Dreading Thanksgiving Dinner?

Options

Replies

• mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I plan to eat what I want...in moderation. I am doing Paleo..so there are things I will stay away from...but I plan to enjoy the family time
  • SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I am totally dreading Thanksgiving. I'm with you in that if I eat a large meal the scale says I gained 3-4 pounds and it takes me a long time... almost 5 or so days to get the right number back. We're going to have turkey with no stuffing and Boston Market sides. I'm not going to cook a large meal this year nor over indulge. I'm keeping it simple as possible and hope for the best. My worry is more about drinking. That's where my weakness comes in to play. I want to at least enjoy the day. Ohh damn, I just wish the holidays would go away. I hate Christmas more.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I'm making Thanksgiving dinner, so I have total control of the calorie content. It will probably be one of the healthiest dinners that day. :-)

Anyway, even if you eat more than you "should," none of us got overweight because of one or two meals a year. Eat well the rest of the week, exercise and enjoy one day of just letting go and having yummy food! You don't have to overstuff yourself.
  • kekl
    kekl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I am going to eat everything and regret nothing.

:)
  • beccadaniixox
    beccadaniixox Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    My plan is for my mom to let me cook all the sides! :) Or at least some of them. That why I'll have healthy options (and I can trick people into eating healthier too) :D
  • sburde2
    sburde2 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I'm not worried at all. It's one day! I plan to eat everything I want but just less of it than usual. No seconds for me!
  • Kany
    Kany Posts: 336
    Options
    I am not dreading it at all! I have been looking forward to it since 2 weeks ago. I'm not usually excited for Thanksgiving before, but this year, it's different. Maybe because I have been exercising and eating pretty well that I think one day of indulging wouldn't hurt. I do, however, plan on working out the morning the whole week of Thanksgiving though.
  • bruthacuervo
    bruthacuervo Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    so one day your in the red- just be green the 6 other days that week and i think it will all balance out... no big deal.

even the hardcore fitness buffs here can agree on that...
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I would take a hard look at things if my weight loss made me dread a family holiday rather than look forward to it.
  • snowsflake
    snowsflake Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I'm looking forward to it, in fact I am planning the menu right now. We still have to live people! :) If we feel that we can never splurge, never just relax and enjoy then we will not last long on this journey. Just enjoy responsibly, keep working out, and share your leftovers with neighbors! :)

So true! We squander away so much time worrying about this stuff. EAT and ENJOY it!!! It can be one day or one meal; however, you want to look at it. You have a healthy breakfast and lunch or dinner and then get after it. Get in a workout if it will help you out. It won't derail everything that you have worked so hard towards. Even if you do overeat, who cares, LET IT GO and DO THE NEXT RIGHT THING!!! Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!:happy:
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I love making Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's dinners.

We're having 14 people over. Ham, Turkey, Stuffing, and a ton of sides, desserts, etc. I'll be up at 4am. Cooking. Love the smells. Having the girls over. Their friends. Old friends. New friends.

Yep, calorie count can soar, but I don't care. I'll be sitting in the backyard by 4pm. Thanksgiving pants on. Firepit going. With the men, while the women plan their strategy for Black Friday inside. Cigar in one hand. Bourbon in the other. Happy as hell. Talking about the women and already planning what to do with the leftovers in my mind.
  • Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I'm not dreading it at all. I plan to work out next Sunday-Wednesday and I'll take Thursday off from the gym (since it's closed) and enjoy myself. Then I'll be right back at it the next day. Like someone else said, if you go over on one day, then just make sure you're not going over every other day that week. Drink plenty of water and enjoy yourself!
  • HavenIryxia
    HavenIryxia Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I just dreading the food, not the quality family time that I am going to enjoy. Holidays are my ultimate weakness, I tend to eat everything, and this year I am reining everything in. I just am close to my goal. I don't want to be set back anymore, I have realized the closer I get to being done the harder it is to get it off. That is my deal haha
  • mikajoanow
    mikajoanow Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I am making a huge dinner. So I am just going to hope that I am too tired to eat when the time comes/ :P
  • afwg1979
    afwg1979 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Being a "Biggest Loser" fan, I stumbled upon NBC's "Holiday Primer" which features an excellent slide show for getting through Thanksgiving Day. Now that I am "armed" with information, I am more relaxed about next Thursday. The hardest part will be the exercise: my gym will be closed; however, I am going to improvise, even if it snows. Bottom Line: Be proactive by choosing wisely and acting wisely. Take the upper hand. It's just another day.

I wish you could click on the link shown below to get to the website - you'll have to copy and paste into your search box:

www.nbc.com/the-biggest-loser/photos/holiday-prime

Knowledge is power; Sharing is caring . . .
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    It's one day. Unless you eat more than 7,000 calories that day, you should be fine.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    I'm dreading having to dress up nice and not be able to wear my (as Mike puts it) Thanksgiving pants to dinner this year! (going to my brothers in-laws with the whole family) I'm going to eat myself into a food coma, and pray the button on my pants stays put. :wink:
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    A little concerned because we are going to a friend's house for dinner and they will be
    making the meal. Also we are staying the weekend at a hotel so eating is not always healthy.
    I will enjoy myself and their company and drink lots of water. :bigsmile:
  • kandrews24
    kandrews24 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I totally get where you are coming from. Regardless of the math, I feel the same way = I don't want to spend a week or more working off one meal. That is what happens to me, for whatever reason (glad everyone doesn't have that trouble). And further, it is not easy for me to go off one day or one meal and then get back on track. I fear one meal can lead me off the path. We all know our limits. I know mine.

So, I've given this a lot of thought. It is important to me to stay within my calorie goal on Thanksgiving. I've come too far and to me, Thanksgiving isn't worth a set back. I have the luxury of not hosting. So it is really only one day for me as I won't have left overs sitting around.

I plan to eat a decent but light breakfast, go for a hike, enjoy Thanksgiving dinner at sissy-in-laws by only eating those things I love, in modest portions, then have dessert for dinner. I am making/contributing a fat free split pea and sweet potato soup, so I can fill up on that and keep everything else in check.

I'm also going to mentally focus on what I want out of the day (that is not food related), for example to visiting, resting, hiking, etc.

If I go over a little, I can always go for a walk after dinner or do a DVD when I get home.

Finally, I'll be at the YMCA at a class at 6:30 AM Friday morning, so I hope to get to bed early and that will help reduce late night snacking.

Good luck! You can do this.
  • SummerRhi
    SummerRhi Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I would take a hard look at things if my weight loss made me dread a family holiday rather than look forward to it.

I love it! It is easy to forget that you can let go sometimes (not completely but you know). My other friends call me and my bestie "calorie crazy" because sometimes it can take over everything else you do. How have we managed to transform the holidays from spending time with family to food and material things?