Do you still feel "fat" mentally after a lot of weight loss?

Replies

• I lost 60 pounds in 2009 and still envision my self the same size, allthough at the time I was in denial of the size I was. If you have any suggestion on how to change this mentality, please share! I just want to feel and look healthy.
  • iluxoxo211
    iluxoxo211 Posts: 241 Member
    This is a daily battle for me.. it gets better trust me..:flowerforyou:
  • TheUnwritten
    TheUnwritten Posts: 158 Member
    Yes! My brothers say I still have my fat guy self esteem.
  • NICOLED73
    NICOLED73 Posts: 183
    I still see myself as the girl on the left side of my profile picture.
    I recently found a dress online that I loved. I called the store and asked them to hold it for me in a size 14. I got there and what I really needed was a 12....maybe even a 10.

Sometimes I have my daughter snap a picture of me so I can then look at it and see what I really look like. But even then, I 'll look at the picture and think that isn't really me.

I don't know how to get passed it either.
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Yes I feel the same way....I have lost 41 pounds and still feel fat...I hate looking in the mirror because all I see is fat.
  • jwhit31
    jwhit31 Posts: 450 Member
    YES!!!! It's so weird to me. When I look in the mirror I see all the areas that need major improvement.....big fat thighs and stomach. When I take pictures I look like a completely different person and I can't believe it's me. I can't see that girl in the photo when I get dressed in the morning but I'm working on it. I'm trying hard to appreciate how far I've come while pushing forward to where I want to be.
  • nk17
    nk17 Posts: 141 Member
    Yes. I can honestly say I have never in my entire life felt anything but fat. Even though I've seen pictures of me that indicate I was at one point severely deluded. I used to be an appropriate weight. I saw the picture. But I never knew it. These days I keep getting told to go buy some clothes that fit, so I'm at least intellectually aware of my loss, but my mental image has definitely not caught up with the changes. I am going to keep working on my mental image since you've made me aware of this and try to tell myself I am changing for the better and the old couch potatoe me is gone. Good luck.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Completely...i've lost 84 pounds and I still feel the same as when I started this journey. My clothes are swimming on me, I need to buy a new wardrobe and I keep putting it off because I don't "see" a change.

I think it comes with time...and annoyance...

by annoyance i mean, I'm starting to get really tired of the oversized clothes, the shirts catching on the corners of the countertops, the pants I'm always hitching up, the bra straps that constantly fall down....

these little annoyances are going to force me to the clothing stores and I think once there, when I fully realise i'm buying smaller clothes it'll start to sink in.

I hope.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Yes - I've lost 120lb and I still feel fat.

That would probably be because I AM still fat.

maybe when i've lost the next 85lb or so I need to lose, I'll start to lighten up a bit, who knows :grumble:
  • Yes! My brothers say I still have my fat guy self esteem.

@TheUnwritten - okay, so I'm a happily married old chick, lol. But honey, get your brother to help you with that self esteem! You're a great lookin' guy! Remind me of a young Christian Slater.

But to all... yes - our minds are our biggest critics. It's like having that angel & devil on our shoulders - constantly trying to fight the down talk. It's that same down talk and lack of self esteem that stopped us from getting healthy when we were heavier. BUT we have proven that we have the strength to beat that voice! Many here seem to have already reached their GW. Others are well on their way! If we can beat that inner negative voice to get this done - we just have to stay determined and beat that voice down to a whisper! It's a tough battle, but we can do it.

I find I feel heavy when I had a "not-so-healthy" day, or slack on working out. I groan before getting on the scale - expecting it to read 10lbs heavier at least... but there it is: 122lbs! It's a constant battle. I also find I start noticing areas that still look "fat" which is rediculous!
  • dme1977
    dme1977 Posts: 537 Member
    I still look at my thighs and stomach and see "thunder thighs":noway: and my stomach and see "un-lovable handles" :sad:
  • marketdimlylit
    marketdimlylit Posts: 1,601 Member
    Yeah even at 137lbs I did.
    Then I got pregnant, went up to 191lbs and regret all the fuss I ever made.
    One of lifes brilliant little life lessons. :sad:
  • dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Yes. :(
  • zumbaabby
    zumbaabby Posts: 59
    Yep! I've lost a total of around 105 pounds, and I still see myself as a big girl. I go straight for clothes that are too big, and even when something fits and is cute, I think I can't wear it because it doesn't look good!
  • coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    No, never, I feel slim and happier, but it does take a while to get used to the smaller sizes, sometimes it's hard to believe when you go out shopping for clothes. I just joined MFP yesterday but I have had a big weight loss before, 20kg plus, so I know how it feels to be fat and slim.
  • CAKEDOC
    CAKEDOC Posts: 110 Member
    SAME HERE!
    Yes, I do feel fat still.

<--- clearly I'm not, though.
  • kturn6420
    kturn6420 Posts: 18 Member
    What I struggle with is the picture I see in my head of myself, and the picture I see in the mirror. In the mirror I still feel like I look like I weighed 250 lbs. I dont feel like I look any smaller, but I feel smaller. In my head, I feel smaller than I am, and in the mirror, to me, I look A LOT bigger than I am. I'm embracing the smaller sizes, but there's that horrible fear I have of trying on my new smaller size and them being too small. So I almost always want to go a size bigger because I feel like if I buy the size 16 I actually am, for some reason it will be too small and I'll be sad. Its a horrible battle between my body and mind.
  • Hoakiebs
    Hoakiebs Posts: 430 Member
    Yup, it takes me going through the bigger sizes in the fitting room before I can believe that I can fit in a 34 (in some clothes) or a 36 again. I went to throw on a T-shirt the other day and all my XLs were in the laundry, so I just grabbed an old M, and low and behold, it actually fit. I started trying on all my old T-shirts, and they all fit. It was so amazing, because I don't feel that I'm that much skinnier.
  • kturn6420
    kturn6420 Posts: 18 Member
    Yes! My brothers say I still have my fat guy self esteem.

@TheUnwritten - okay, so I'm a happily married old chick, lol. But honey, get your brother to help you with that self esteem! You're a great lookin' guy! Remind me of a young Christian Slater.

I thought this same thing when I saw his post! You're a good lookin' guy!
  • victoriasnow
    victoriasnow Posts: 111 Member
    I feel that way a lot too. I recently lost a little over 60 lbs but i still have about 50 to go. i workout every day & eat right but i still feel like i'm not getting anywhere.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!