body fat

Options
2»

Replies

• Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I have never had my body fat measured so I cannot compare to how I was before!

Today at the gym I went on the machine that measures it and it was 27.8%. Seems to be almost in the good range but average so I now have an aim of getting it down!

How much weight do u have to lose to lose a bit of % of body fat??

You can calculate what your goal weight would be based on a goal body fat percentage. I'll use myself as an example. Sso I think I have a body fat percentage of 25%.

I weigh: 152 lbs
    152 lbs * 0.25 = 38 lbs of fat,
    152 lbs - 38 lbs = 114 lbs of lean body mass.

Now lets assume I lose ONLY fat and maintain all muscle (this is very rare), and lets say I want 18% body fat (which I do). So at my goal weight, I'll still have 114 lbs of lean body mass, and that will make up 82% of my body weight.

114 lbs = 0.82 * goal

My goal weight = 114 lbs / 0.82 = 139 lbs

So in summary:

Goal weight = (Current weight - current weight * current body fat percentage) / (1 - goal body fat percentage)

*Except for the fact that you most likely will lose some lean body mass along the way....
  • OutiR
    OutiR Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Living in South-East Asia I have been surprised to learn that most of these tiny Asian females who look super slim have actually quite high body fat %. This is explained to be due to the fact that it is not so common to exercise here to get muscles so relatively high % of their weight is fat even if they are underweight in western charts.
    And must say, lean muscles look much nicer than no muscles at all so please try have ANY exercise that makes you happy to build some muscles too!!! ***I'm reminding myself here!***