do you toss out the bread?

Options

Replies

• MercedesV
    MercedesV Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Anyone try sprouted bread? It's more grainy than regular bread but now I'm used to it. It's bread in it's most natural form. YUMMM!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Unless the bread is something really really special, I try to avoid it.

The bread on a burger? I don't eat it. But because I like the EXPERIENCE of eating a burger with my hands rather than with a fork, I will tear off pieces of the top and bottom bun where I'm getting ready to take the next bite until I'm down to a tiny bite of sandwich with a piece of bun just big enough to keep my thumb and forefinger from actually touching the meat, and I WILL eat that little bit.

I also pitch the mayo and ketchup--but that's because I don't like them-- and the cheese.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    it's not a burger without the roll, sorry

and bread is yummy so no reason to totally cut it out, just fit it into your daily cals
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

and bread is yummy so no reason to totally cut it out, just fit it into your daily cals
    This! :drinker:
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Eating a cheeseburger isn't cheating. You can eat anything you want as long as it is in you calorie range. Its the amounts you eat. When everything you like is cheating you won't stick with this long.
  • 1FitBabe
    1FitBabe Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have been eating the Arnolds sandwich thins...quite tasty. I add a little turkey, mustard and 1/2 slice cheese and melt it on the George Foreman panini style. It would work well as a bun also.

I also make up my own egg mcmuffins. One english muffin with an egg and 1/2 piece of cheese, wrap and freeze. Ready at a moment's notice and low calorie.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I find I often feel better and less bloated if I remove some of the bread. I don't do this always, just sometimes. :) And I'd prefer to get my cals elsewhere.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I have to extremely limit breads altogether due to some rare metabolic issues Im dealing with... I did though find Joseph's low-carb breads that dont give me any problems whatsoever though...

Any other breads, I cannot eat, period!
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Haven't you all had a In N' Out Protein Style?

Wrap it in iceburg lettuce. Nice crunch without the carbs.
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I don't use bread on my burgers anymore, either. If I make it at home, I'll use big pieces of lettuce for my "bun" and if I'm at a restaurant, I ask them to hold it and give me extra lettuce. I prefer how it tastes without bread, to be honest.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options

Some bread is yummy, but those crappy hamburger buns are not.
  • Jess22542
    Options
    I usually go with one slice of bread. Throw away the top and eat the bottom. It better for me as far as satisfying my cravings, but typically cuts out at least 100 calories.
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Yes, I toss the bread. I have Celiac and the bread will make me deathly ill. I think the burger tastes yummy just by itself with the lettuce, tomato, onion, pickle and salt.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

it depends on where you're eating said burger. i've had burgers on fresh made brioche buns, but i'm perfectly fine with a martin's potato roll
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options

I agree. Not to mention, why is a cheeseburger "cheating"? Fit it into your calories if you want a cheeseburger. None of this lettuce-is-a-bun nonsense for me.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options

it depends on where you're eating said burger. i've had burgers on fresh made brioche buns, but i'm perfectly fine with a martin's potato roll

Martins!

You're from either PA or NJ I bet!

(threadjack over)

I like eating hamburgers bunless with a fork. I'd rather eat my calories in the form of bacon and grilled onions on top. Yum yum.
  • Classalete
    Classalete Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Carb intake boils down to timing. Pre-activity and post-activity are your best windows of opportunity to replenish your body's glycogen levels.
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    Well burger buns are normally awfully made stuff so I wouldn't be surprised, I give it to the person with me/dog.
    Nope, I <3 bread...but I try and use lower calorie, high fiber, low sodium bread. If I don't have it, I feel unsatisfied and will usually have an unhealthy snack or 3. Just be smart about your choices. Anything can be eaten in moderation.

Where do you get such mythical low in everything bread? Most I can ever find is danish white light which I don't really trust, and it's almost impossible to judge the calories on something nice, brown and hearty.

Bread is easy to make, and I make it with little to no fat and very little salt, plus there *are* ready made breads that are much better qualitiy. low (or no) fat, low sodium - and those all come with nutrition information on the wrapper. You don't have to "judge" the calories - just read the label!
    Really nice bread doesn't come with a label.

You must be talking about fresh bakery bread? You can ask for nutritional information. I mostly make my bread, but other than at the bakery, I haven't seen any without a label. And I have never *bought* bakery bread, since it isn't going to be any fresher than homemade!
  • jecka31
    jecka31 Posts: 284
    Options
    Nope but then I'm a carb addict!! I try and switch to a whole grain bun/roll/bread when possible.
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    Well burger buns are normally awfully made stuff so I wouldn't be surprised, I give it to the person with me/dog.
    Nope, I <3 bread...but I try and use lower calorie, high fiber, low sodium bread. If I don't have it, I feel unsatisfied and will usually have an unhealthy snack or 3. Just be smart about your choices. Anything can be eaten in moderation.

Where do you get such mythical low in everything bread? Most I can ever find is danish white light which I don't really trust, and it's almost impossible to judge the calories on something nice, brown and hearty.

Bread is easy to make, and I make it with little to no fat and very little salt, plus there *are* ready made breads that are much better qualitiy. low (or no) fat, low sodium - and those all come with nutrition information on the wrapper. You don't have to "judge" the calories - just read the label!
    Really nice bread doesn't come with a label.

Thank you, that was what I was going to say. And I was asking what these ready made brands that have good nutritional content actually are.

Ezekiel breads in the freezer section!