Do You Know Anyone Who Has Cancer?

Options

Replies

• future_rockstar
    future_rockstar Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    My mother first contracted breast cancer when I was eight years old. She battled it, beat it. She was told she was 10 years cancer-free... but there was a blip on her mammogram she was never told about.

Three years later, the cancer had spread to her liver, lungs, and eventually her brain.

She passed away November 21, 2005... On December 8, 2005, her first grandchild was born, my nephew, Rowan.

Monday makes 6 years, and I miss her every day. I'm not sure how well my diet is going to go that day... but I really don't care. It's mom's anniversary... I have other things to think about.

I'm so sorry to hear that your Mom's anniversary is coming up, and I relate to you having other things to think about on that day than how well you eat. I lost my Mom to ovarian cancer 21 years ago, about six weeks before her first grandchild turned one. Like you, I miss my Mom every day...the world is just a bit less bright without her in it.
  • JessicaBR0
    JessicaBR0 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    A co-worker of mine just passed away almost two months ago from liver and lung cancer. He found out he had it in late July and passed away in September. It was a total shock how fast he went. His passing inspired me to get healthy.
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    My father had level 3 cancer (tumor) in his brain. Seizures took the use of his left side and ability to function as a normal person would. He was told he had 6 months to live. Lived 16 years, after much prayer it went into (I forgot what they call it....) remission?

It did, however, come back. And took him within a year or so after it did.

Army Green Beret, 82 Airbourne, Had done work as an Officer (cop) and also as an Army Medic (1st class) paratrooper. Later an accountant husband and fab father. (I'm a daddy girl)

In his younger years he resembled Brad Pitt. Older a more attractive Patrick Swayze. Until the cancer got bad of coarse. My how it can age ppl.

Also a few others, 2 Aunts who suffered Breast cancer. Alive and well.
  • DanTTX
    DanTTX Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    : ' (
  • mamad73
    Options
    I have been breast cancer free for almost 6 years!!! I was diagnosed in 2007 at 33y/o with invasive ductal carcinoma. I had 6 surgeries (including mastectomies, breast reconstruction & ovaries removed), 8 rounds of chemo, 1 year of Herceptin, & 5 years of Arimidex. Some days are rough & some are a little easier. Trying to keep myself healthy!!!!
  • mgs_philly85
    mgs_philly85 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My mother had breast cancer, she was diagnosed at 37 right after having me. She is now a 27 year survivor. She is alive and well. After they said she wouldn't live this long. I have since became a RN like her and I work at a cancer clinic as a chemo and hall nurse.
  • afoz1990
    afoz1990 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    My dad had advanced Prostate cancer at the age of 41, he wasn't supposed to even have a prostate exam but the doctor decided to do a full body test anyway because my dad hadn't been to the doctor in years. And my family is so glad he did, no one knows how long it was there. He went through a 7 hour robotic prostatectomy and then several weeks of radiation after that. As of September 17th of this year he is 4 years free of cancer! He made it to my high school graduation, my first move into my apartment on my own, and has so much more to go! Every year I run a 5k for Prostate Cancer research and do Relay for Life... SO important to get routine checks for ALL cancers!! Especially if it runs in your family!!

To those fighting or have fought you are all my heroes and you are all so brave and strong!! Don't let anyone tell you otherwise!!
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    both my parents, my mother diagnosed in Spring/2011 with advanced Lung Cancer. She was initially put on palliative care but we wanted Chemo Therapy so we took her off it. She got aggressive treatment and we took her back home (the hospital made her sicker - seriously! - and it was a challenge to get her home). She is now much better, and they initially thought she would live for only 3-4 months after the diagnosis). My father has prostate cancer, he is 92, so it is not so surprising.
  • Tat2dDom0105
    Options
    My mother was diagnosed with breast cancer back in 2006. She wound up having a double mastectomy, and has been Cancer-free since then, but my grandmother (her mom) had Ovarian Cancer back in 2007, but succumbed to it on January 30th 2008. Her death really hit me hard, since i was really close to her, and i looked out for her after my grandfather passed in 2001.
  • sexymccay
    Options
    My sister just called me and said they think she has cervical cancer...
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    WOW! My first thought was "who doesn't know someone..."

Too many suffer, or worse, from the various forms.

IMO, the casue is in our water or food supply, or perhaps the packaging.

What are we going to do about it? That would be a cause worth "occupying" something for.

This!

Cancer isn't genetic. 100 years ago, it was rare. Now everyone is getting it.
    I think we need to overhaul the food industry.
  • x_JT_x
    x_JT_x Posts: 364
    Options
    WOW! My first thought was "who doesn't know someone..."

Too many suffer, or worse, from the various forms.

IMO, the casue is in our water or food supply, or perhaps the packaging.

What are we going to do about it? That would be a cause worth "occupying" something for.

This!

Cancer isn't genetic. 100 years ago, it was rare. Now everyone is getting it.
    I think we need to overhaul the food industry.

I don't know that cancer was necessarily rarer 100 yrs ago. I wonder if maybe they've just gotten better at discovering/diagnosing it with the medical advances that have been made. Another reason it may seem more prevalent is that people of that era often didn't talk about such things. And with the advent of cell phones and the internet/social media, news/information and communication are much more easily obtainable than they were 100 years ago.
  • juliepoe208
    juliepoe208 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Wow! I am glad to hear your mom is doing well. My mom had uterine cancer. She has been cancer free for 15 years now. I had pre Uterine cancer cells earlier this year and had a hysterectomy and oopherectomy because of it. My sister in law has been battling breast cancer for the last year and a half (triple negative type) and she is not doing real well now. She is strong and fights every day, but she is starting to struggle to breathe. It has got into her brain, lungs, liver, all over. My grandmother died of stomach cancer when my dad was 8. My aunt died of a brain tumor in 1992. My other aunt died of a brain tumor 6 years ago. I am tired of everyone getting cancer and really am ready for cancer to be cured and fought harder.

I pray for you all and your families as well. Cancer seems to really hit home to everyone now a days and it stinks. It is nice to see everyone being very supportive of each other and it helps to think as positive as we can to be there for our loved ones. Prayers to all.
  • Cese27
    Cese27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I did,he was a bison of a man,a true leader of men,a son to a fantastic man,a husband to the most beautiful woman the world has known and if his son ever has a child he would be delighted to be a fraction of the man he was
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I had liver tumors removed along with 2/3 of my liver this year. Luckily found out they weren't cancerous they were caused by my contraceptives. I was on a cancer ward and met some very courageous people. It kept me fighting but has left its mark on me as one of the women passed away, a few minutes after I'd just been chatting to her. It was a blessing though, she really suffered. Although on the day of her death she was better than she had been in ages. Hear that happens a lot.

I'm so glad I dodged the bullet. I still have 1 tumor remaining and have a scan Monday and results Friday. The tumors strangle the liver. I'm hoping it's stopped growing since I've stopped contraceptives... Feel I couldn't get through another resection. Can't imagine how people go through that plus chemo..

MIL had skin cancer on her face, they removed it... Did an amazing job! You'd never ever know. There are some amazing surgeons out there!

Zara x
  • ryansgram
    ryansgram Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    My mother and sister both died of cancer.
  • cmacphee3
    cmacphee3 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    My mom has Stage IV Inflammatory Breast Cancer, she beat the odds and is now 7 months past how long they thought she would live, but the cancer is growing again.
  • cheerforsteelers
    cheerforsteelers Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    My stepdad battled prostate cancer for 9 years. He passed away in 2008.
  • makkman
    makkman Posts: 212
    Options
    My wife 2xis breast cancer survivor (knocks on wood) been 6yrs now:))
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    If you know anyone who has cancer or even died from cancer, share it in this thread.

I'll start: my mother used to be a cancer patient. Over 5 years ago, during a routine ovary operation, the doctor discovered that she had ovarian cancer stage 3. Her doctor gave her only 3 months to live. But she beat the odds. Now she still alive and healthy.

I've lost 3 friends all my age to cancer in the last 7 years, and one 8 year old son of a close friend. It's a cruel disease. I know only one survivor who is nearly bedridden now just due to physically limitations that seemed to be caused by the chemotherapy. I know there are more survivors though.