IUDs and Other Birth Control

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I take Loesterin 24 FE and have had no problems with weight gain or weight loss.. for the most part its been smooth sailing.

I know pills are quite expensive(mine is 25 bucks a month through the normal pharmacy) but we go through a mail order pharmacy that is backed by our insurance, and now my pills are 30 dollars for a 3 month supply instead of 25 for one month.. so it's something to think about.

I personally could never do an IUD.. I already hate my doc digging around up there.. and could not imagine her trying to put an IUD in.. I'd prob. die from the pain!
    The insertion is uncomfortable, but not painful at all. And it's a pretty quick process.

Might not be for you.. but I can not have her do a pap or feel around up there without gripping the table in pain, and yelling at her to hurry up... Don't know what it is, but it always hurts like 10 times more then I feel like it should...

Has your doctor checked you out for why that's happening? It really shouldn't be painful and if it is, there might be something wrong. Pain during sex is one of the warning signs of some major issues, and a Pap is pretty much the same kind of thing as far as mechanics go and all.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I take Loesterin 24 FE and have had no problems with weight gain or weight loss.. for the most part its been smooth sailing.

I know pills are quite expensive(mine is 25 bucks a month through the normal pharmacy) but we go through a mail order pharmacy that is backed by our insurance, and now my pills are 30 dollars for a 3 month supply instead of 25 for one month.. so it's something to think about.

I personally could never do an IUD.. I already hate my doc digging around up there.. and could not imagine her trying to put an IUD in.. I'd prob. die from the pain!
    The insertion is uncomfortable, but not painful at all. And it's a pretty quick process.

Might not be for you.. but I can not have her do a pap or feel around up there without gripping the table in pain, and yelling at her to hurry up... Don't know what it is, but it always hurts like 10 times more then I feel like it should...

Has your doctor checked you out for why that's happening? It really shouldn't be painful and if it is, there might be something wrong. Pain during sex is one of the warning signs of some major issues, and a Pap is pretty much the same kind of thing as far as mechanics go and all.

I mean, she hasn't been too worried about it.. and I'm not sexually active at all, so the only time it happens is during the pap.. but I also have a low pain tolerance, so that may be playing an issue. I told her last time it hurt a lot, and she used a smaller speculum, but it still hurt.

I would have her check it out more extensively, but I'd really rather she got in and out as fast as possible.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I have the copper (Paragard) IUD since 2007. I love love love it. I had one awful 10-day period right after insertion, but now my periods are 4-5 days and normal. No cramps. I know side effects can include heavier periods and cramping, but I've been fine. $400 and I'm set for 10 years.

Hormonal birth control (this would include mirena) f*cks me up bad. I was clinically depressed for about two years because of the hormones, had horrible migraines, etc.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I mean, she hasn't been too worried about it.. and I'm not sexually active at all, so the only time it happens is during the pap.. but I also have a low pain tolerance, so that may be playing an issue. I told her last time it hurt a lot, and she used a smaller speculum, but it still hurt.

I would have her check it out more extensively, but I'd really rather she got in and out as fast as possible.

I'm REALLY surprised she isn't more concerned. I think the tests required to diagnose a possible issue are not quite so invasive (ultrasounds, etc.). I really recommend you do a Google search about pain during intercourse and what it could mean. Even though you're not having sex, it's pretty much the same warning sign. A doctor should be more concerned.
  • mindfulmunching
    mindfulmunching Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Have had the Mirena for 8 years and for all 8 years had positions that were off limits and post orgasm cramping. Just took it out and all my issues have gone away completely.
  • jennydanger77
    Options
    i had Paraguard for about 6 months and had to have it removed. every day i was in so much pain from my uterus trying to expel it. i also had a ton of mucous ALL THE TIME, which is disgusting. i hated it.

being that i cant have any hormonal BC [cancer] i was disappointed to have it removed. now we just use VCF [i have reactions to almost every condom on the market]. i also considered having a tubal ligation, but then learned about PTLS [post tubal ligation syndrome] and didnt want to risk it, knowing my luck i would have suffered the worst, lol.

any IUD can be a blessing or a curse, you pretty much just have to take the chance and see.
  • PippaJo_
    PippaJo_ Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I have a Paragard, and I love it. LOVE. IT.

It does cause *slightly* heavier periods, but my periods beforehand were so light that it wasn't a problem for me.

I love, love, love not having to worry about bc - not having to remember if I took a pill or not (I'm forgetful that way), not having to deal with the expense of the nuvaring (which I otherwise loved, but insurance wouldn't pay for, which is ridiculous), not having to deal with condoms and the stupidity of having to use those as a married woman. I'd like a little intimacy with my sex, please and thank you!

The insertion is very odd-feeling, but painful isn't the word I'd use. It's not easy to describe, because there's no sensation like it, really, but it's like, three seconds and done.

Until science comes up with a 'switch' for women, so we can turn our fertility on and off at will - this is the best option for me.
  • rblair_22
    rblair_22 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I would just be careful of and IUD. I personally have never used one, but my younger sister was given one and when she went back for her next yearly, they couldn't find it! Her OB had to do an ultrasound to make sure that it did not travel into her uterus. It was finally determined that it just fell out on its own!
  • Hollieox
    Options
    I've just had my implant removed because it messed with my body so much so now I need to think about other options but everyone will react differently so you should think about what kind you'd be comfortable with:)
  • NinjaMonkey201
    Options
    I have the Mirena and so far love it. I've had it since July and so far no real problems. The first few months you bleed/spot off and on. And strangely, I feel "fuller". Not my stomach, but like if I have a full bladder, it feels fuller than it should be and I'll start to cramp. But that's all I've noticed.
    Oh, and it's so nice not having TOM come for a visit. :-)
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your replies! I will definitely be doing more research and will consider trying the IUDs and seeing how my body reacts to them.
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options

I'm REALLY surprised she isn't more concerned. I think the tests required to diagnose a possible issue are not quite so invasive (ultrasounds, etc.). I really recommend you do a Google search about pain during intercourse and what it could mean. Even though you're not having sex, it's pretty much the same warning sign. A doctor should be more concerned.

How can you even compare sex to a gynecologist visit? While I don't grip the table in pain, I won't lie and say they're a walk in the park, either. They're more than uncomfortable for some women. Personally, I hate them, and they ARE painful for me, to the point that I've screamed out and had to yell at them to stop and they've had to switch what they were using to better accommodate. However, my boyfriend and I are just fine, if you get my drift. No pain, unless, ya know, it's been a while, and even then it's nowhere near the pain of an exam. Different factors come into play, too, like lubrication and how comfortable the person is being examined, etc. You can't ram something up there and assume it's going to feel the same as having sex with a man.
  • dckim
    dckim Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    sounds like BC is such a hassle, why not just abstain? :flowerforyou:
  • stronglikebull
    Options

It does cause *slightly* heavier periods, but my periods beforehand were so light that it wasn't a problem for me.

I love, love, love not having to worry about bc - not having to remember if I took a pill or not (I'm forgetful that way), not having to deal with the expense of the nuvaring (which I otherwise loved, but insurance wouldn't pay for, which is ridiculous), not having to deal with condoms and the stupidity of having to use those as a married woman. I'd like a little intimacy with my sex, please and thank you!

The insertion is very odd-feeling, but painful isn't the word I'd use. It's not easy to describe, because there's no sensation like it, really, but it's like, three seconds and done.

Until science comes up with a 'switch' for women, so we can turn our fertility on and off at will - this is the best option for me.

if you have your doctor bill it to insurance as 'hormone therapy' instead of just birth control, they'll be a lot more likely to cover it for you!
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options

Because sex is a natural, beautiful, joyful expression of love between my boyfriend and me.
  • KimmyEB
    Options

Because sex is a natural, beautiful, joyful expression of love between my boyfriend and me.

You answered this a lot nicer than I would have, haha. Thank you!
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    If you have regular cycles, you should try reading Taking Charge of Your Fertility. Requires tracking, but highly reliable method for those with regular cycles, regardless of length between, and hormone free, cost free.
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options

if you have your doctor bill it to insurance as 'hormone therapy' instead of just birth control, they'll be a lot more likely to cover it for you!

I don't know of many doctors who are willing to commit insurance fraud...
  • stronglikebull
    Options

its not insurance fraud. way to be a debbie downer. birth control does regulate hormones and a lot of women take the pill/nuvaring/etc for reasons other than to explicitly prevent pregnancy. its a totally legitimate use of the prescription. that's the reason i use my nuvaring and i'm not even sexually active. so sorry to knock you off your horsey.
  • KimmyEB
    Options

its not insurance fraud. way to be a debbie downer. birth control does regulate hormones and a lot of women take the pill/nuvaring/etc for reasons other than to explicitly prevent pregnancy. its a totally legitimate use of the prescription. that's the reason i use my nuvaring and i'm not even sexually active. so sorry to knock you off your horsey.

Yeah...a good friend of mine was on it to regulate her period, and she was a virgin. I believe my cousin was put on it for a similar reason when she was only a teenager.