Ever been made fun of for being healthy?

Options
13»

Replies

• Xtina_Beba
    Options
    Hmmmm I've been recently given the nickname, "Dinosaur" by a peer at school because I follow PALEO (caveman diet). However, I know it's all fun and games...and I think it's cute sort of.
  • TitanianEternal
    Options
    all the time and the funny thing about it is its usualy the fat/unhealthy people makin fun of me
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Hmm, not really made fun of just the usual harmless teasing where I get the "You're disappearing on us!" or make some kind of reference about never bothering to offer me food because I wouldn't accept it.
  • reepobob
    reepobob Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    The people who are either ambivalent (my kids and soon to be ex-wife) or are very supportive (my parents) far outweigh (no pun intended) the douche canoes that make fun of me...and those that do make fun are secretly jealous and I could give two SH!Ts less what they think...I wear my fit lifestyle and food choices like an effing badge of honor...they can all pound sand for all I care.
  • calderst
    calderst Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    In some ways, I think it makes others feel guilty. They see us doing something about it, making the right choices-- and it proves that so much of it really is a choice.
  • ciaobellakiss
    Options
    Yes, my sister makes fun of me for it.
  • livnlite
    livnlite Posts: 520
    Options
    So I have a few people in my life that make fun of me for being healthy..its so annoying. I feel like im going to kill them all one day. LOL jk. but they talk *kitten* about me exercising..about me counting calories..about my food scale....these people by the way that do it are so un healthy..they lay around most of the day..smoke..eat fast food atleast 3 times a week and never exercise. So I was just wondering am i alone in this or has anyone else ever dealt with this?

Another example of why we should 'consider the source'. There is definitely something wrong with someone who offers nothing but condescension when someone, like yourself, is trying to improve their quality of life. Never forget, misery loves company.
  • olivetree_
    olivetree_ Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    omg, yes. I learned very quickly that I can't talk about being healthy or about calories with my friends.
  • classycouture
    classycouture Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Oh well. I smile and nod while they all eat the catered lunches and slowly blow up.

Hahaha. Same thing at my work. Every morning there are donuts, every lunch there are pizza boxes, chinese food containers, McDonald's. They make fun of my tuna on whole wheat that I brought from home, and then complain about how they've gained 30/40 pounds in the past 6 months. Hmm.. I wonder whyyy.
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    ah yes.... at every family function now and Im about to walk back into it this week. If I dont eat the bad stuff I get teased about how good it all tastes and how much Im missing. If I do have any of the bad stuff - I hear about how bad it is to even have a little. Im damned either way!

I do somewhat like that everyone draws attention to it though. it keeps me motivated knowing theyre watching what Im eating. And I know that all the jokes about how "thin" Ive gotten means they notice. Those are all good things.
  • Namaste1983
    Namaste1983 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I'M KNOWN AS THE FOODIE
    ALSO HAVE THE NICKNAME SQURREL BECAUSE I GO THROUGH EVERYONES PANTRY AND NIBBLE
    THE THINNEST PEOPLE I'VE MET SEEM TO ALWAYS BE EATING AND THEY EAT SMALL CLEAN MEALS OFTEN. A HANDFUL OF NUTS, SOME VEGGIES AND HUMMUS ETC.
    AT FIRST THEY THOUGHT I WAS CRAZY
    NOW THEY THINK I'M A GENIUS
    IT'S FUNNY HOW LIFE WORKS WHEN YOU PREPARE FOR IT AND MAKE DAILY CHOICES THAT LEAD TO SUCCESS :)
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Yes. I chock it up to the "misery loves company" mentality people have.
  • xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    Oh boy i know alot of people who are like this with me! I eat alot of salad to help with my weightloss an there like 'sophia your like a ****in rabbit, your always eatin salad!!' and then i go on the wii everyday to do zumba, wii fit, just dance etc, and people are like 'blimey your always on the wii your soooo boring!!' this really upsets me when people say this to me (i take things to heart too easily), and this makes me feel bad about myself and i loose alot of self esteem and i go back to my old habbits =( but recently, im learning to ignore them and carry on with what im doing, at the end of the day its me that will look good in the long run, whilst there bursting out there clothes!
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    i think when you have someone in your family that is making changes for the better it makes those that are not have to look at themselves and realize what they NEED to do but wont due to whatever reasons. Its easier to put the focus on you then to have to look at themselves.
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    While I haven't been made fun of, I have been called obsessive... while looking at how many calories were in a serving of uncle ben's rice, seriously, WTF?

I know people who comment about not wanting to be calorie counters etc. My response, how can you loose weight if you don't know what you're eating?!?

I don't have a huge number of people who are supportive per se, but for some reason both my parents think I'm fine, always have (I just got into the healthy BMI range), been warned about eating disorders, etc.

Sheesh, I just want to be healthy!
  • arlo1028
    arlo1028 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    That's funny I've been though all of this! I just laugh about it & started being the same way towards them. Friends call me anorexic or gym junkie, "obsessive" etc etc, Both family and friends say my head is too big for my body now, that I shouldn't want to loose MORE weight. They don't realize about BMI, they go solemnly on "looks', which is by far what the meaning of "healthy" really is. One can be skinny and still be unhealthy. SMH, instead I tell them they should try it out, it will benefit them in the long run. Especially when they get older! I'm teaching myself how to be AND STAY healthy. For me it's not temporary, it's a long term decision. :happy:
  • gavini
    gavini Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    when it is family or work people it is toughest since you cant avoid them but if it is your friends then hate to say it but you need new friends. join a running club or some other fitness related group and you wont hear dumb comments like these any more and bonus, the other people there will motivate you just like your MFP friends do.

i tend to be a little snarky/sarcastic at times so if someone said something like - you are too skinny, or you shouldnt obsess about your food - i would respond something along the lines of...

"you are SO right, its a wonder why there arent more groups for people to help them gain weight and just let go of any hope of being healthy and happy. Sounds like a side business you could start, every fad has to start somewhere right?" or

"i feel really bad about it too, i promise not to watch the calories at your wake but i cant promise that i wont get a workout in that morning, that wouldnt be disrespectful would it?" or

"really, i should thank you guys, since you already have such a great headstart towards heart disease and such, doctors will have much more practice treating it should i ever start eating like you and need to spend my last days in a hospital bed being cut open. Its great you are looking out for me :)" or

"honestly, once i save up for that double wide plot at the cemetary, the wheels are coming off this train"

be creative
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Mostly from alcoholics complaining that I didn't want a third drink.
  • jadebvb92
    Options
    I get made fun of quite a bit from my family (they think i am too obsessive about my weight) and my friend (who misses her lazy best friend)
  • liz3marie
    liz3marie Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    my husband does, he says something about food, then says" o wait you cant, you have to be healthy" he dont mean anything by it, but he loves to eat fast food all the time, i would like to, but obviously it aint done me any good, thats why im here lol