Fast Food Bashing

Options

Replies

• Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I probably eat fast food at least once a week.
  • shedoos
    shedoos Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Burger King bacon double cheeseburger and king size fries...

Haven't eaten it in AGES and would probably be sick as a dog if I did... but my memory of it sure does taste delish...
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Same with Thanksgiving. It is ONE day. ONE. Enjoy it with your family or friends and savor the food. You aren't going to gain 5lbs, maybe a bit of water if you eat a big meal on Thanksgiving.

And I love fast food sometimes. I love Taco Bell when I am drunk and I like MCDonalds Cheeseburgers. I eat them when I want and work it into my calories.

I think you may be a younger, hotter version of myself.

I think I need you as a friend.
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm not saying it's the best tasting food on earth, but if I'm in the car and have a buck in my pocket, their Cheeseburger has 300 cals. It's not going to kill me. (THis is making me hungry). I know there is better tasting food out there, but part of the Fast Food equation is the convience. Trust me, if they could figure out a way to make fast food BBQ RiBS that tasted great and could be eaten in the car easily, I would be all over it. Until, it's cheese burgers.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    It's hilarious how the ones bashing fast food are overweight from what..............................eating healthy food? Or eating higher calorie foods that are supposedly healthier than fast food?
    So let's get this straight: Would it be better to be healthy and normal weight and eat fast food on occasion or better to be overweight and eat healthy all the time?

Health is determined more by your weight, activity, and genetics than by what you eat. Just as eating "unhealthy" doesn't mean that you will be unhealthy if you are normal weight, are active, and have good genetics.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    What's up with the legions of people on these sites that so despise Fast Food like McDonalds? Did you all just figure out that it was bad for you? I knew that when I was at my heaviest. I just didn't care. I also like how they have to try and convince themselves and everyone else that it doesn't taste good. Really? Is that how they became a successful business, with bad tasting food? Sounds like people are in denial to me.

I love the Mc Donalds cheese burger, always have, always will. I know it's bad for me, that's why I don't have them as often as I used to, and I make sure I don't eat a bunch at one sitting. Moderation. But it always cracks me up that the weight loss warriors on here who so decry a cheese burger with 300 calories in it are silent on things like alcohol. If only cheeseburgers gave us a buzz!

Exactly!
  • jlnk
    jlnk Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    McDonald's chocolate chip cookies are delicious!
  • jenniferg83
    jenniferg83 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I agree with you. People always look for somewhere else to put the blame. The fact that fast food companies advertise for kids 1/2 the time doesn't help. My kids love happy meals and i feel bad saying no all the time. But then again when i do take them, it's a treat. For Some people it's just a way of life. I know it was when i was younger. I'm thankful we have subway as a fast food! Much better alternative. Also, a lot of fast food joints like mc d's do have healthier options now a days. Get those apples instead of fries....Don't taste as good as the fries but healthier still =) Once in a while, those yummy cheese burgers are ok!!! No more food Nazis!!! Just find balance!!! As with everything. Yay for carrying on lol. i always seem to do that. Great topic.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    What's up with the legions of people on these sites that so despise Fast Food like McDonalds? Did you all just figure out that it was bad for you? I knew that when I was at my heaviest. I just didn't care. I also like how they have to try and convince themselves and everyone else that it doesn't taste good. Really? Is that how they became a successful business, with bad tasting food? Sounds like people are in denial to me.

I love the Mc Donalds cheese burger, always have, always will. I know it's bad for me, that's why I don't have them as often as I used to, and I make sure I don't eat a bunch at one sitting. Moderation. But it always cracks me up that the weight loss warriors on here who so decry a cheese burger with 300 calories in it are silent on things like alcohol. If only cheeseburgers gave us a buzz!

Exactly!

Yeah? But 1 shot of alcohol is good for the heart. I'm good through 2054.
  • Victoriav99
    Victoriav99 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I don't get it either...I don't eat fast food as often...rarely now, but when I do I enjoy it and I don't care.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I agree with this, but I have to admit that I am not always satiated with fast food. :frown:

This is what usually saves me from the occassional McD's cheeseburger craving (definitely my favorite!). At 300 calories, it's going to fit nicely into my daily budget but I know it's not going to be as satisfying as say...a homemade tuna salad sandwich and a banana. Same amount of calories but way more bang for the buck, at least for me.
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options

Exactly!

Yeah? But 1 shot of alcohol is good for the heart. I'm good through 2054.

Ha!
  • MrsHyland
    MrsHyland Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I know there is better tasting food out there, but part of the Fast Food equation is the convience. Trust me, if they could figure out a way to make fast food BBQ RiBS that tasted great and could be eaten in the car easily, I would be all over it. Until, it's cheese burgers.

This is how I feel as well. I had class last night and didn't have time in the morning to make myself something for dinner. I went to McDonald's because it was on the way and I could eat it in the car. Rather than ordering a regular meal, I got a happy meal. Small portion therefor less calories and still filled me up. There will always be fast food because people need easy. It's a part of life. It's just up to us to adjust and modify to fit our lifestyles.

And if you don't like fast food, whatever. I don't think the original post was meant to be antagonistic or rude as some seem to have taken it. He was just making a valid point that in moderation, things are ok. Everyone has their vices, it's dealing with them appropriately that is the challenge.
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Health is determined more by your weight, activity, and genetics than by what you eat. Just as eating "unhealthy" doesn't mean that you will be unhealthy if you are normal weight, are active, and have good genetics.

This is a great statement right here. The body can utilize lots of things put in it.
    I would add that "moderation" is a very healthy thing for the mind and body. A glass of wine once in awhile is good for you. A periodic indulgence is great for the mind, and can be healthy for the body and its processes.

But sometimes people take something they've read and formed conclusions about, turn those into beliefs, and then adhere to those beliefs with a blind, almost religious, credulity. That often happens regarding diet, nutrition, and exercise. Speaking for myself, I've done this at times. No one is immune to this tendency. Happens a lot regarding fast food, sugar, flour, processed foods, alcohol, etc.
  • wanderlust3
    Options
    Speaking as someone who feels a bit queasy at the thought of eating a McDonald's Burger, I think I can explain why people say fast food "doesn't taste good." You're right, of course -- it DOES taste good while you're eating it. But if you habitually eat really healthy food, particularly if you have a sensitive stomach, fast food can do a number on how you feel whether you eat 200 calories of it or 2,000 calories. If you KNOW with absolute certainty that you are going to be sick as a dog as soon as you finish eating it, the stuff becomes pretty unappetizing. Ever gotten the stomach flu just after eating a meal that you really liked, and it just didn't taste right to you for a long time afterward? The same principle's at work here -- it might be all in your head, but you still can't enjoy it. So, no, I don't think people are in denial when they say "fast food doesn't taste good," they're just expressing a complicated aversion in a simplistic and easy to explain way. Either that, or they're speaking in terms of comparisons, the way people say Hershey's chocolate "doesn't taste good" in comparison to Lindt chocolate.

That said, I agree with you that a cheeseburger every now and then certainly won't kill anyone, and a person can become overweight by eating too many calories of healthy food just as easily as they can by eating too much fast food. Moderation is a great way to look at it.
  • Laura_Ivy
    Laura_Ivy Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I went for like 4 years without eating fast food really and it had me running to el bano within 20 minutes of eating it. Tastes so good but made me feel horrible. Now my body has acclimated to eating out again so it's no big deal.
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    If I'm gonna eat a burger, I'd much rather support a local burger joint with MUCH better tasting food. Fast food isn't the devil or anything, but it's cheaply produced food that, in my opinion, pretty much tastes like crap.
  • hollyeverhart
    hollyeverhart Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I have always found fast food nasty. Cheap, bad quality, plus I am vegetarian, even before I was I couldn't stand it. I don't have to 'convince' myself of anything I just plain don't like it. When other people eat it around me the smell repulses me, I like quality food that you make at home out of good ingredients. Not saying everything I eat is healthy because I love sweets/bread sometimes but if I am going to eat a lot of calories its going to be in a good dessert or a pastry from my local farmers market, not a disgusting fatty cheeseburger made from low grade meat made by some person I don't know in a dirty fast food place. If that makes you think I am a snob or something thats fine, but I have never had a weight issue or been considered fat at all...I just want to be thinner because I like the way skinny looks compared to normal size & I like having a way to track the food I eat. I am not trying to offend anyone, I just think a lot of people that are dealing with a major weight problem probably got that way from fast food.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Funny but I find a way to fit it in my cals if my husband happens to want to have that once a week, without getting overweight. It's about portion control people.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    <
    admitted fast food junky, well not any more...but in the past.
    Mcdonalds is good hangover food.