Should I treat this like AA? Hi, my name is Melissa and I'm

Options

Replies

• OneDayAtaTime1967
    Options
    Well Melissa, you are in the right place now, Let's get passed pissed off because I've been there. I got something even more to be pissed off about. How about in 2004 I lost 96lbs from Jan. to Oct down from a size 24 to a 12 and I'm back up to a 22. Now just think how pissed I should be. But since I joined myfitnesspal I to realize that the reason I gained all of the weight back is because I didn't know that logging all my food down everyday is going to be a LIFE TIME THING TO DO. I am and will always be just like ppl that attend AA meetings, I am a over eater. Once you realize who you are, you need to stop being pissed off and lets do something about it. There are a lot of ppl here on this site is just like us and we'll support you in every way just keep talking, and making changes in your life. Everyone here has a story and a lot of them has lost weight. I have been on the site for only 19 days and I have lost 7lbs and I have been feeling better than I have in years. Log in every day post all food even if its a bad day and we'll get through this thing together. So here's a big Welcome Melissa from me and all of your my fitness pals.

LET'S GET THIS PARTY STARTED!!!!!!!!!
  • PMPB7
    PMPB7 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hi Melissa,

I am so glad you are here! Truly, it something like AA or OA for eaters. It might feel sad to say it like that, but our love of food and no exercise is what ails us. Admitting it IS the first step. Doing something about it and really working the steps to make a BIG change IS NOT easy! You are doing the right thing and it is my hope and prayer for you and myself, (and every one here) that this will be the final beginning on a journey that will last a LIFETIME. There will be ups and downs for sure, but this time will pass and next summer will be here again. Shorts and bathing suit time. Whether you are ready or not. This is your chance to be ready and shine.

Welcome to the site. It is only my second day using it, and I am with ya!

Bernie
  • PMPB7
    PMPB7 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Well Melissa, you are in the right place now, Let's get passed pissed off because I've been there. I got something even more to be pissed off about. How about in 2004 I lost 96lbs from Jan. to Oct down from a size 24 to a 12 and I'm back up to a 22. Now just think how pissed I should be. But since I joined myfitnesspal I to realize that the reason I gained all of the weight back is because I didn't know that logging all my food down everyday is going to be a LIFE TIME THING TO DO. I am and will always be just like ppl that attend AA meetings, I am a over eater. Once you realize who you are, you need to stop being pissed off and lets do something about it. There are a lot of ppl here on this site is just like us and we'll support you in every way just keep talking, and making changes in your life. Everyone here has a story and a lot of them has lost weight. I have been on the site for only 19 days and I have lost 7lbs and I have been feeling better than I have in years. Log in every day post all food even if its a bad day and we'll get through this thing together. So here's a big Welcome Melissa from me and all of your my fitness pals.

I am SOOOOO glad you are on my team in this new journey for me! I feel your pain. I have lost and gained, over and again! I so want it BAD this time around!!!!!!!!
  • BenderFitness
    Options
    Hi Melissa,

You can definitely do this. It sounds like you already know what you need to do and just need some help with the motivation aspects of it. Also, your goal is very realistic and achievable! It sounds like you just need to find changes that will fit with your lifestyle.

(my name is also) Melissa
  • turningstar
    turningstar Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Welcome Melissa! I could have written your post. Im even the same weight as you! Im starting the
    fatness to fitness train too. I've failed many times, but my almost one year old son is now
    My motivation. That, and the prospect of a new career a few years down the road ( which relies on
    Fitness). Coming from someone who always pushed as hard as possible and burned out, my advice
    Is baby steps. Week one- drink more water and walk a mile. Week two- cut down on sugars and junk
    And walk three miles. Week three- watch portion sizes and do a workout video twice. These are just
    Examples. Everyone is different.
    Also, find your motivation. Buy a dress that is a little too small and workout till it fits, cut out pics of
    Your dream body and work toward it.
    Good luck, and message me anytime you need a buddy!
  • Thea7777
    Options
    I just need to look at this one day at a time ... if I look at the big picture its overwhelming! But today - sure I can do this :smile:
  • gcinann
    Options
    wow melissa welcome

i don't know what to sayn luv, they say it all... im new here i already enjoyed it

To all keep it up>>>>>
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Hey Melissa! I hear you trying to control. Control starts with realizing that you can't control by sheer willpower. I have the same addictive personality with food that I have with booze or shopping or nearly anything that is "comfort" type doing. But we need food to survive, which is quite different booze. I had to admit there were certain foods that I just can't eat everyday. I found out that sugars are my downfall and complex carbs all break down into sugars. I use them poorly, I get that rush and then that crash and then the cravings all start and I'm out of control again. So I eat low carb. I just do better in general doing that. I'm not saying you should, what I'm suggesting is that you find your triggers, those foods that send you spiraling out of control, and start there. Little steps, one day at a time... You know how to do that! :wink:
  • Sunlight2011
    Sunlight2011 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    That day WILL come. Believe. Welcome to the beginning of reaching your goal!!
  • OneDayAtaTime1967
    Options

I am SOOOOO glad you are on my team in this new journey for me! I feel your pain. I have lost and gained, over and again! I so want it BAD this time around!!!!!!!!
    I'm glad we're on the same team too!!!!!!!
  • melcasa
    melcasa Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    @lt_hawkeye
    My fitness level…I’m good with strength training. Cardio below beginner all the way. I hate to run so if I’m doing cardio I need to trick myself into it! I’ve tried P90X. I did it for a week and a half and was no longer able to walk, sit, stand or lay. So I’m nowhere near that level of intensity (and I wasn’t even giving it my all!)

Oh I see. Well then the 30 Day Shred and the Ripped in 30 would be great for you! It's strength training combined with cardio, and the cardio ain't that bad since it's only for 2 minutes at each circuit. So I guess it's pretty much circuit training: You do 3 minutes of strength, 2 minutes of cardio, and 1 minute devoted to doing ab workouts. Rinse and repeat for 20-30 minutes and you'll feel like you've got an hour's worth of working out at the gym!

That sounds pretty manageable I will check it out today. Thanks for the tip!

Step one: get the dvd (easy)
    Step two: use the dvd (not so easy)
  • melcasa
    Options

I love this post! It is great to meet you! I can't wait to get started. I'm trying to figure out when I want to exercise. First thing in the morning or later afternoon?

Also I have to say you are so strong and focused. Yeah maybe you gained the weight back, but the fact that you were able to lose so much in the first place is nothing to write off! Thank you for sharing and I look forward to getting to know you!
  • melcasa
    Options
    Hi Melissa,

I am so glad you are here! Truly, it something like AA or OA for eaters. It might feel sad to say it like that, but our love of food and no exercise is what ails us. Admitting it IS the first step. Doing something about it and really working the steps to make a BIG change IS NOT easy! You are doing the right thing and it is my hope and prayer for you and myself, (and every one here) that this will be the final beginning on a journey that will last a LIFETIME. There will be ups and downs for sure, but this time will pass and next summer will be here again. Shorts and bathing suit time. Whether you are ready or not. This is your chance to be ready and shine.

Welcome to the site. It is only my second day using it, and I am with ya!

Bernie

Bernie thank you for the support! Shorts and bathing suit time is def. a motivation for me. I never wear shorts outside of the house and a bathing suit...well...I wear them but I never feel like I should. I'm hoping that in 2012 I will have a reason to strut proudly into the sea...not run as fast as I can so no one will see my body!!!

Congrats on day two! Nice to meet you and I look forward to working with you! Life changes here we come!
  • lmmiller1
    Options
    Hi Melissa!
    Wow you sound like you have been listening to my thoughts about myself!!
    Well welcome to MPF and with the right motivation from your family here and at home, along from yourself you will do great.
    I have also come to realize that we think 20x's worst about ourselfs than what reality is......Your beautiful and can do this!!
  • melcasa
    Options
    Hi Melissa,

You can definitely do this. It sounds like you already know what you need to do and just need some help with the motivation aspects of it. Also, your goal is very realistic and achievable! It sounds like you just need to find changes that will fit with your lifestyle.

(my name is also) Melissa

Thanks Melissa! I really do need help staying motivated. What I typically do is workout or eat right (sometimes both) for a short span of time. And once I realize how well I'm doing I panic, I guess, and completely destroy all the progress I've made. I know that in addictions and in mental illness the brain actually rewires itself to feel more comfortable when in chaos. So I think I have really made a strong connection between being unhealthy and being "me" Sounds terrible but that's the only way I can describe my need to self sabotage.

Thank you for the encouragement!
  • melcasa
    Options
    Welcome Melissa! I could have written your post. Im even the same weight as you! Im starting the
    fatness to fitness train too. I've failed many times, but my almost one year old son is now
    My motivation. That, and the prospect of a new career a few years down the road ( which relies on
    Fitness). Coming from someone who always pushed as hard as possible and burned out, my advice
    Is baby steps. Week one- drink more water and walk a mile. Week two- cut down on sugars and junk
    And walk three miles. Week three- watch portion sizes and do a workout video twice. These are just
    Examples. Everyone is different.
    Also, find your motivation. Buy a dress that is a little too small and workout till it fits, cut out pics of
    Your dream body and work toward it.
    Good luck, and message me anytime you need a buddy!

Thanks for the advice. I'm glad you have found your motivation; your son will be very proud of you when he's old enough to understand!

I like the examples you gave me I will be putting those into action. The walking a mile is good for me as I like the outdoors.

I think my motivation (dress wise) is a sleeveless dress. I have some serious arm fat and it absolutely kills me when I reach to get something from across a table or desk and I see my non existent tricep waving hello to everyone!
  • melcasa
    Options
    I just need to look at this one day at a time ... if I look at the big picture its overwhelming! But today - sure I can do this :smile:

Yeah the "holy crap I need to lose 30lbs" aspect is really hard for me. I am just looking forward to getting down 5lbs right now. Then 10lbs. That's as far ahead as I'm willing to look because I know the big 30lbs is out there but I'm sure once I get down 10lbs I will plateau there. My weight was a steady 150 all of high school and into college. Just recently did I bloat up to 165.

Thank you for the encouragement!
  • melcasa
    Options
    wow melissa welcome

i don't know what to sayn luv, they say it all... im new here i already enjoyed it

To all keep it up>>>>>

Yeah there are some pretty amazing people here I can't believe I waited so long to post here!

Well welcome to you and I can't wait to hear about your progress!
  • melcasa
    Options
    Hey Melissa! I hear you trying to control. Control starts with realizing that you can't control by sheer willpower. I have the same addictive personality with food that I have with booze or shopping or nearly anything that is "comfort" type doing. But we need food to survive, which is quite different booze. I had to admit there were certain foods that I just can't eat everyday. I found out that sugars are my downfall and complex carbs all break down into sugars. I use them poorly, I get that rush and then that crash and then the cravings all start and I'm out of control again. So I eat low carb. I just do better in general doing that. I'm not saying you should, what I'm suggesting is that you find your triggers, those foods that send you spiraling out of control, and start there. Little steps, one day at a time... You know how to do that! :wink:

I absolutely identify with you in regards to using these things to an extreme for comfort. I know I used to just sit down and eat nearly a whole loaf of fresh Italian bread and it was amazing! Thankfully I don't do that anymore but simple carbs are definitely a big part of my (old?) life. I've been slowly integrating whole grain into my diet and for the most part I enjoy it. This came about when I realized that I wasn't eating that much sugar and yet seemed to be gaining like I was eating a bag of candies a day! It was def. the breads (why can't our bodies break them down into something more useful!?)

Thank you for the encouragement! I appreciate you sharing your story with me. Good luck and let's kick this damn carb habit to the curb!
  • melcasa
    Options
    That day WILL come. Believe. Welcome to the beginning of reaching your goal!!

Thank you for the motivation!