Do you still feel "fat" mentally after a lot of weight loss?

Options

Replies

• Jalare
    Jalare Posts: 103
    Options
    I have lost a lot of weight but have a long way to go. I was as high as a size 26 but I currently wear a size 16 jeans. My goal is to be a size 12 (I'm 6 feet tall). I have a co-worker that calls me slim and I cringe a little every time she says it. With that said, I really have a good self esteem, it's not 100% but it's good. I have to agree, I had a hard time believing I lost as much weight as I did. Mentally, I'm in a pretty good place now. My mind is catching up with body. My other mental block is believing I can finish this.
  • sarabig2fit
    sarabig2fit Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    i was just talking to my husband about this. even though i've lost quite a bit of weight since my hw, i am now more unhappy with my body than ever. it's kinda crazy.. i was content, or maybe just in denial before, but now, i can't think about anything that will be better than losing another 100lbs.
  • GemmaRowlands
    GemmaRowlands Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    All the time! I've lost 93lbs, dropped 4 dress sizes, people tell me the difference is shocking, and my BMI is healthy.. yet sometimes I look at myself and wonder whether there's any change at all!

Minds are funny things, just got to let our heads catch up with our bodies :-).
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I am around half way to my goal, but I don't feel like I have made any progress. I know I am smaller, but my clothing size has hardly changed. And my shape is exactly the same. I guess just smaller, although it doesn't really look like it. I don't think I'll actually feel different until my torso and upper body looks significantly different. Right now it is more of the same old trouble spots.
  • bilzprincess
    bilzprincess Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    This is my story too. I still feel like the size 14/16 I was. I have to look at old pictures of myself and really remember that my face shape has even changed. I started losing very slowly over a year ago, and the first 25 still hasn't registered. Now I've reached my original goal weight, changed the goal, and I still haven't wrapped my head around it. Maybe in 20 more lbs I'll be able to accept it better.
  • Taryn1627
    Taryn1627 Posts: 120
    Options
    I've lost 65 pounds...not granted, i'm only halfway to where i want to be, but when i look in the mirror, i feel like i look like the same fat person. The only time I feel that I've lost weight is when I see before and current pictures...or when i put on my size 18 pants...which I have never worn because I've been obese my entire life.

Regardless if I'm only halfway there or not, I think 65 pounds is a huge accomplishment! Halfway there!
  • dancinrascal
    dancinrascal Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Yes, even though I am my goal weight, I still think I have stomach fat...but I'm the only person who sees it haha.
  • chicfreak9
    chicfreak9 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way, although I have not lost nearly as much weight as you have.
  • wookiemouse
    wookiemouse Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Add me to the list. And it annoys the crap out of me!

I was always the "fat girl" growing up. I slimmed down in college, thanks to nasty cafeteria food and no car. Then I gained 60 lbs with my first child, and I went right back to feeling like that "fat girl" again.

6 years later, I've dropped 63 lbs, and my mind still can't match up what I see in the mirror with ME. I can watch shows on tv or see ads and think, "I look just like her!" and find out the woman I'm comparing myself to is 30 lbs heavier and 3 sizes larger. I don't know how to get past that!
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I understand you completley.. I have lost 80 lbs, went from an 18 to an 8 pants, 2X to a medium top and I still look in the mirror somedays and cringe... others I look at myself passing a store and see my reflection and go 'wow is that me' I think for me I have alot of extra skin from having full term twins and its something I will have to accept. It's hard though.
  • kimad
    Options
    I've lost 65 pounds...not granted, i'm only halfway to where i want to be, but when i look in the mirror, i feel like i look like the same fat person. The only time I feel that I've lost weight is when I see before and current pictures...or when i put on my size 18 pants...which I have never worn because I've been obese my entire life.

Regardless if I'm only halfway there or not, I think 65 pounds is a huge accomplishment! Halfway there!

It is huge, you are doing fantastic. Keep it up! I still have image issues though myself.
  • kimad
    Options
    I think I might be obsessed with this whole thing. I find myself scrutinizing every inch of my body every day! I'm always fearful that I'm going to look exactly like I did when I started if I have a day when I "splurge" foodwise (a splurge now is not even equal to what I would have eaten on any given day before I started this journey. My husband always reminds me that I didn't gain the weight overnight, I'm not going to lose it overnight, and I'm certainly not going to regain it overnight!

This is me totally!! Glad I am not alone.
  • nicholettebell
    Options
    Sometimes but I am so glad that it is not as often. I can now go to a restaurant and not have a mental battle with myself that I am not going to fit in the booth when I can. It's very freeing to not have those thoughts as much anymore.
  • JanetLM73
    JanetLM73 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Add me to the list, I've lost 35, I'm 20 pounds away from my goal. I still feel huge. I'm still very self conscious and it makes me cringe to look in a full length mirror.
  • Curvy1taliana
    Curvy1taliana Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Yes... I do often feel fat... still.
  • Jmstill300
    Jmstill300 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I'm hoping that the feeling goes away, but I know it's going to take time.
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I've lost a considerable amount and I feel half and half. About half the time, I feel all slim and trim (after a workout, when I'm in uniform, when I'm wearing something comfortable/flattering) and the other half I still feel the same size as I was 18 months ago (when I'm sitting in the car and my tummy has to choose whether to go over or under my waistline, when I first put on a pair of jeans out of the dryer, aaaaand when I'm naked.) It's a constant struggle between the fat me and the less fat me. I'll say, in the same day, "I feel so skinny!" and "Ugh, I'm jiggly and fat."
  • Temple_Fit
    Temple_Fit Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I feel this way every other week.
  • spearfox
    spearfox Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    YES!
    I have lost 39 pounds in 17 weeks, that's over 2 pounds per week.
    There are days I am on top of the world strutting my stuff.
    A quick look in the mirror confirms that I have lost weight.
    That same look in the mirror also shows where there is a lot of fat to go.
    I get lots of compliments about how much it looks like I lost.

Patience and dedication are the keys. I know I will have a better looking body in the future as long as I stay with this lifestyle change.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    sometimes I do......I am half the size I used to be but there are still times I feel like I am still the old me. I have found though it happens less and less now that I have been my current size for a year now.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!