do you toss out the bread?

Options
Looking for some input...recently, when I do cheat a little and get a cheeseburger, I've only eaten the meat, cheese, and veggies...no mayo/ketchup/mustard and no bread. I've noticed that after I'm done eating, I definitely don't feel as heavy and full. Has anyone else done this, and does it help?

Replies

• mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Nope, I <3 bread...but I try and use lower calorie, high fiber, low sodium bread. If I don't have it, I feel unsatisfied and will usually have an unhealthy snack or 3. Just be smart about your choices. Anything can be eaten in moderation.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I love bread. I eat whole wheat bread now but I still eat it. I'm not giving up my bread. :)
  • hpsaucette
    hpsaucette Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Well burger buns are normally awfully made stuff so I wouldn't be surprised, I give it to the person with me/dog.
    Nope, I <3 bread...but I try and use lower calorie, high fiber, low sodium bread. If I don't have it, I feel unsatisfied and will usually have an unhealthy snack or 3. Just be smart about your choices. Anything can be eaten in moderation.

Where do you get such mythical low in everything bread? Most I can ever find is danish white light which I don't really trust, and it's almost impossible to judge the calories on something nice, brown and hearty.
  • TXBlonde81
    TXBlonde81 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I'll wrap it in lettuce, other times I use bread, and then there are other times where I use shredded lettuce and make a salad off of it. I think you'd be ok adding in ketchup and mustard as the calories are negligable if you measure it out.
  • clrtaylor
    Options
    I still eat bread. Just NOT white. I have found I love the heartier breads that are high in fiber, plus they are better for you.
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    I have cut down on my bread, but I still eat some.
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I very rarely eat bread, I get my carbs from potatoes, brown rice, fruits and beans! Now that I have lost my weight I will have whole wheat bread on occasion! But I am totally ok with not eating it!
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I love bread, especially artisan type bread. But I have cut back, and now notice that much of it has started feeling gummy or over-filling. I'm sticking to the little flatbreads, and to the Sara Lee 45 calorie breads, which don't give me that bloated feeling.
  • mcdebbie
    mcdebbie Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    oh yeah, and not so much because of the calories but because those white bread buns just taste yuck now. At home we use the Arnolds sandwich thins for burgers and I like Pepperidge Farms 7 grain thin bread but we never eat white bread.

My DH can eat an entire burger without eating any bun, rather interesting to watch. :laugh: He doesn't take it off, just kind of peels it away as he goes.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I only toss the bread if it has gluten, if it's gluten free I munch it down. Carbs are not the enemy, calories are the enemy (but for me, I have allergies so gluten is also an enemy).
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    Well burger buns are normally awfully made stuff so I wouldn't be surprised, I give it to the person with me/dog.

Where do you get such mythical low in everything bread? Most I can ever find is danish white light which I don't really trust, and it's almost impossible to judge the calories on something nice, brown and hearty.

Bread is easy to make, and I make it with little to no fat and very little salt, plus there *are* ready made breads that are much better qualitiy. low (or no) fat, low sodium - and those all come with nutrition information on the wrapper. You don't have to "judge" the calories - just read the label!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Bread can have a surprising amount of calories, so this is a good idea if you don't care about the bread. If I felt deprived without bread I would go ahead and have some - maybe half of it, or just do some extra exercise.

Personally though I have always thought there is too much bread on hamburgers. If I have a second hamburger or hot dog I don't eat the bread - and I've always done that, even when not trying to lose weight.
  • DEGiltz
    DEGiltz Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I just take my burger off the bun and use a knife and fork; makes it a little ground sirloin steak. I stack a bite of lettuce, tomato, onion, pickle and and burger on my fork for the perfect bite (ala. When Harry Met Sally) YUM!
  • ElizabethRoad
    Options

Bread is easy to make, and I make it with little to no fat and very little salt, plus there *are* ready made breads that are much better qualitiy. low (or no) fat, low sodium - and those all come with nutrition information on the wrapper. You don't have to "judge" the calories - just read the label!
    Really nice bread doesn't come with a label.
  • Jagmamma
    Options
    I don't do the bread tossing thing. I don't like wasting so I usually just avoid bread for bread's sake most of the time. When I have bread, I really enjoy it and make sweet tender love to it and show it how much I appreciate it. LOL Ok, not really the last part, but I do make noises when I finally go for it so I warn innocent bystanders. :wink:

Long story short, you can control this more the less you eat out. For example, my kids love chick-fil-a and it's surprisingly high in calories so I cut back on them by ordering a normal order of nuggets and wrapping them in a few big fronds of their green leaf lettuce and tomato with a little mayo. It's lunch with the kids, not quite the candle-lit, Chris Brown playing setting I need to get in the bread mood.

Sometimes the "my pleasure" kids working there look at me like I'm a weirdo but I enjoy that, so I just smirk and leave with my lettuce. It's good! It's easier to tweak this at home, obviously but greens make a great, nutritious sub for our bread-base way of thinking.
    I doubt that's helpful but that's what I do. :)
  • Gemnildy
    Gemnildy Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I love my fresh bread but if I am eating fast food I do try to get the better burger and usually don't eat the bun. I have noticed that I don't get that bloated sensation and I can still enjoy a few french fries while I am splurging!
  • ElizabethRoad
    Options
    I don't do the bread tossing thing. I don't like wasting so I usually just avoid bread for bread's sake most of the time. When I have bread, I really enjoy it and make sweet tender love to it and show it how much I appreciate it. LOL Ok, not really the last part, but I do make noises when I finally go for it so I warn innocent bystanders. :wink:

Long story short, you can control this more the less you eat out. For example, my kids love chick-fil-a and it's surprisingly high in calories so I cut back on them by ordering a normal order of nuggets and wrapping them in a few big fronds of their green leaf lettuce and tomato with a little mayo. It's lunch with the kids, not quite the candle-lit, Chris Brown playing setting I need to get in the bread mood.

Sometimes the "my pleasure" kids working there look at me like I'm a weirdo but I enjoy that, so I just smirk and leave with my lettuce. It's good! It's easier to tweak this at home, obviously but greens make a great, nutritious sub for our bread-base way of thinking.
    If they ever open a Chik-Fil-A near me, I'm just gonna resign myself to being fat.
  • jessicanottingham
    jessicanottingham Posts: 22 Member
    Options

I love the way you think!! lol!
  • eellis2000
    eellis2000 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    i love sausage and cheese biscuits from mcdonald's and i was eating them everyday on the way to work and i tried for a while to just eat the sausage patty. It helped for me cause i didn't feel like i was giving up the whole thing. Now i only get them like twice a month so i have the biscuit and cheese. But yes tossing out the bread cuts down on the cals. It also cuts down on the full feeling. Sometimes i only get rid of half the bun like on subway or sonic where the buns are huge.
  • hpsaucette
    hpsaucette Posts: 102 Member
    Options

Really nice bread doesn't come with a label.

Thank you, that was what I was going to say. And I was asking what these ready made brands that have good nutritional content actually are.