Pizza as a vegetable

Options
13»

Replies

• bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    gah! how could you present a biased news source like msnbc! I'm so glad fox news had an article. They are so well known for being "fair and balanced". muhahahah

Anyway, on to less silly things: tomato sauce is not a vegetable. just like friggen ketchup isn't one. I'm surprised they feel like that is the best way to cut back.
    This is from wikipedia
    Lycopene is not an essential nutrient for humans, but is commonly found in the diet, mainly from dishes prepared from tomatoes. When absorbed from the stomach, lycopene is transported in the blood by various lipoproteins and accumulates in the liver, adrenal glands, and testes.

Because preliminary research has shown an inverse correlation between consumption of tomatoes and cancer risk, lycopene has been considered a potential agent for prevention of some types of cancers, particularly prostate cancer. However, this area of research and the relationship with prostate cancer have been deemed insufficient of evidence for health claim approval by the US Food and Drug Administration (see below under Antioxidant properties and potential health benefits).

I'm confused how this has ANYTHING to do with my post.
  • patilee
    patilee Posts: 125
    Options
    OK, while I agree that pizza itself should not be classified as a vegetable, pizza is not necessarily unhealthy. It depends on what you put on it. If you load up a thin crust (or a whole-wheat crust for those who refuse to eat white flour) with tomato sauce, lean meats, veggies, and lowfat cheese, it's not unhealthy and actually a fairly balanced meal. I'm not at all saying that the pizza they serve in schools is healthy; it's usually pretty greasy. But to just flat-out say that pizza is unhealthy is a gross over-generalization. We seem to go from one extreme to the other around here.

I personally have no problem with my kids having pizza at school. That's about the only way my daughter will even touch tomato sauce (give her the same sauce on spaghetti and she finds it gross...go figure). The pizza at her school is not really greasy, so I don't sweat it. She eats pretty healthy most of the time, so pizza at school sometimes is not going to kill her. Heck, we even go OUT for pizza sometimes (let the flaming begin!).

I agree. Pizza is not a "Bad" food.
    I don't think fast food is necessarily "bad".
    If you eat a balanced diet there is room for almost anything - in moderation.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are fine as long as you don't deep fry them in cheap oil, douse them with salt and serve them to school kids.
  • fit4mom
    fit4mom Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    I put low fat cream cheese on my potatoes.

I completely agree with this posting.
    The problem is the school lunches will do a 180 degrees on what they would teach in nutrition class. If you're going to educate our children about the proper way to eat, reinforce their teachings with a dose of reality. Don't tell them to eat veggies if you're gonna serve them french fries and fatty foods.

Now that said, you should give them an option. This is not a dictatorship and we are all free to choose what we want to eat.
    I'm gladd you agree, it's delishiouse!:love:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    The problem is the school lunches will do a 180 degrees on what they would teach in nutrition class. If you're going to educate our children about the proper way to eat, reinforce their teachings with a dose of reality. Don't tell them to eat veggies if you're gonna serve them french fries and fatty foods.

Now that said, you should give them an option. This is not a dictatorship and we are all free to choose what we want to eat.

When it comes to kids it should be a dictatorship, or very similar to one. Children should not be free to eat what they want. They are children. Maybe we should let them choose which subjects they want to study at school too???
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    What's a "biast?"
    Sorry slip of the finger.
    Bias
    a particular tendency or inclination, especially one that prevents unprejudiced consideration of a question; prejudice.
    Statistics . a systematic as opposed to a random distortion of a statistic as a result of sampling procedure.
    Lawn Bowling .
    a.
    a slight bulge or greater weight on one side of the ball or bowl.
    b.
    the curved course made by such a ball when rolled.
    Electronics . the application of a steady voltage or current to an active device, as a diode or transistor, to produce a desired mode of operation.
    EXPAND
    Cheap Home Insurance
    Apply Online & Get 3 Competitive Quotes on Home Insurance.
    Ad
    www.insureme.com
    adjective
    cut, set, folded, etc., diagonally: This material requires a bias cut.
    Bias is one of our favorite verbs.
    So is fletcherise. Does it mean:
    to flee; abscond:
    to chew (food) slowly and thoroughly.
    LEARN MORE FUN, UNUSUAL VERBS WITH WORD DYNAMO...
    Longarm Quilting Machines
    Hand-Guided & Computerized Longarm quilting machines by APQS.
    Ad
    www.apqs.com
    adverb
    in a diagonal manner; obliquely; slantingly: to cut material bias.
    verb (used with object)
    to cause partiality or favoritism in (a person); influence, especially unfairly: a tearful plea designed to bias the jury.
    Electronics . to apply a steady voltage or current to (the input of an active device).
    Idiom
    on the bias,
    a.
    in the diagonal direction of the cloth.
    b.
    out of line; slanting.
    Origin:
    1520–30; < Middle French biais oblique < Old Provençal, probably < Vulgar Latin *( e ) bigassius < Greek epikársios oblique, equivalent to epi- epi- + -karsios oblique

Related forms
    sub·bi·as, noun
    su·per·bi·as, noun

Synonyms
    2. predisposition, preconception, predilection, partiality, proclivity; bent, leaning. Bias, prejudice mean a strong inclination of the mind or a preconceived opinion about something or someone. A bias may be favorable or unfavorable: bias in favor of or against an idea. Prejudice implies a preformed judgment even more unreasoning than bias, and usually implies an unfavorable opinion: prejudice against a race. 9. predispose, bend, incline, dispose.

Antonyms
    2. impartiality.

Example Sentences

Each team member must be willing to look at a situation objectively and let go of resentment and bias .

If the bias can be changed, perhaps the behavior will follow.

Even the superb black velvet evening blazer over its bias -cut Nile green satin gown would be an expensive number to make.

EXPAND
    Explore the Visual Thesaurus »
    Related Words for : bias
    preconception, prejudice, predetermine, diagonal
    View more related words »

Dictionary.com Unabridged
    Bi·as
       [bahy-uhs] Show IPA
    noun
    flourished 570 b.c., Greek philosopher, born in Ionia.
    Bi·a
       [bahy-uh] Show IPA
    noun
    the ancient Greek personification of force: daughter of Pallas and Styx and sister of Cratus, Nike, and Zelos.
    Based on the Random House Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2011.
    Cite This Source
    |
    Link To bias

Collins
    World English Dictionary
    bias (ˈbaɪəs) [Click for IPA pronunciation guide]

— n
    1. mental tendency or inclination, esp an irrational preference or prejudice
    2. a diagonal line or cut across the weave of a fabric
    3. electronics the voltage applied to an electronic device or system to establish suitable working conditions
    4. bowls
    a. a bulge or weight inside one side of a bowl
    b. the curved course of such a bowl on the green
    5. statistics
    a. an extraneous latent influence on, unrecognized conflated variable in, or selectivity in a sample which influences its distribution and so renders it unable to reflect the desired population parameters
    b. if T is an estimator of the parameter θ , the expected value of ( T--θ )
    6. an inaudible high-frequency signal used to improve the quality of a tape recording

— adj
    7. slanting obliquely; diagonal: a bias fold

— adv
    8. obliquely; diagonally

— vb , -ases , -asing , -ased , -*kitten* , -assing , -assed
    9. ( usually passive ) to cause to have a bias; prejudice; influence

[C16: from Old French biais , from Old Provençal, perhaps ultimately from Greek epikarsios oblique]

'biased

— adj

'biassed

— adj

Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 10th Edition
    2009 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins
    Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009
    Cite This Source
    Etymonline
    Word Origin & History

bias
    1520s, from Fr. biais "slant, oblique," also figuratively, "expedient, means" (13c., in O.Fr. "sideways, askance, against the grain"), from O.Prov. biais, with cognates in Old Catalan and Sardinian; possibly from V.L. *(e)bigassius, from Gk. epikarsios "athwart, crosswise, at an angle," from epi- "upon"
    EXPAND
    Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
    Cite This Source
    Merriam-Webster
    Legal Dictionary

Main Entry: BIA
    Function: abbreviation
    Bureau of Indian Affairs —see also the IMPORTANT AGENCIES section

Main Entry: bi·as
    Pronunciation: 'bI-&s
    Function: noun
    : a personal and often unreasoned judgment for or against one side in a dispute : PREJUDICE bias>

you have great copy and paste skills :bigsmile:
  • fit4mom
    Options

When it comes to kids it should be a dictatorship, or very similar to one. Children should not be free to eat what they want. They are children. Maybe we should let them choose which subjects they want to study at school too???
    We do. I got to choose my subjects in HS. Besides with all the job cuts (across the nation for banks soon) there will need to be recreation of jobs and skills to be learned. We need to teach them to make good choices so that they can capably do it as an adult. That's like saying that babies are incapable of learning to use the toilet. If we don't allow consequences to teach them how will they ever learn. Super Glue was made by mistake.
  • fit4mom
    Options
    What's a "biast?"
    Sorry slip of the finger.
    Bias
    a particular tendency or inclination, especially one that prevents unprejudiced consideration of a question; prejudice.
    Statistics . a systematic as opposed to a random distortion of a statistic as a result of sampling procedure.
    Lawn Bowling .
    a.
    a slight bulge or greater weight on one side of the ball or bowl.
    b.
    the curved course made by such a ball when rolled.
    Electronics . the application of a steady voltage or current to an active device, as a diode or transistor, to produce a desired mode of operation.
    EXPAND
    Cheap Home Insurance
    Apply Online & Get 3 Competitive Quotes on Home Insurance.
    Ad
    www.insureme.com
    adjective
    cut, set, folded, etc., diagonally: This material requires a bias cut.
    Bias is one of our favorite verbs.
    So is fletcherise. Does it mean:
    to flee; abscond:
    to chew (food) slowly and thoroughly.
    LEARN MORE FUN, UNUSUAL VERBS WITH WORD DYNAMO...
    Longarm Quilting Machines
    Hand-Guided & Computerized Longarm quilting machines by APQS.
    Ad
    www.apqs.com
    adverb
    in a diagonal manner; obliquely; slantingly: to cut material bias.
    verb (used with object)
    to cause partiality or favoritism in (a person); influence, especially unfairly: a tearful plea designed to bias the jury.
    Electronics . to apply a steady voltage or current to (the input of an active device).
    Idiom
    on the bias,
    a.
    in the diagonal direction of the cloth.
    b.
    out of line; slanting.
    Origin:
    1520–30; < Middle French biais oblique < Old Provençal, probably < Vulgar Latin *( e ) bigassius < Greek epikársios oblique, equivalent to epi- epi- + -karsios oblique

Related forms
    sub·bi·as, noun
    su·per·bi·as, noun

Synonyms
    2. predisposition, preconception, predilection, partiality, proclivity; bent, leaning. Bias, prejudice mean a strong inclination of the mind or a preconceived opinion about something or someone. A bias may be favorable or unfavorable: bias in favor of or against an idea. Prejudice implies a preformed judgment even more unreasoning than bias, and usually implies an unfavorable opinion: prejudice against a race. 9. predispose, bend, incline, dispose.

Antonyms
    2. impartiality.

Example Sentences

Each team member must be willing to look at a situation objectively and let go of resentment and bias .

If the bias can be changed, perhaps the behavior will follow.

Even the superb black velvet evening blazer over its bias -cut Nile green satin gown would be an expensive number to make.

EXPAND
    Explore the Visual Thesaurus »
    Related Words for : bias
    preconception, prejudice, predetermine, diagonal
    View more related words »

Bi·as
       [bahy-uhs] Show IPA
    noun
    flourished 570 b.c., Greek philosopher, born in Ionia.
    Bi·a
       [bahy-uh] Show IPA
    noun
    the ancient Greek personification of force: daughter of Pallas and Styx and sister of Cratus, Nike, and Zelos.
    Based on the Random House Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2011.
    Cite This Source
    |
    Link To bias

Collins
    World English Dictionary
    bias (ˈbaɪəs) [Click for IPA pronunciation guide]

— n
    1. mental tendency or inclination, esp an irrational preference or prejudice
    2. a diagonal line or cut across the weave of a fabric
    3. electronics the voltage applied to an electronic device or system to establish suitable working conditions
    4. bowls
    a. a bulge or weight inside one side of a bowl
    b. the curved course of such a bowl on the green
    5. statistics
    a. an extraneous latent influence on, unrecognized conflated variable in, or selectivity in a sample which influences its distribution and so renders it unable to reflect the desired population parameters
    b. if T is an estimator of the parameter θ , the expected value of ( T--θ )
    6. an inaudible high-frequency signal used to improve the quality of a tape recording

— adj
    7. slanting obliquely; diagonal: a bias fold

— adv
    8. obliquely; diagonally

— vb , -ases , -asing , -ased , -*kitten* , -assing , -assed
    9. ( usually passive ) to cause to have a bias; prejudice; influence

[C16: from Old French biais , from Old Provençal, perhaps ultimately from Greek epikarsios oblique]

'biased

— adj

'biassed

— adj

Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 10th Edition
    2009 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins
    Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009
    Cite This Source
    Etymonline
    Word Origin & History

bias
    1520s, from Fr. biais "slant, oblique," also figuratively, "expedient, means" (13c., in O.Fr. "sideways, askance, against the grain"), from O.Prov. biais, with cognates in Old Catalan and Sardinian; possibly from V.L. *(e)bigassius, from Gk. epikarsios "athwart, crosswise, at an angle," from epi- "upon"
    EXPAND
    Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
    Cite This Source
    Merriam-Webster
    Legal Dictionary

Main Entry: BIA
    Function: abbreviation
    Bureau of Indian Affairs —see also the IMPORTANT AGENCIES section

Main Entry: bi·as
    Pronunciation: 'bI-&s
    Function: noun
    : a personal and often unreasoned judgment for or against one side in a dispute : PREJUDICE bias>

you have great copy and paste skills
    Thank you:mad: :glasses: Get it mad cool.:laugh:
  • Laura_Ivy
    Laura_Ivy Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Super glue was made by mistake? Huh,you learn something new everyday!
  • hmstarbuck
    hmstarbuck Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    4ITH2.jpg

AWESOME!!
  • hmstarbuck
    Options
    I put low fat cream cheese on my potatoes. Even if we do, it's like anything. In moderation alcohol is good for your health. So is dark chocolate and salt. Should we get rid of those as well. Oh too many sick people, let's just let them die, right? I understand that we go too far. It's about educating and not arraticating. I think that we should educate our students on eating, why not nutrition classes in school. Home ec never taught me how to eat. How to cook maybe but not how to eat.

I completely agree with this posting.

I am all for healthy school lunches! I thinks that a great way for kids to learn the difference between junk and not junk. However, it has to be up to the parents to teach kids too. So hopefully (and I know its not the norm) the kid is eating and playing at home to offset those icky school lunches. But let's face it, the schools are broke. They what they can in bulk and make the most of it. I think its sad, but its the way it is.

Now on the other hand I do have a problem with the fact that my daughter cannot eat off the salad bar and put it on her lunch card. She has to pay for it separate. Now THAT, I would love to blame on the school!
  • afigueroa_pr
    Options

I am all for healthy school lunches! I thinks that a great way for kids to learn the difference between junk and not junk. However, it has to be up to the parents to teach kids too. So hopefully (and I know its not the norm) the kid is eating and playing at home to offset those icky school lunches. But let's face it, the schools are broke. They what they can in bulk and make the most of it. I think its sad, but its the way it is.

Now on the other hand I do have a problem with the fact that my daughter cannot eat off the salad bar and put it on her lunch card. She has to pay for it separate. Now THAT, I would love to blame on the school!

What?? I didn't know that? They make you pay for the healthy stuff while they cover the unhealthy stuff? What a lovely country this is. (Sarcasm)
  • hmstarbuck
    Options
    Oh no! I have to pay for it all. But at my daughter's school they have a lunch card that you put money on and that's how they pay for their lunches. But for some reason she can't put the salads on there. So I have to send actual money for her when she eats salads, which she does often. I find that STUPID

[/quote]What?? I didn't know that? They make you pay for the healthy stuff while they cover the unhealthy stuff? What a lovely country this is. (Sarcasm)
    [/quote]
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    4ITH2.jpg

Except that the USDA, the ones that created (but no longer use) that pyramid, were the ones asking to NOT continue counting the tiny bit of tomato sauce on pizza as a vegetable. If you don't like the decision you should contact your senator(s) because it was the Senate that shot down the proposed changes.