weight gain and birth control

Options
I have a friend who was on Ortho Tricyclin Low to regulate her cycle and she says she lost weight. How common is it to lose weight or gain on birth control pills? Wondering if other people have experienced similar issues.

Replies

• shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    I personally gained weight. Everyone's body is different; unfortunately there's really no way to predict how your body will react.
  • PeaceLuvVeggies
    PeaceLuvVeggies Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I hope and pray I don't gain weight when I get my birth control pills. Yikes.
  • GB333
    GB333 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I would say most people have problems gaining weight. I've personally ever heard of anyone losing it.

But if you track your food and calories, you should have nothing to worry about.
  • inspiration345
    inspiration345 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I gained weight and off pills for a month now. Losing weight as I should due to diet and exercise but now I am getting pimples on my face :(. On the birth control I couldn't lose even with diet and exercise and I was always bloated. My stomach is totally flat after a month now. I can't even imagine that I had a 5 months pregnant looking belly a month ago and for 1.5 years.
  • brunzella92
    brunzella92 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hi, i was on Ortho Lo and nothing changed, i've been on other's that i've gained but that one is great for staying the same :)
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    My weight only changed when I was on the Shot... I gained 30lbs in 3 months because it makes your body believe it's pregnant (in a hormonal way) and causes wacked out cravings for entire bags of cheetos and loads of ice cream...

Everyone is different though, I'm losing weight while taking Levora, a low dose birth control pill. But I'm only losing the weight because I'm eating less and working out more. :-) The only way you can tell is if you take the pill and have a "reaction" to it involving weight. If it's bothersome or troublesome, talk to your Doc to get a different kind.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I've been on birth control since 1994.

No weight issues due to it.

Since 2002 I've been VERY happy with Neuvaring. It's expensive but worth every $$. NO side effects because it's low dose hormones right to the source.
  • Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Many women gain on the full estrogen pills while they either don't gain or maybe lose on the low estrogen ones because of the hormone regulation. I was using an IUD for 4 years and up until the last 6 months of it I didn't gain. I think the weight I gained was a lifestyle issue. I just came off Seasonique, which was a full hormone pill, and I lost weight on it but again I think it was a lifestyle thing since I made huge changes to my eating and exercise routines while on it. But I started suffer side effects from so much estrogen so now I'm off birth control for a while to give my body a break.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    I hope and pray I don't gain weight when I get my birth control pills. Yikes.

Birth control pills are so 1970s-1980s. I will never go back on the bill. Neuvaring all the way, baby. We're not having our own kids (adopting) so I needed something better than the pill (no same time every day situation to worry about, no weight issues)
  • Onesnap
    Options
    I gained weight and off pills for a month now. Losing weight as I should due to diet and exercise but now I am getting pimples on my face :(. On the birth control I couldn't lose even with diet and exercise and I was always bloated. My stomach is totally flat after a month now. I can't even imagine that I had a 5 months pregnant looking belly a month ago and for 1.5 years.

There's lower hormone solutions out there. See above.
  • smltwngrl
    Options
    I gained weight when I was on the pill (about 10 to fifteen lbs) when I started using the Depo shot I gained close to 20 :/ and even with diet and exercise, it is just harder to drop it. I know it IS possible, and you just have to be more careful, but I know that a lot of women do gain weight due to birth control.
  • JenOman
    JenOman Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have been on BC since 1998 and no change (besides me becoming a couch potato and eating like I was still working out constantly). There have been studies about how that is a myth (in most cases). I have had no problem losing weight while on the pill
  • wreath7
    wreath7 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    thanks very much for the responses
  • GB333
    Options
    My weight only changed when I was on the Shot... I gained 30lbs in 3 months because it makes your body believe it's pregnant (in a hormonal way) and causes wacked out cravings for entire bags of cheetos and loads of ice cream...

I was on the shot for 10 years and had no unexplained cravings or weight gain. Everyone is different.

Plus, like you said, it caused cravings.... but it did not cause weight gain. Giving in to those cravings and eating more caused the weight gain. Track what you eat and your calories and you will be fine.

I went off the shot a few months ago and switched to Loestren Fe and again have had no side effects. I've lost 22 pounds on the shot and now the pill no problem.
  • Shayyy01
    Shayyy01 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I've been on almost every BC out there.

Depo- i gained 30+ lbs and caused migraines
    Neuvring loved it! Didnt gain to much but if you have history of headaches it can cause a stroke..
    Now i'm on old fashion non hormonal pills.. it sucks taking them every day but i've lost weight instead of retaining weight normal period, that actually should decrease over time and no headaches =)

I think it depends on the person. I had a friend on depo that lost weight but it made her sick.
  • hellotina
    hellotina Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    i work for a doctor's office & more thank likely you will gain weight vs lose weight on birth control pills if anything.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    I've been on almost every BC out there.

Depo- i gained 30+ lbs and caused migraines
    Neuvring loved it! Didnt gain to much but if you have history of headaches it can cause a stroke..
    Now i'm on old fashion non hormonal pills.. it sucks taking them every day but i've lost weight instead of retaining weight normal period, that actually should decrease over time and no headaches =)

I think it depends on the person. I had a friend on depo that lost weight but it made her sick.

If you smoke on Neuvaring you can get bloodclots and stroke (if you're over 35). I don't think the headache thing is true...it's such a low dose of hormones compared to the pill.
  • GB333
    Options
    Now i'm on old fashion non hormonal pills..

Just curious - what kind of pill are you on that isn't hormones?
  • eddyca
    eddyca Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I've been on Safyral for a month and lost weight, but I've been trying to do so. I was on Lo-Estrin 24 Fe for 2 months before that which caused me to gain weight rapidly along with high blood pressure. I started dieting while on Lo-Estrin and still lost weight but it was at a slower pace in comparasion to Safyral. Every BCP is different, and every women reacts differently to the various hormones so that's a hard question to answer definitively!
  • Amanda0325
    Amanda0325 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    nuvaring all the way.. love it.. easy.. didn't gain a lot on it.. and i don't even care if its expesnive cause i can't forget to take it and im protected all the time.