Tornados, Earthquakes, and hurricanes!

Options
13»

Replies

• agwilker
    agwilker Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Tornadoes the most. Hurricanes the least. Tornadoes because I live in Indiana and we get warnings/watches quite frequently. So I am the most nervous because it actually has a possibility of happening here. Also, even though you know you get a warning you don't know for sure where it's going to hit until it does. Hurricanes and earthquakes you get a general radius of the affected area, so you can expect it. I have experienced a small earthquake we had here a few years ago. I just thought I was hallucinating, you know since I'm in Indiana and not California. Since hurricanes/earthquakes are less likely here, I wouldn't say I'm nervous about either. I've also never experience a bad earthquake or a hurricane at all. So I don't have a whole lot of comparison. :tongue:
  • VeryKerri
    VeryKerri Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Hurricanes are fun! Bring on the party... I live on the gulf of Mexico and we get our fair share. Just pop a top on the beer and hop in the back of a truck to watch the show (no judegment please :smile: ). Tornado's dont really scare me that much either, but earthquakes on the other hand.... NO THANKS!

Please do not make jokes in the 'chit chat fun and games' section. Come to think of it, should you really be joking about alcohol, either? Remember that people can be easily offended..........even the ones who scoff at how sensitive others are.
    But, next time we have a hurricane warning and we're all 'hunkering down', I'll know where to find the beer! :wink:

Don't be such a bully sheesh!

Ha! I love you!

:bigsmile:
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Yay! I'm totally learning about this stuff in Geology class right now. Earthquakes scare the crap out of me after learning more about them. I live in an area where they aren't common at all so they don't scare me as much as if I lived in Sumatra or something...

I would say that tornadoes have fascinated me and scared the crap out of me for most of my life. I used to have such a phobia for them that would overtake my life. It was quite pathetic LOL! And ironically we don't have those here either. =P

A lava flow is quite a possibility here though in the next few thousand years... now THAT would be scary.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I've only experienced tornado warnings having growing up in Missouri and those I can handle because you usually know when conditions are right for a tornado and you have some warning. My first earthquake was the Nisqually earthquake in Washington back in 2001. NO WARNINGS!!! I was seriously ready to hightail it back to Missouri. I've never been around a hurricane so I can't say anything about that. So I will say earthquakes make me more nervous.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Yay! I'm totally learning about this stuff in Geology class right now. Earthquakes scare the crap out of me after learning more about them. I live in an area where they aren't common at all so they don't scare me as much as if I lived in Sumatra or something...

I would say that tornadoes have fascinated me and scared the crap out of me for most of my life. I used to have such a phobia for them that would overtake my life. It was quite pathetic LOL! And ironically we don't have those here either. =P

A lava flow is quite a possibility here though in the next few thousand years... now THAT would be scary.

I live too close to Mt. Rainier in Washington State and the thought of that mountain blowing scares the crap out of me. Even worse than earthquakes. If I had the chance to move back to the midwest, I'd move in a heartbeat.
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    Options
    I was recently in a tornado, but have always been afraid of them... this incident just exacerbated it... x1,000,000!
    I think a hurricane is second runner up though.. especially when my folks decided to take us to Florida during the hurricane season.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Funny that you mention this, because metro Atlanta is under a tornado warning right now. The sirens are going off as I type haha. You get used to them down here in the south.

Hi neighbor.

There's one a couple of miles from my house that when sounding, just means portions of Cobb/Fulton/and Cherokee. Then there's another one that's two blocks away that was going off for around 30 minutes

All gone now.

Ohh you're from woodstock. That's where I grew up. I went to Etowah high school and my parents still live in Towne Lake. I'm in marietta now.. so only like 20 miles away!
  • BloomingLily
    BloomingLily Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Tornado. I live in Virgina (near the TN border) and had never really experienced one until April 27-28 of this year. That's when the fear started.

I didn't feel the earthquake that happened in VA a few months ago, although the people at work clearly felt it and were freaking out. Have never really experienced a hurricane. Given the choice, I would pass on all three. :)