How Often Do You Work Out??

Options
13»

Replies

• Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    I'm seeing lots of these rest days.....I don't take a rest day....a rest day to me is one day a week I do something non gym related, I go rollerblading, swimming, I play tennis with my kids, there is absolutely nothing wrong with working out to some capacity every day of the week, maybe i'm wrong but these "rest" days, does that mean you just sit around all day?? I don't get that??

uh no i dont think any of us sit around... I know for myself EVERY day is filled with kids and running around like a chicken with my head cut off trying to get kids out the door and make lunch and clean and grab the kids off the bus and run to the store.... i think a rest day is more of a day where you dont set a spacific workout... my average day is pretty active ... but i am not at the gym doing 700 calories burn with zumba... that is a rest day in my books
    :flowerforyou:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    OK, I am going to hijack my own thread...So those of you who are working out , are you consistently getting all your exercise cals? I have a cardio pump class 1 x week where I burn 1200-1400 calories per my HRM - and this class is in the evening . Most days I get most of my calories, but on cardio pump days my net calorie need is close to 3000 calories:noway: I know I could get in the calories, but I just don't want that much! I know the subject of "rollover calories" has come up before, are any of you using some of your extra calories on non exercise days? Hope that makes sense....
    Depends, often I eat about 1/2 my workout cals back.

FC:heart:
  • LisaZaugg1976
    LisaZaugg1976 Posts: 1,144 Member
    Options
    my goal is 5-6 days per week

last week only did 4.
  • drewzaun
    drewzaun Posts: 111
    Options
    I am in base mode so right now I am doing cardio 5-6 days a week and stregth training for 5. Once I get closer to the cycling season I will back off on cardio days but ramp up the miles and intensities and if history is any judge I will leave the weights until Fall.

I prefer split sessions so I lift at lunch and then go after dinner for cardio. Probably 20-30 minutes on weights and 45-80 minute cardio sessions.
  • drewzaun
    drewzaun Posts: 111
    Options
    I'm seeing lots of these rest days.....I don't take a rest day....a rest day to me is one day a week I do something non gym related, I go rollerblading, swimming, I play tennis with my kids, there is absolutely nothing wrong with working out to some capacity every day of the week, maybe i'm wrong but these "rest" days, does that mean you just sit around all day?? I don't get that??

If you are doing a hardcore workout you need to give your body time to recover, or it will not benefit totally from the workout. If all you are doing is base miles, or staying in fat burning zones then sure, you can probably work out everyday. Then the rest day is just to break up the monotony.

But once your intensity goes up you need to give those muscles a chance to rest. Typically this is after a long workout day. And before your event you should taper, or ease way back on time and intensity.
  • GIBride01
    GIBride01 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    OK, I am going to hijack my own thread...So those of you who are working out , are you consistently getting all your exercise cals? I have a cardio pump class 1 x week where I burn 1200-1400 calories per my HRM - and this class is in the evening . Most days I get most of my calories, but on cardio pump days my net calorie need is close to 3000 calories:noway: I know I could get in the calories, but I just don't want that much! I know the subject of "rollover calories" has come up before, are any of you using some of your extra calories on non exercise days? Hope that makes sense....
    Depends, often I eat about 1/2 my workout cals back.

FC:heart:

Ok, you all are making me feel better that I am working out most days a week and not eating back all my exercise calories. I am active most days, but I have trouble not turning a relaxed walk into a 3 1/2 mile power walk. I do feel a little less anal now..especially since I just did a 3 mile 12 min mile walk:blushing: Hubbys Bday is Wednesday, and I think he is going to play hooky from work, so that can be a rest day for me. Thanks again!