    rabbyduby Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I feel the opposite. I am fat but don't feel it. I still see myself thin.
  • poodlepaws
    poodlepaws Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I'm down 100 pounds and yes, I still feel fat. I've gone from XXL at times to a medium and still don't see myself any thinner. I see my jeans and think they're huge.
    Why didn't I think this way before? I did it's just more pronounced now :(
  • venom74799
    venom74799 Posts: 36
    Options
    I still feel like a fatboy even though I've had a few people say I could stand to gain a few pounds. I went from 292 to 172 currently and went from a 4X to a large. I still get that intimidated feeling like im fat albert when trying to approach girls and it annoys the crap outta me. I have realized that I've got to become a social person and get out more to finally get over the hump. I am no longer the person I couldn't look at anymore but someone who needs to capitalize on the cute compliments i get from time to time. >:)
  • Bambi0ne
    Bambi0ne Posts: 16
    Options
    I feel the same way, I have lost 30 pounds but when I see myself in the mirror I still see the fat. But every now and then I catch a view of myself in a store window or a mirror and think that person looks good and then I realize its me and the fat appears again. It must be a mental thing. I hope some day I see me!
  • tg0926
    tg0926 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Ugh yes! This just happened to me today. I was trying to find something to wear because it's so hot out. Since I was baring more skin than usual, I couldn't help but hate everything I put on and think I looked fat in everything. Even though I've lost 20 pounds, and I've toned up, I can't help but still think I look fat! When I feel my skinniest is first thing in the morning before I've eaten anything or right after a workout. Once I eat something, I feel start feeling big again. Anyone else have that problem?? :ohwell:
  • dme1977
    dme1977 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    26531111010778933813100.jpg

EVEN with PROOF!!! I STILL feel and see myself as a big fatty... :sad:
  • cmsu64113
    cmsu64113 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Yep!!!!. Some days I do and some I don't.
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    I've only lost 14 lbs so far, and don't see any difference at all.. other people say they do see it O.o ..I've got about 60 to go and I'm really afraid that I'll never be able to see the difference. I've ALWAYS had this belly and chunky thighs.
  • genuinelyfrans
    Options
    I am still adjusting to fitting into smaller clothes and being complimented (it is kind of overwhelming lol). I still look down at my stomach sometimes and expect to see what my cousin called the "Santa belly".
  • KevDaniel
    KevDaniel Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I still feel this way, it is horrible. Even when people tell me I'm not I still don't believe 100%
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Yes.

I still look in the mirror and see a hideously fat person. I have heard it just takes time to get over that mentality. Still waiting :(
  • GrandmaJackie
    GrandmaJackie Posts: 36,362 Member
    Options
    I totally feel the same way! I went from ta tight 18 pants to a loose 7/8 pants! Plus my tops went from a extra large to small! Hubby keeps saying" Honey, you look like a WHOLE DIFFERENT person". I don't see it! :smile:
  • directorj
    directorj Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Wow I forgot all about this thread I made :laugh: Looks like I'm not down 35lbs from my old post any more
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I just had a bit of a struggle with this this morning. I was feeling like I had gained a bunch of weight, and when my clothes were fitting the same as they always have during maintenance, I had myself convinced that they must have stretched out. Then I stepped on the scale, and the same old number was right there waiting for me. Then everything about myself suddenly snapped back into proportion, as if my mind finally acknowledged reality.

My highest weight was 5.5 years ago, too, so it's not like my brain is new at this. I'm pretty sure I will always, deep down, think my actual weight loss was some sort of delusion! Just have to remember to give my ol' brain a reality check now and then...
  • striveforhealthy
    striveforhealthy Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I don't necessarily feel 'fat' but I don't feel as 'skinny' as people are now perceiving me to be. There is still a lot of work under the clothes that needs to be done but covered under clothes you would never know. I've never been this small in my life so its completely new and I'm still trying to get used to not being the 'big girl'...
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!