Fast Food Bashing

Options
What's up with the legions of people on these sites that so despise Fast Food like McDonalds? Did you all just figure out that it was bad for you? I knew that when I was at my heaviest. I just didn't care. I also like how they have to try and convince themselves and everyone else that it doesn't taste good. Really? Is that how they became a successful business, with bad tasting food? Sounds like people are in denial to me.

I love the Mc Donalds cheese burger, always have, always will. I know it's bad for me, that's why I don't have them as often as I used to, and I make sure I don't eat a bunch at one sitting. Moderation. But it always cracks me up that the weight loss warriors on here who so decry a cheese burger with 300 calories in it are silent on things like alcohol. If only cheeseburgers gave us a buzz!

Replies

• jfurman1974
    jfurman1974 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Moderation is the key!! I agree with you!
  • xoAmyxo
    xoAmyxo Posts: 110
    Options
    what are you talking about??? cheese burger does give me a "high" cause i never eat it anymore! lol jk but i agree with this
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    agreed :) i eat out once a week (as opposed to the 4 times a week or more before )
    im not a big fan of mcdonalds, but i do love me some carls jr, wendys spicy chicken sammich, and burger king.
  • HerBravado
    HerBravado Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I still love fast food! --even through this weight loss. It's about moderation; & I'm pretty sure there's tons of bad things in them...but...

But it's so tasty! :D I dig pizza joints, the most.
    No amount of bashing via Internet peoplez can change my opinion of that.
  • Laura_Ivy
    Laura_Ivy Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    LOL I like their cheeseburgers too...must be the pickles! ;) It certainly couldn't the fat laden meat patty with cheese. o_O I take full responsibility for my fatness! ( is that a word?) I got fat because of inactivity, poor food choices and being a horrible couch potato.
  • MrsTomkins
    MrsTomkins Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I learned to hate fast food and to literally be disgusted by it by going on to their websites and reading the nutritional info.. now I get the coupons in the mail and I see 5 burgers for 5 dollars and I gag..truth.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Same with Thanksgiving. It is ONE day. ONE. Enjoy it with your family or friends and savor the food. You aren't going to gain 5lbs, maybe a bit of water if you eat a big meal on Thanksgiving.

And I love fast food sometimes. I love Taco Bell when I am drunk and I like MCDonalds Cheeseburgers. I eat them when I want and work it into my calories.
  • CJK1959
    CJK1959 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    What's up with the legions of people on these sites that so despise Fast Food like McDonalds? Did you all just figure out that it was bad for you? I knew that when I was at my heaviest. I just didn't care. I also like how they have to try and convince themselves and everyone else that it doesn't taste good. Really? Is that how they became a successful business, with bad tasting food? Sounds like people are in denial to me.

I love the Mc Donalds cheese burger, always have, always will. I know it's bad for me, that's why I don't have them as often as I used to, and I make sure I don't eat a bunch at one sitting. Moderation. But it always cracks me up that the weight loss warriors on here who so decry a cheese burger with 300 calories in it are silent on things like alcohol. If only cheeseburgers gave us a buzz!

Love this...and it's so true. I love a big juicy Angus Mushroom and Swiss, but I also know how much I have to save throughout a day to enjoy one. That's one of the things I love about this site,, I've learned that I can have what I want, but I have to budget my calories and make decisions based on information, and you know what?? Sometimes I actually opt for the healthier option as a better use of my calories. How 'bout that...diets never worked for me because of that fear of deprivation of something that I liked or wanted. Now....I'm a better food manager.
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    i actually don't like fast food that much and it's not the reason I became overweight.

Not everybody loves fast food. I like some of taco bell yes, but wendy's and mcdonald's..no not so much. Except wendy's chili, it's pretty good.

Arby's has good roast beef.

Am i saying i never ate mcdonald's and wendys? No, there was a point when i thought food tasted good but that was in my teen years and I can't remember the last time I actually ate mcdonalds or a wendy's burger or nuggets or anything besides their chili.

I find it silly that people seems to think everyone is overweight because they eat too much fast food, people get overweight by simply eating too much, whether it's from a restaurant or meals they cook at home.

Again, just because fast food is successful doesn't mean every single person likes it.
  • LalLewis
    Options
    Love your take on that my friend and I agree. Cheeseburger - yummy - but isnt that the idea? Bad nutrition tastes good!! Alcohol - well there you go. That unfortunately is my undoing - I can down a bottle of red with an evenings eating. Since reading up and seeing everyones comments on here - I quit alcohol during the week and will limit to a couple of glasses socially or at a weekend meal. You're right, the glinting glassful can be a silent enemy,
  • diamondcory
    Options
    I could eat McChickens all day, every day
  • Matttdvg
    Matttdvg Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Personally I've always hated McDonalds. The burgers just don't taste that nice. Not for the ludicrous prices they charge, anyway. BUT the burger van on my local high street does delicious burgers, and give me a nice greasy kebab or a large portion of fish and chips any day.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I rarely get to eat out these days so when I do I don't worry about calories, I just get what I want as I spend rest of the year on a diet.. lol!

Hoping to go xmas shopping next week, haven't been there since last year so will enjoy either KFC or fish and chips and a McFlurry! (Its one of those shopping centres with different food counters around it), but up till then and after I'm eating really healthy and hopefully I won't put too much on from one day of indulgence!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Amen!!
  • fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Very well stated. Those who are doing the bashing are filled with their own emotional insecurity feelings of lacking their own self-control to choose the healthy items and maintain good PORTION CONTROL. Usually they're in total denial of being compulsive eaters. I absolutely KNOW I'm a compulsive eater but, since I've been using this program for 366 days now (I don't count 'em...MFP does), it keeps me on track and more focused on making better choices while playing close attention to my own PORTION CONTROL. That's the name of this "game" folks. We are all in total control of our self-developed programs. We are the only one who decides what and how much of anything that goes in our mouths, how much of it and how frequently. I'm a whole lot healthier, more fit, have tons more energy and am a lot happier since I finally accepted my inability to maintain control without a daily food and exercise program. I'm in this for the long haul...the rest of my life. I will always be grateful to Mike and Albert Lee for developing and maintaining this life-saving free program.
  • wildcata77
    Options
    Same with Thanksgiving. It is ONE day. ONE. Enjoy it with your family or friends and savor the food. You aren't going to gain 5lbs, maybe a bit of water if you eat a big meal on Thanksgiving.

And I love fast food sometimes. I love Taco Bell when I am drunk and I like MCDonalds Cheeseburgers. I eat them when I want and work it into my calories.

I think you may be a younger, hotter version of myself.
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    I agree with everything in moderation. I love'd fast food, McDonald's, KFC, Taco Bell, A&W...I could go on. I just can't digest it very well. So I avoid it.

But you can eat basically anything you want, as long as its in moderation.
  • dirtbikegirl5
    dirtbikegirl5 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    You gotta love the people who try to sue the fast food joints for getting them fat.
    Heck, when I want a hamburger from a fast food place, I have it, but I do that very few and far between because I know that it is not the best choice.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I agree with this, but I have to admit that I am not always satiated with fast food. :frown:
  • AmberRSkelton
    AmberRSkelton Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Fast food is bashed because it's bad for you, not because it tastes bad.

When I initially started trying to avoid it, I was just trying to make sure if I consumed that many calories, there was at least some nutrition in there too.

Now that I have to be really diligent about what I eat to avoid gaining weight, I avoid it simply because it tends to be so calorie dense. For me, it is easier at a sit-down restaurant to find something I can enjoy without all the excess. When I indulge, I REALLY indulge, so I make sure it's what I want and it's GOOD. Frankly, most fast food places just aren't what I'm wanting when I'm set to indulge.

I also try to teach and demonstrate healthy eating to my two naturally skinny children, and that is easier to do if I cook more and try to avoid fast food.