Nook or Kindle?

Options

Replies

• KendraElmendorf
    KendraElmendorf Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    They're both great.

I love the Nook because they have one free book every Friday, in addition to the huge free library they have all the time. I also like the touch screen. My mom hates the touch screen, so she prefers her Kindle. Potato, potato. The only downside to the buttons on the Kindle is that the letters rub off fairly quickly. My mom's keyboard is already almost blank and she's had to write several of the letters back on with a marker.

I agree with this^ and I also love that i can share with my friends
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I'm a physical book person as well, but I think if I were going to change I'd go with a Kindle. After listening to a story on NPR last night, I heard that it actually costs more to make the Kindle Fire than Amazon is asking for them. Which means, in my opinion, that Amazon is WAY invested in this product, which is a good thing.
  • CrawlingChaos
    Options
    I've played around with the nook before I picked up a kindle. The kindle felt better to me. And with the new kindles being so cheap, I think that's the way to go. The "with ads" edition is really nice. It's $30 less and the ads are not intrusive. They only show up on the screen saver and a small ad bar when browsing your library. In my experience the ads have been pretty spot on to things I am interested in buying.

And not that it really makes a difference, the on-device store for kindle feels a little easier to navigate than the nook.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Which model of Kindle are you looking at?

I have the Nook. I "enabled" it to use all the Android features that were locked out and I use it like a tablet. I don't like it at all as an e-book reader. So I ordered the new $79 Kindle and LOVE the e-ink. So much better for reading.

So...for me...they both have their place :)

Unless you got the Nook color, the regular Nook uses e-ink as well.

I literally tried to turn the page the other day when i was reading because i was so engrossed and it seems so much like a real book.
    Good call! I forgot about the e-ink Nook! Thanks for clarifying.

Yeah, seems a few people are confusing the Nook color with the E-ink Nook.

Nook color is crap and i don't know why anyone would get one if they actually wanted to read books..so bad for your eyes!

Sure makes a great Angry Birds delivery system though :D
  • Cmon78
    Cmon78 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have a Kindle Fire.....LOVE it!!
  • jlb95
    jlb95 Posts: 29
    Options
    I love my nook! The only advice I'd give about it is make sure you get one of the newer ones with a full touchscreen. They are much easier to operate and are wonderful quality. (:
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I just preordered the Kindle fire for my 10 year old daughter. It's in color with a touch screen. The only thing I can see that it doesn't have that an Ipad does is a camera feature.

It also doesn't have the price tag the iPad has. Just sayin'....
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options

I have the Nook. I "enabled" it to use all the Android features that were locked out and I use it like a tablet. I don't like it at all as an e-book reader. So I ordered the new $79 Kindle and LOVE the e-ink. So much better for reading.

I literally tried to turn the page the other day when i was reading because i was so engrossed and it seems so much like a real book.
    Good call! I forgot about the e-ink Nook! Thanks for clarifying.

Yeah, seems a few people are confusing the Nook color with the E-ink Nook.

Nook color is crap and i don't know why anyone would get one if they actually wanted to read books..so bad for your eyes!

Sure makes a great Angry Birds delivery system though :D

lol i bet! but i use my phone for that stuff :-P
  • CoachMelissaDi
    CoachMelissaDi Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I love my kindle! I read it when I am up on the elliptical and it has a no glare screen so the gym lights do bounce off of it.
  • bethanyweathers
    bethanyweathers Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    REAL BOOKS FOREVER! (I'm in school to be a librarian, I'm biased).
  • mollymoo89
    Options
    I have the nook color and love it!!!
  • dHowe4406
    Options

libraries have ebooks too...
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options

I used to be all about real books, but then we moved and our library here sucks and there are no bookstores, so my husband got me the Nook even though I had expressly forbidden it. It took me 2 days to fall in love. I still like real books a whole lot, but there's something to be said for carrying your whole library in your purse.
  • yvonnemfp
    yvonnemfp Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have the nook simple touch. Love that you can read it in sunlight.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options

This! I've had my nook for a few weeks and I'm still fighting the urge the turn the page.

I am not sure if they are still available, but I just got a refurbished Nook Touch (regularly $139) for $79 (same price as the first edition Nook's and Kindles). Check out the BN website, they might still have some.

I went with the Nook because my brother's girlfriend works at Barnes and Noble so she could get me a discount, also because my brother has one so we could lend books back and forth (that may help sway your decision if you know many people with one or the other). But also because I am very interested in checking out books from libraries. I was told that the format that Nook's ebooks are in is a more universal format (I can't remember the technical jargon) but Kindle's ebooks are specifically for Kindle, so if a library is going to have one or the other, it will likely be the ones compatible with Nook.
  • janett9802
    Options
    I pre-ordered my Kindle Fire and expecting it soon. The only bad this is that it doesn't have 3G like the previous Kindle does. My daughter has the older 3G one and she loves it. I'm getting it mainly for school so I can download my textbooks onto it instead of buying actual books which are so costly.
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I had the original nook and upgraded to the nook touch when it came out. I love it. Its small and light and the touch screen is great. The price is now $99 which is the same price as the Kindle Touch but the Kindle at that price requires ads. (Sure they say they're not obtrusive but I'll take my nook with non-existant ads...)

I love being able to go into the B&N stores and read free books if I want but ultimately both are very similar.
  • NinjaMonkey201
    Options
    Thank you all so very much. This was a huge help! I would love to stick with a good-ol'-book, but being a stay-at-home mom makes it very difficult to find "alone" time to go to the bookstore or library. Checking out a book on-line is just more convenient for me.
    And let's face it... it's only a matter of time before B&N shuts down, too. I miss Borders. :*-(
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    And let's face it... it's only a matter of time before B&N shuts down, too. I miss Borders. :*-(

Sadly, I am seeing that as well. Amazon is just very competitive price-wise. My cousin loved Borders.

As for the question, I guess it's first between whether you want an e-ink ereader or a multipurpose tablet. And then it's about whether you want Amazon's or B&N's e-ink ereader or tablet.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Strictly for reading, I'd say go with a non-color e-ink device. I have a Kindle and love it. If you stare at a computer screen all day long like I do, you don't want another backlit device to read on (this means any laptop, iPad, etc. - not sure about the color devices, but suspect they are backlit as well). The Kindle e-ink has ZERO eyestrain and if you are one to read a few books at once, it makes traveling really nice.