Dreading Thanksgiving Dinner?

Options
Hey everyone, Is anyone else dreading Thanksgiving Dinner? For me I am not worried about being able to control portions, my problem is the calorie content in each of the items on the dinner table. I have noticed that If I have even one bad meal I am 3-4lbs up and it takes about 1 week to get that off even with all the exercise I do everyday.

I am worried because even though I plan to workout hard that morning as well as only allow myself a bite of apple pie as well as a bite pumpkin cheesecake (rather then having a whole slice), I am worried that I will gain a lot. I am going to limit my portions to as small as possible of all the fixings and I have already imputed my recipes onto MFP so I know how much a serving really is. I just fear that even if I stay within my calories that it won't matter and I will balloon up like always.

I was just wondering who else is worrying about what the holidays is going to do to their progress. It would be nice to know if there are others out there worried about the same thing.

Replies

• cmiles23
    cmiles23 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    drink tons of water, you probably retain water............
  • Dannypuck
    Dannypuck Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I'm dreading it a little, but I'm going to get out ahead of it. I'm going to do a lot of working out earlier in the week so I can enjoy myself on Turkey Day and then go to it during the weekend and few days after.
  • eddie8131
    eddie8131 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I'm dreading it because I have no self control, none, in those situations where I am in a group around a table with food. I feel everyone's expectations weighing on me to eat, eat lots.
  • flinchyny
    flinchyny Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Nope, not dreading it -- looking forward to it! I love Thanksgiving dinner. One large meal for a special occasion is more than OK. Lifestyle change, not diet. :)
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I may be the odd duck on this one but no, not worried at all... I've hit it hard this week, hitting it harder next week and plan on enjoying every bit of Thanksgiving dinner and deserts then back at it Friday =)
  • LadyGhostDuchess
    LadyGhostDuchess Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I am dreading it because I only do 1200 calories a day - I am a snacked and this might kill me :( I am really hopping it wont though :(
  • Soccer_Chick
    Soccer_Chick Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'm looking forward to it, in fact I am planning the menu right now. We still have to live people! :) If we feel that we can never splurge, never just relax and enjoy then we will not last long on this journey. Just enjoy responsibly, keep working out, and share your leftovers with neighbors! :)
  • bunnyb11
    bunnyb11 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    i feel you pain on this one as my mom informed me that i have to help her cook this year an im so bad for taste testing while cooking especially if its something i really like. ..............But we will get thru it i just keep thinking drink plenty of water and eat in moderation...SMALL PORTIONS........LOTS OF PROTEIN..........

GOOD LUCK & HAPPY HOLIDAYS
  • therapyruns
    therapyruns Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    honestly, people should not worry because you, and only YOU have the control as to what you ultimately consume. eat what you want (however large/small the portion) and you can either end up content after a meal or accept that you may need to exercise more the next few days to burn off extra calories. my advice is slightly biased considering I am a strict vegan and will eat mostly vegetables and healthy appetizers.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I'm looking forward to Thanksgiving and the 5 mile Turkey Trot I'll be running that morning. I'm considering only serving turkey and 4 pies for dinner.
  • marine_wife0520
    Options
    I'm really nervous. My husband I literally just joined this site and our first weigh in day is Monday then Thanksgiving is Thursday... I'm hoping to at least break even and plan on working out before and after the meal, even if it going for a long walk with the kids. We'll be around family for several days and that's what's making me more nervous than the actual meal.
  • SummerRhi
    SummerRhi Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    The only thing I would be dreading is the candied yams... But since I am spending it with my mom and she hates sweet potatoes I don't have to worry about the temptation. THANK GOODNESS! :D
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    Options
    nope not dreading it at all...got my measureing cups....and my sneakers....gonna eat sensible and exercise and I plan to ENJOY family, friends and FOOTBALL...I refuse to let either the wt loss or the holiday ruin my fun......
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Hoping it doesn't turn into a "food confrontation" for me & trying to refocus on the fun of all being together. Plan to try tastes of what looks good this year and I will not come home sick to my stomach... hopefully
  • jackiemo9
    jackiemo9 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm dreading it too. My plan is to have portion control and hope that the alcohol doesn't affect my perception!!! LOL
  • trsmaier1
    trsmaier1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm 65 yrs. old and been here nearly a year. The thought i dwell on is not what I eat between nov.- jan but what i eat from Jan. through november - its a life change. == Good Luck
  • alerica1
    alerica1 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Nope, not dreading it. For ME the holidays aren't about the food....its about spending quality time with my kids.
  • HavenIryxia
    HavenIryxia Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I am dreading it because I only do 1200 calories a day - I am a snacked and this might kill me :( I am really hopping it wont though :(

I only eat 1200 a day as well. That is another reason why I am worried.
  • mlemonroe2
    Options
    enjoy yourself and eat what you want. i lost 60 pounds in 7 months and i never denied myself a holiday or birthday meal. those 3-4 pounds are not body fat. its water retention. the next few days, drink twice the amount of water you normaly do and you should see you weight go back to normal in the next few days. it's thanksgiving. it's worth it!
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    Nope, I'm not anywhere near my family and not sure what I'm going to do that day other than work. Really don't have many friends around here, and no car to get to the ones I do have, so might just be work and then eat like any other day...