Should I treat this like AA? Hi, my name is Melissa and I'm

Options
I'm frustrated. With myself, with life, just...frustrated.

I know I need to make a change in my life, a BIG change. I'm damn near obese and that pisses me off. I hate that I am 23 and the biggest person I know. I hate that I haven't been strong enough to truly exercise and eat right. I hate that I hate so many things!

I love my family, my friends and the thought of living a normal life. One that doesn't include self loathing. I know that because I'm all ready overweight I will always have to pay attention to what I'm eating and how much I'm moving. My hope is that one day that attention won't be so time consuming and overwhelming.

Everyday I think about food. Everyday I think about exercise. Some days I will actually eat good things (and correct portions of them) and sometimes I even add exercise! But that's not my norm. I despiratly want to just go through the day, everyday, doing what is good for me without over thinking every step.

OK! Pity party way over. I'm not this whinny or pathetic, well, I don't allow people to know that I am anyway. I feel that no matter how happy I am in the back of my mind my weight is always there. Laughing at me. Making me stand out in a crowd. Forcing me to be uncomfortable in my own skin.

I know I have control over this. I know I can make the change. I need a routine. A realistic and pretty easy to get into routine. I would appreciate input from others. As far as exercise and meals go I know a lot. I was actually in weight lifting in high school and that knowledge has stayed with me (I just don't utilize it like I should). As far as healthy foods and portions I'm also knowledgeable. I love to research and I have a pretty good idea as to what I should be doing.

I need to stay on task. I need to be held accountable. I would try to have my family and boyfriend do this...but they just love me so much they couldn't possibly deny me a delicious slice of pizza or tell me don't to drink that soda (can you feel the sarcasm burning through the screen?)

Any motivation is absolutely welcome! I'm currently 165lbs and looking to be around 130lbs. To me it seems like that day will never come. Honestly, I don't even care. If I could just be healthier and not be jiggly from head to toe I would be happy! More muscle, less fat. Please and Thank You!

Replies

• RobertG86
    Options
    HI Melissa Welcome.:happy:
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    it is like AA for me also. If I skip a mtg, i binge! I think healthwise, we have to think of it that way too. we need to get healthy to stay around for those we love. just try to complete what you want to eat each day before you eat it. that way you know you will stay within your calorie count.if you want to eat more, exercise more. if you stick with it, you will have a lot of friends on here for support. its like crack to me now. cant live without it!lol
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome, I am sure you will find the right kind of friends here to challenge, support, and uplift you when you need it.
  • RobertG86
    Options
    What are your goals. Daily, Weekly, Monthly?
  • kimmie185
    kimmie185 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    You can do it!! Think positive thoughts and take it one day at a time. After some time good things will just become a habit. :)
  • elizwelshman
    Options
    Welcome aboard Melissa!! :smile:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    I'm frustrated. With myself, with life, just...frustrated.

I know I need to make a change in my life, a BIG change. I'm damn near obese and that pisses me off. I hate that I am 23 and the biggest person I know. I hate that I haven't been strong enough to truly exercise and eat right. I hate that I hate so many things!

I love my family, my friends and the thought of living a normal life. One that doesn't include self loathing. I know that because I'm all ready overweight I will always have to pay attention to what I'm eating and how much I'm moving. My hope is that one day that attention won't be so time consuming and overwhelming.

Everyday I think about food. Everyday I think about exercise. Some days I will actually eat good things (and correct portions of them) and sometimes I even add exercise! But that's not my norm. I despiratly want to just go through the day, everyday, doing what is good for me without over thinking every step.

OK! Pity party way over. I'm not this whinny or pathetic, well, I don't allow people to know that I am anyway. I feel that no matter how happy I am in the back of my mind my weight is always there. Laughing at me. Making me stand out in a crowd. Forcing me to be uncomfortable in my own skin.

I know I have control over this. I know I can make the change. I need a routine. A realistic and pretty easy to get into routine. I would appreciate input from others. As far as exercise and meals go I know a lot. I was actually in weight lifting in high school and that knowledge has stayed with me (I just don't utilize it like I should). As far as healthy foods and portions I'm also knowledgeable. I love to research and I have a pretty good idea as to what I should be doing.

I need to stay on task. I need to be held accountable. I would try to have my family and boyfriend do this...but they just love me so much they couldn't possibly deny me a delicious slice of pizza or tell me don't to drink that soda (can you feel the sarcasm burning through the screen?)

Any motivation is absolutely welcome! I'm currently 165lbs and looking to be around 130lbs. To me it seems like that day will never come. Honestly, I don't even care. If I could just be healthier and not be jiggly from head to toe I would be happy! More muscle, less fat. Please and Thank You!
    Sounds like you love everyone but yourself. And it has to start there first before anything can be fixed. People that like themselves have problems just as anyone else, but they respect themselves enough to do what it takes to solve them.
    "Like yourself unconditionally". It's always something I tell to my clients and I know that it's part of the reason they succeed.
    Welcome to the forums.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Lt_Hawkeye
    Options
    Hey Melissa! Welcome to My Fitness Pal!

What's your current fitness level? I have some programs I would recommend for you: Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred and Ripped in 30. But it's best that you're an intermediate exerciser before you start doing them.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    What you call yourself has to be your decision, it will become part of your identity and either a motivator or demotivator for you.

Me, I'm not giving myself anymore negative labels. I have enough already. I won't even accept a politely, optimistically worded one. In fact, if I went crazy and became a mass murderer, I would call myself an expert human discorporealator.

(In case anyone was wondering, that was a joke and unrelated to any and all of my actual future plans!)
  • wmlpd6
    wmlpd6 Posts: 135
    Options
    Welcome to MFP and good luck with your goals. Theres plenty of folks here to inspire, challenge, listen and kick ya in the butt if you need.
  • RobertG86
    Options
    Also 35 pounds doesnt make you a fatty.
  • melcasa
    melcasa Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Ah! So many comments and I haven't figure out how to reply to each thing!

First and Foremost WOW! Thank all of you for the instant responses! I'm reading through everything now and will respond but for now

THANKS!!
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    You can do this!

I believe in yooouuu.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Hi Melissa,

Just remember you've only 1 lb to lose... the next one.

Here's how I started:

1) tracking for a couple of weeks before I worried about losing.
    (although seeing what I was eating I couldn't help but rein back a bit)

2) seeing where I could make small changes on things that weren't that important to me.
    (Don't even think of taking chocolate out of my diet!!!)
    --Reducing quantities where I won't notice it so much
    --Swapping out things instead of eliminating them.

3) Look at my diary and started adding foods that had positive healthy effects specifically for the health issue in my family.
    I found most of the things I "should" add were really yummy too! salmon, avocado, oatmeal, mango, red grapes....
    (Sort of think of food as medicine to deal with family history of various health issue oatmeal is good for heart health, mango and red grapes lower cholesterol, tumeric and cinnamon good for arthritis)

4) every couple of weeks I see where I can make another couple of small changes.
    If you completely revamp your diet, it's way easy to revert to old ways in times of stress. (and who doesn't have stress?)
    If you make a series of small changes, food still offers you some sense of comfort.
    sort of a comfort continuum, and after a while the first small changes will seem comforting in themselves.
    You don't have to be perfect you just have to do better.

5) also rather than being uberstrict with the target MFP set for me I did the math to find out the calories needed to maintain my goal weight and my current weight and I gave myself a range with 1200 as my rock bottom, lose 1 lb/wk as my target*** and maintain my goal weight as the top of my range. As long as I keep within in this range I'll lose. I tend to naturally zig zag my calories 3-4 at very close to my target and then a higher calorie day closer to the top of my range.

As long as I stayed under maintain my current weight calories I won't gain. So no need to throw in the towel, just pick-up where I left off.

Once I found ways to lessen the stress, I found it way easier to focus on the process and let the results follow. (It's what worked for me some people need the stress to get them motivated. Me I get scared and overwhelmed and don't see the big goal as acheivable. I only worry about it 1 lb at a time.)

I did have to take a break for a month due to a health scare, but otherwise I kept with the slow and steady approach. Took me 9 months (including the month off) At first I lost at the rate of about 3 lbs per month, but the closer you get to the goal the slower it goes. So be patient and hang in there.

***also once my lose 1 lb/week target was down to 1200 calories I switch to lose 1/2 lb/ week (1200 cal rock bottom, 1/2 lb/week as my target, maintain goal weight as the high end of my range.)

Food is not the enemy.
    Oddly enough on my journey here I've reduced guilt over food.
    I have the occassional treat and I fully enjoy it with no guilt involved.
    The thing is since I'm not eating crap all the time the occassional treat is just that a TREAT it's special and I enjoy it so much more than when I was unconsciously shovel junk food into my face.

I figure if I've got a good plan that I can actually maintain I can keep this off for a long time to come, without feeling deprived.

Good Luck
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

You say

"no matter how happy I am in the back of my mind my weight is always there. Laughing at me. Making me stand out in a crowd. Forcing me to be uncomfortable in my own skin."

To me that says you've got some work to do on your mindset as well as your food and exercise. I was just in the 'obese' category and I never felt like I stood out and I was pretty happy in my own skin (not totally obviously, which is why I'm losing). But self esteem shouldn't be related to how you look, ideally.

I guarantee that you don't stand out in a crowd! You may have skinny friends, but compared to the majority of people, you're pretty damn normal! But that feeling of embarass ment and awkwardness is something that you can work on.

Good luck on your journey!
  • ChildofGallifrey
    Options
    Hello Melissa c:

This was an emotional post. Exactly how I feel. Look we are a huge community and we will all help you as you will help us. Together we will all have healthy bodies, minds, and souls. Kick food addiction in the butt!

Cheers,
    Paola P.
  • Tani316
    Options
    Welcome Melissa.

This is one of those things that is definitely difficult in the beginning but after a few weeks it becomes much easier. Whenever you get the urge to binge, think of what you really want for yourself in this life, not just what you want right now.

Exercise is a big fried food deterrent for me in the most unusual way.
    Once I had an idea of the nutritional value of the junk I was eating I would ask myself how many miles I would have to walk just to offset it and am I willing to do that in addition to my standard routine?

Also when my mind slips and tells me to start shoveling food in my mouth when I know it's not time to eat I sometimes log on to mfp and browse the forums. These people are hilarious, encouraging, knowledgeable, perfect strangers that wish you nothing but the best and the success stories are a big motivator.

Good Luck! :flowerforyou:
  • melcasa
    Options
    OK! Wow! Tons of replies coming at you!

@annabellj
    I really like the concept of this. I actually did this when I was working because I had to prepare my lunch daily so I would go ahead and get breakfast and lunch done each night (because I like to sleep!) I got out of the habit but I think it will really be a key to me sticking to things. Thanks!

@vjrose
    Thank you for the welcome and support!

@robertg86
    Daily goals: Drink more water than coffee (probably can’t happen hah) No..really..at this point I think I just want to stick to a healthy daily diet. Solid breakfast, healthy lunch, and dinner (my mortal enemy). Weekly I would say making sure I have exercised enough. Monthly: starting to see that I am in a regular pattern of eating and exercise.

@cutiekimmie18
    Thank you for the motivation. I read Buddhist quotes every day so thankfully I have some positive thoughts! Hopefully more will be coming soon!

@elizwelshman
    Thank you!

@ninerbuff
    If I knew how to do that I wouldn’t be here :p Don’t get me wrong, I am so proud of what I have accomplished in my life. My weight which I have struggled with for 10 years has def. done a number on my psyche. I’m stuck in the belief that until I lose weight I can’t love myself.

@lt_hawkeye
    My fitness level…I’m good with strength training. Cardio below beginner all the way. I hate to run so if I’m doing cardio I need to trick myself into it! I’ve tried P90X. I did it for a week and a half and was no longer able to walk, sit, stand or lay. So I’m nowhere near that level of intensity (and I wasn’t even giving it my all!)

@MaraDiaz
    LOL First off I love your sense of humor! I agree. I know that how I think will affect how I behave. I don’t do a lot of negative self bashing I’m just tired of defeating myself over and over again. Thank you for the reminder. I will try to stay more positive and less self demeaning!

@wmlpd6
    Thanks! I’m glad to hear it!

@skywa
    Thanks! Now I just need to believe in myself!

@auntiebabs
    Thank you for sharing! Coffee is my chocolate for sure. I will take your story into consideration. I’m trying to balance the number of calories calculators tell me I should have and my growling stomach. Perhaps I’m not getting enough of one particular thing and that’s why I’m still hungry after I have met my calorie goal (and this is when I 100% stick to a healthy diet which I can usually only do for a 1-3 weeks before I revert back to my old evil ways)

@eleanorjanethinne
    Yeah my mind is pretty out of wack!

@childofgallifrey
    I’m sorry to hear that you also feel this way. It’s pretty ****ty. I am so happy that I decided to post. Part of me hates it though because the support is overwhelming and maybe scarier than my own thoughts! Hah! Thank you for the response I’m certain we will both obtain our goals!
  • melcasa
    Options
    @tani316

Thankfully I rarely binge. It’s more of not realizing (or ignoring) how much I’m eating or what I’m eating.
    I try to eat natural and organic foods typically. Yeah the thought of all the processed mess that is in food today makes me sick. Even worse, sometimes I just crave nasty greasy food (can I blame that on living in the south!?)
    I will definitely be using this community to work through my feelings and struggles! Thank you for the response!
  • Lt_Hawkeye
    Options
    @lt_hawkeye
    My fitness level…I’m good with strength training. Cardio below beginner all the way. I hate to run so if I’m doing cardio I need to trick myself into it! I’ve tried P90X. I did it for a week and a half and was no longer able to walk, sit, stand or lay. So I’m nowhere near that level of intensity (and I wasn’t even giving it my all!)

Oh I see. Well then the 30 Day Shred and the Ripped in 30 would be great for you! It's strength training combined with cardio, and the cardio ain't that bad since it's only for 2 minutes at each circuit. So I guess it's pretty much circuit training: You do 3 minutes of strength, 2 minutes of cardio, and 1 minute devoted to doing ab workouts. Rinse and repeat for 20-30 minutes and you'll feel like you've got an hour's worth of working out at the gym!