Has anyone heard of the VLCD (diet) ?

Options

Replies

• llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    FYI: It's completely possible to lose eight pounds in five weeks without starving yourself.

I'm sure there is. Except, I'm not starving. 800 calories, eaten right, is quite a bunch.

The question, then, is WHY you want to eat only 800 calories a day when the results are so unimpressive. What's motivating you?
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Discusses how fiber can help a VLCD,does not recommend this for anyone that is not obese though.
    Discusses maintaining lean body mass, but does not say that it's safe or effective for anyone not obese.
    Again, deals with this diet for obese folks.
    Did you read this one?

"Very-low-calorie diets. These diets, which require specialized medical management, typically restrict calories to a maximum of 800 per day and are sometimes recommended for people whose health would benefit from initially rapid weight loss." That means obese folk.

"Interestingly, clinical studies show that after one year, the weight loss associated with LCDs and VLCDs is similar. In other words, people who have followed VLCDs regain more weight, on average, than those who have followed LCDs."
    But I'm ~sure~ you know how to google, so you can find others.
    Yes, I can... and I could not find reputable articles supporting this for anyone that is not severely obese.

So not a good idea for most people. What a shocker.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I lost the first 8 pounds in 5 weeks too - eating around 1600 NET calories a day.
    You are of course, quite welcome to follow any diet you choose, but in my experience it just isn't necessary to drop to such low calories to lose weight. Personally I could not sustain such low intake for any length of time, whereas eating a moderate amount and exercising has yielded great results and I'm still doing it 10 months later, and plan to continue.
  • jill___
    jill___ Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    That's how I lost my first 25lbs.. in a little under 3 weeks. Then I plateaued for months, and gained 10lbs back when I started eating "normally" again. I still stay around 1000 calories a day now, but I'm losing more consistently.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I am quoting myself on another thread, link below on what happens when you do VLCD's (HCG including)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/382578-day-1-of-hcg

I am happy to help,
    I started out with a fat % of 43% my weight was 283, now my fat % is 24% and I weigh 172 and keep in mind I have a very large frame. Does that help?

Thank you very much..

LBM = Weight - (weight x body fat)

Starting = 283 - (283 * .43) = 161
    Current = 172 - (172 *.24) = 131

BMR = 370+(9.79759519*LBM)

Starting BMR = 370+(9.79759519*161) = 1950
    Ending BMR = 370+(9.79759519*131) = 1650

You lost 30 lbs of muscle during your journey. There is zero disputing that. That is a 20% loss of muscle in your journey so far and a 16% reduction in your metabolism. My question is, don't you see that as a problem? I understand maintaining musle mass is difficult when you have a lot to lose and overall, at some point you might lose some but 20% and on top of that, a 16% reduction in metabolism? Something to think about.

Now here is my story, I eat 2600 calories (actually 2800-3000 now) I started at 18% body fat @ 210 lbs, I am at 11% body fat now @ 195.

Starting = 210 - (210 * .18) = 172
    Current = 195 - (195 * .11) = 173

I have lost several inches around my body, I have lost weight but still maintain muscle mass. That is why huge deficits dont' work. That is why HCG is not great for you. Muscle mass is linked to so many items like metabolism, insulin control, organ function, etc...

If this stuff isn't a concern to you, I am amazed, but there is a reason for my madness. Please let the discussion continue.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    VLCD == Very Low Calorie Diet

It's not a fad diet, in fact, it's a Dr recommend diet for those who need to lose a lot of weight. You gotta be careful though, here are the guildlines
    ~ You calorie intake per day is between 500 - 800 calories.
    ~ Doctor stress that there should be "good" calories so you still get nutrition you need
    ~ To ensure you don't go into starvation mode, It's NOT a longterm diet. In fact, it should only be for 12 weeks in the 500-800 cal range. After that, you stup up to 800-1200. (I believe you go back down after those 12 weeks are up, if you didn't lose everything you need.
    ~ It doesn't restrict what "kind" of calories, since a calorie is a calorie, but obviously, if you eat a candy bar, that's 300 calories mostly from fat. You can eat a lot of healthy items to match those 300. So use common sense and choose wisely.
    ~ drink, throughout the day, 3L of water.

That's pretty much it. After I read a bunch about it from reputable sources (NIH, FDA, ivy league schools, etc), I asked my doctor about it, who completely agreed with me.

In about 5 weeks, I've lost about 8 pounds.

Anyone else doing this diet?

(p.s. ---> If you have any bit of punk rock in you, join our group "Punk Rockers Scare You)

Thanks for posting that. And thanks for posting the links to medical studies.

Some people will simply refuse to change their opinions about eating less than 1200 calories but, for those folks who are interested in reading about "another way to lose weight", you've done a great service!

I used a low calorie diet (800 to 1000 net cals per day) to lose 95 pounds in 7 months (not a VLCD)

My weight loss is here. I weigh daily and update…almost daily.

http://cbeinfo.net/weight.htm

My diary is public so feel free to browse. When I've looked back at what I ate, it leaves me a little wide-eyed 'cause I darn sure wasn't eating much!

If folks are interested in my results, send me a PM. I won't go into my results here but they were nothing short of superb.

Again, to the OP, thank you so much for posting your message and for following it up with links to credible medical sources.

I had a great experience on a low calorie diet. If you're reading this thread and open minded enough to try it, I'd urge you to do so. I mean, what have you got to lose? ;-)
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I had a great experience on a low calorie diet. If you're reading this thread and open minded enough to try it, I'd urge you to do so. I mean, what have you got to lose? ;-)
    Muscle.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Muscle.

Life.
  • katcena
    katcena Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    While I can appreciate that a VLCD may be an option for some people (very obese people) under the strict guidance of the proper professionals I always refer back to the great think someone said when I joined MFP almost a year ago. "What makes you think you can lose in 3 months what took you an entire lifetime to put on?"

It took me 3 years to gain my almost 60 extra pounds....so, even with eating anywhere from 1500-2800 calories a day (depending on how much exercise I do, because I eat back my exercise calories) I have lost over 40 pounds so far....plus lost more inches than I can keep track of, and have muscles! I don't want to be skinny...I want to be healthy! I want to be in good shape!

Even though the weight comes off more slowly now because I have less to lose...I am not at all tempted to try some fad diet. Because I feel amazing! I have energy, I have hardly been sick this entire year, I am accomplishing things! And I would never want this to end! I'm hooked for life! :)
  • W406923
    Options
    The VLCD is used in combination with the hormone HCG. I used HCG and went from 197lbs to 164lbs in 42 days. I was under my nutritionists care, who is also an MD and I had weekly weigh-ins and measurements. I only ate 500 calories a day...but the foods you are allowed to eat are very limited and very specific (google Dr Simeon's protocol). I feel great when dieting and actually find the the diet easy to follow. What happens is the HCG, when in the absence of food, lyses your "abnormal" fat cells and feeds your body with your own fat. It is an amazing diet and it works if you record and weigh all your food and take your HCG. I am now on round 2 of the VLCD and hope to get down to 148lbs. I have lived an extremely healthy lifestyle for the past 2 years, which has included healthy food choices and tons of exercise, and I just was not losing. I am a smart person and work as a nurse, I know this diet is extreme but it has worked for me and I am a huge fan:)
  • ATT949
    Options
    I am quoting myself on another thread, link below on what happens when you do VLCD's (HCG including)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/382578-day-1-of-hcg

I am happy to help,
    I started out with a fat % of 43% my weight was 283, now my fat % is 24% and I weigh 172 and keep in mind I have a very large frame. Does that help?

Thank you very much..

LBM = Weight - (weight x body fat)

Starting = 283 - (283 * .43) = 161
    Current = 172 - (172 *.24) = 131

Starting BMR = 370+(9.79759519*161) = 1950
    Ending BMR = 370+(9.79759519*131) = 1650

You lost 30 lbs of muscle during your journey. There is zero disputing that. That is a 20% loss of muscle in your journey so far and a 16% reduction in your metabolism. My question is, don't you see that as a problem? I understand maintaining musle mass is difficult when you have a lot to lose and overall, at some point you might lose some but 20% and on top of that, a 16% reduction in metabolism? Something
    I believe that some of your underlying assumptions are incorrect.

The difference in weight (161-131) cannot be construed to represent loss of 30 pounds of muscle. What we know is that the poster lost 30 pounds of body mass other than fat. That includes muscle tissue, connective tissue, skin, etc. as well as, possibly, water weight. Unless you have other information regarding that person's body comp, your assertion is incorrect.

Second, based on your knowledge of weight loss, what is considered a normal loss in lean body mass for that person's body mass? It is completely normal to lose lean body mass when you lose weight.

On what basis do you state that the person's metabolism has dropped by 16%. Again, if you think that their metabolism is "slowing down" because their BMR has dropped, you're incorrect. BRM is a measure of the calories needed per day and varies, among other things, with the size of the animal. You cannot correctly infer that a person's metabolism has slowed down because their BMR has changed — there's simply no connection.
  • ATT949
    Options
    "What makes you think you can lose in 3 months what took you an entire lifetime to put on?"
    My response to a question like that would be "Why should I think I can't?"

I know a lot about a lot of things (I'm old, very smart, have had a good education, and have worked with a huge number of people in many industries in many locations across North America) and one of the most important things that I've learned is that there are a lot of things I don't know.

So, yes, being ignorant about weight loss, I investigated weight loss back in November and December of 2010. I found out that low calorie diets were safe so I made a plan to lose weight.

I executed the plan and it worked very well.

It didn't take me "a lifetime" to put on the 100 pounds that I no longer carry 'round. I went from 220 to 250 between 2002 and 2005 and then from 250 to 295 between 2006 and 2008. So, all told, it took me about 6 years to gain 75 pounds — and I lost that much in 5 months.

Yes, it can be done and lots and lots of people lose weight that fast. My GF runs a weight loss clinic here in SoCal where people who follow their program routinely lose 10% of their body mass in 10 weeks. I figured if a 40+ year old company is using that approach, that's safe enough for me.
  • ATT949
    Options
    What's so innocent about trying to tell people that this diet is a valid way of losing weight? Esepcailly when you don't even remotely qualify to be on this diet?
    Oy…

Let me pose this question - why shouldn't the poster tell people about this diet?

Your implication is that only certain people should talk about certain ways of losing weight?

OK, since I'm not losing weight any more, I shouldn't talk about how I lost weight? ("Well, Doug, we do wish you'd put a cork in it sometimes!" :-) )

I just can't agree with your position.
  • TLCEsq
    TLCEsq Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    You do realize this was just an innocent post, right? I'm all for people disagreeing with me, but why bury me with the stones you threw? You could have just said "You've been duped! the vvlcd is a piece of ****!". That would have done it.

For what it's worth, the issue here is twofold in my opinion:

1) There's far too many people who are ALREADY looking for shortcuts at nearly any cost. You're dealing with plenty of people who already don't have a "good" relationship with food, many of whom have already tried the "_____________ diet" (fill in the blank) and failed. Suggesting yet another shortcut, specifically one that doesn't include exercise, isn't exactly promoting healthy habits.

2) If you ARE going to do a VLCD, you certainly should follow a specifically outlined protocol (Lyle has a well outlined PSMF protocol for example) rather than what you listed.

Lastly, I understand you're just spreading information, but if you WERE to follow a PSMF, you REALLY REALLY should be spot on with your food choices AND macronutrient targets. The less you consume for calories, the less room for error you have when it comes to micronutrients.

This is the type of diet that experienced bodybuilders might use for a very short period of time, and while it doesn't mean that it's limited to this population, I do think it requires a solid amount of research and a tremendous willpower to do successfully.

Word.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I believe that some of your underlying assumptions are incorrect.

The difference in weight (161-131) cannot be construed to represent loss of 30 pounds of muscle. What we know is that the poster lost 30 pounds of body mass other than fat. That includes muscle tissue, connective tissue, skin, etc. as well as, possibly, water weight. Unless you have other information regarding that person's body comp, your assertion is incorrect.

Second, based on your knowledge of weight loss, what is considered a normal loss in lean body mass for that person's body mass? It is completely normal to lose lean body mass when you lose weight.

On what basis do you state that the person's metabolism has dropped by 16%. Again, if you think that their metabolism is "slowing down" because their BMR has dropped, you're incorrect. BRM is a measure of the calories needed per day and varies, among other things, with the size of the animal. You cannot correctly infer that a person's metabolism has slowed down because their BMR has changed — there's simply no connection.

Last I checked, BMR is also known as your metabolism as cited below. I have done what I would consider a fair amount of research into this topic. I am also very well educated. The sudject in the post about lost 100 lbs, 30% or 30 lbs of that being muscle. In my journey, I lost not muscle mass but lost 15 lbs and 7% body fat. I know that isn't common but i would not infer that 30% muscle loss is common or healthy by any means. I would think the number would be closer to 10% from what I have seen. I also understand that there are other factors that determine your metabolic rate including age/sex/genetics, etc.. including medicine.

The person I referenced did HCG over 6 months and lost that weight. Do you think it's truely possible to lose a large amount of connective tissues, skin, etc.. in that short period of time? If we were talking years, I could maybe buy that but not months. Also, water weight will always be an issue but I would doubt you would see huge differences in body fat % (maybe +/ - 1%) At least that is what I have seen in myself and other friends of mine.

Also, again, if your BMR is reducing, the means your metabolism is slowing down. It's not uncommon that a person has to evaluate your caloric needs as they lose weight. It's the reason why MFP will ask you to revaluated your inputs as you go. It's also the reason you continous need to monitor your caloric intake as you progress throughout your workouts. So yes, a 30 lb muscle loss does equate to a slower metabobism. If you say it doesnt, I would love to see the proof because that is the complete opposite of the evidence I have seen.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/metabolism/WT00006
  • Ebbykins
    Ebbykins Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Why not just do the ABC diet? Same shyte different pile.
  • suzesymon
    suzesymon Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Most morbidly obese people having lap band surgery go on a VLCD diet for 4-6 weeks to reduce the amount of fat around the liver.

It's a diet that was initially developed to prepare very overweight people for major surgery (joint replacements, heart surgery etc) and the risks of the diet were outweighed by the risks of surgery at their current weight. Typically, these kinds of major surgeries involve a degree of assisted, supervised lifestyle change for the participant, including counselling, exercise programs and dietary support afterwards.

My research suggests exactly the same as the majority opinion, that it's not a great idea for sustained and maintainable weight loss.

I've lost 11lbs in 4 weeks with MFP, and I know which option is more sustainable and adaptable to normal life and fun. I'll stick with MFP.
  • jaabee11
    jaabee11 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I can't believe this is still going

@suzeysmum... well said and totaly makes sense.
  • ATT949
    Options
    Muscle
    :-)
    Is there any difference in folks who use VLCD's vs LCD's in the area of loss of muscle mass, ceteris paribus?

I don't have any knowledge of such and, in my case, I lost something like 70 pounds of mass and only 7 pounds of lean body mass. I do not know to what extent I lost muscle mass.
  • Ebbykins
    Ebbykins Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Muscle
    :-)
    Is there any difference in folks who use VLCD's vs LCD's in the area of loss of muscle mass, ceteris paribus?

I don't have any knowledge of such and, in my case, I lost something like 70 pounds of mass and only 7 pounds of lean body mass. I do not know to what extent I lost muscle mass.

Quit condoning this like it's something that people should do because it worked for you! You had 90+lbs to lose didn't you? The OP doesn't appear to have that much to lose and A LOT of young impressional girls on here who are already healthy weights do not either, they don't need this idea put into their minds anymore than they already have that a crash diet is anywhere close to healthy for them or will give them their desired results. Thank you Suzeysmum.