Diet Sodas

Options
1235»

Replies

• alcon79
    alcon79 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Did you read that article? It mentions "the study doesn't prove cause and effect", it was based on a survey people filled out one day, and they admit that all the factors together (diet, smoking, exercising, drinking) may have a cumulative effect.

And it hasn't been peer reviewed.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Drink what you want, I know its not good for me so I choose to stay away from it. I'm not here to argue.
    Of course not. Especially when there's no real way to back your opinion. But you should be ready to back it if questioned.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Actually that's not true. There have been studies recently in the new linking diet soda consumption to a greatly increased risk of stroke, up to 50%. Here's a link to information on WebMD: http://www.webmd.com/stroke/news/20110209/is-diet-soda-linked-to-heart-stroke-risk
    Guess you missed this part:
    Still, the study doesn't prove cause and effect. And even though the researchers tried to account for risk factors that that could skew the results, they couldn't tease out everything, doctors caution.

"You try to control for everything, but you can't," says Steven Greenberg, MD, PhD, vice chair of the ISC meeting committee and professor of neurology at Harvard Medical School.

Thanks for the info though.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Actually that's not true. There have been studies recently in the new linking diet soda consumption to a greatly increased risk of stroke, up to 50%. Here's a link to information on WebMD: http://www.webmd.com/stroke/news/20110209/is-diet-soda-linked-to-heart-stroke-risk

thank you.
    Read the WHOLE thing. Especially the part about "cause and effect".

IDEA Fitness member
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Not this again...

If you think diet soda will make your hair fall out, your bones brittle, make you gain weight, make you grow an extra head, fine! Don't drink it!

But don't try to put over your own personal opinion as fact and scare others who are more rational. A diet coke a day will not hurt you, assuming you don't have an adverse reaction to aspartame, which most people don't. Either ignore the scaremongerers or join them. Either way the facts remain the same. Aspartame is safe in regular doses. Anything done that says otherwise has been administered in extreme amounts.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Aren't you making some assumptions here monster. I don't know if people are trying to tell us that 1 diet coke will be the death of us but I think most are generally referring to the excessive drinkers here.

At least I was anyway.
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    The best no calorie drink for you is water.
  • VinniF
    VinniF Posts: 51
    Options
    O god!!!

No, You will not die, get fat, become lazy, eat more, or give birth to aliens from drinking it. This is a lose/lose questions around here. If you crave it, it is WAY better than the regular. Or treat yourself to one regular soda a week.

someone has some GREAT common sense :flowerforyou:

agree
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    The best no calorie drink for you is water.

No one is arguing against that. But to say that is is the ONLY thing you should ever drink is well, ya know.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options

still not a peer reviewed clinical study. Just an article.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Again not a Peer reviewed clinical study. It's an opinion from a "health nut".

A Peer reviewed clinical study is one that is done with no bias. It's tested empirically and scrutinized by other unbiased entities to see if there's any erroneous information that can be challenged. Journals of Medicine, endocrinology, metabolism, etc. are a good place to start.

IDEA Fitness member