I'm losing muscle!!!!

Options
13»

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    The other thing is to look at your own body. Don't rely on a standardized calculation to tell you what you can see on your body.
    BMI calculations are not always right. There are a lot of variables.

BMI is always right, as long as you use the correct weight and height. I think you mean BMR is not always correct. This is true as there are many factors such as amount of muscle vs. the "average" that may make your BMR lower or higher than MFP calculates.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff, I read your profile...a lot of it could have been written by me.

Ok, so the excessive cardio is the culprit. So after Dec. 4th I'm going to hit the weights and cut back on my cardio. I want to keep my aerobic fitness though. So how much cardio do you folks think I can do without losing muscle? Should I take the winter months and have a zero deficit and work on gaining muscle or should I keep the 250 deficit and just cut back on the cardio and increase the weight training?

BTW, I really appreciate everyone's input. Thanks so much.

When you are done your training and race you may want to look into HIIT as a cardio substitute. Very high intensity with medium intensity intervals, done over 15-20 minutes (not including warm-up and cool-down).
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    what exactly falls under "extensive endurance training"? i ask because i am a budding triathlete, and would like to compete in sprint length tri's (0.47 mi swim, 12.4 mi bike, 3.1  mi run), but would also like to build muscle.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    I would look at your protein intake first (in grams), and I would probably also look at your training methods. I would also look at your deficit compared to your current weight. (<---- scratch that last one, reading comprehension failed me there).

If you can share the above info, you may get more specific answers.

This
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Op can still do long runs and weight lift. While it might not build muscle, it might reduce muscle loss. The OP probably had decen legs because of the running but is losing a heap of muscle mass above the waist. Lifting would help get that back IMHO
  • jtintx
    jtintx Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    what exactly falls under "extensive endurance training"? i ask because i am a budding triathlete, and would like to compete in sprint length tri's (0.47 mi swim, 12.4 mi bike, 3.1  mi run), but would also like to build muscle.
    Sprint triathlon would not typically fall under extensive endurance training. Running for over 1 1/2 hrs up to 3 1/2 hrs. at a time would be extensive endurance training. No need for distances like that for a 5K run in a Sprint Tri. Good luck - triathlon is a lot of fun!!
  • jtintx
    Options
    Op can still do long runs and weight lift. While it might not build muscle, it might reduce muscle loss. The OP probably had decen legs because of the running but is losing a heap of muscle mass above the waist. Lifting would help get that back IMHO
    Actually when I started out at 180 lbs. I didn't have decent anything. LOL. I also tend to store most of my weight in my upper legs/butt. My upper body is thin and I've lost most of my tush but still have quite a bit of fat hanging on for dear life on my thighs. I have strong thigh muscles but they are still covered in fat. :( I just want to get rid of that fat and get down to 20% BF which I feel is healthy for an athlete...even if I am just an age-grouper. The little bit of lifting I have been doing isn't reducing my muscle loss - at least it doesn't seem so.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    Ok, I guess I'll have to accept the muscle loss but with all the cardio why am I not seeing a greater reduction in BF% On June 1st I was at 29.3% body fat. And now, almost 6 months later I'm only down to 26.6%
    Because your resting metabolic rate is lower. Your RMR is what burns the most fat off the body. More lean muscle means a higher RMR and vice versa. Long endurance training only burns calories during exercise and doesn't increase RMR.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    ninerbuff, I read your profile...a lot of it could have been written by me.

Ok, so the excessive cardio is the culprit. So after Dec. 4th I'm going to hit the weights and cut back on my cardio. I want to keep my aerobic fitness though. So how much cardio do you folks think I can do without losing muscle? Should I take the winter months and have a zero deficit and work on gaining muscle or should I keep the 250 deficit and just cut back on the cardio and increase the weight training?

BTW, I really appreciate everyone's input. Thanks so much.
    60 minutes is fine. However to gain lean muscle you will have to be in calorie surplus. Which means you'll be gaining weight to gain muscle.
    What's important here is that you need to find your balance in what you want to do. If you want to run a marathon, then understand that holding on to lean muscle will be difficult. If you want to lose bodyfat, then you're going to nix the marathon to get better results. Or you could do the marathon, then later switch to a muscle building program. It's up to you.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    This exactly why I am concerned...I don't want my metabolism to slow down. I do believe I'm lifting heavy. For example: inclined bench press I am adding 50 lbs. to the machine. DB curls: 17.5 lbs., etc.
    But for 10 reps. Lower the reps to 6 and you can lift more.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options

BMI is always right, as long as you use the correct weight and height. I think you mean BMR is not always correct. This is true as there are many factors such as amount of muscle vs. the "average" that may make your BMR lower or higher than MFP calculates.
    BMI isn't always right. I'm considered overweight by BMI standards. And by alot.

IDEA Fitness member
  • jtintx
    Options
    Because your resting metabolic rate is lower. Your RMR is what burns the most fat off the body. More lean muscle means a higher RMR and vice versa. Long endurance training only burns calories during exercise and doesn't increase RMR.
    Ok, that makes sense. So what do you recommend after my marathon? How much cardio and how much weight training? Calorie deficit, no deficit or surplus - and what amount? And for how long? Will have to start training for triathlon in late winter. Thanks.
  • jtintx
    Options
    I thought 8-12 reps for hypertrophy, less than 8 for strength. ????
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I thought 8-12 reps for hypertrophy, less than 8 for strength. ????
    8-12 for hypertrophy, but I'm assuming you're not trying to gain weight while trying to run a marathon. So 6 reps to keep what lean muscle you still have.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Ok, that makes sense. So what do you recommend after my marathon? How much cardio and how much weight training? Calorie deficit, no deficit or surplus - and what amount? And for how long? Will have to start training for triathlon in late winter. Thanks.
    30-60 of cardio (after lifting), calorie surplus to add lean muscle. For every pound of muscle, you'll add about .3lbs or more of fat. Expect it. Then once you reach the number you feel comfortable with, you cut to reduce fat. Train each body part at least once per week (I only do each body part once a week) but train hard and intense. Make sure you stay in positive nitrogen balance.

IDEA Fitness member
  • jtintx
    Options
    Make sure you stay in positive nitrogen balance.
    This is a new one on me....what is this? Also, I think the cutting phase is what I'm doing wrong. When it gets to that point how should I do it? I know I have to have a calorie deficit but what is the best way to cut and lose the minimum amount of muscle?
  • jtintx
    Options
    I looked up nitrogen balance online...basically make sure you get enough protein. Check. As far as the cutting goes I think a little less cardio and a little more strenght training should do the trick with a small calorie deficit.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    This is a new one on me....what is this? Also, I think the cutting phase is what I'm doing wrong. When it gets to that point how should I do it? I know I have to have a calorie deficit but what is the best way to cut and lose the minimum amount of muscle?
    Positive nitrogen balance deters muscle catabolism. Keeping your protein high is what does this. I feel the best way to "cut" is carb cycling (3 days low carb, one day high) staying within calorie deficit. Keep lifting heavy.

IDEA Fitness member