A "no processed food" diet?

Options
So I have been toying with the idea of a generally no processed food diet for a while. But after having basically a yucky food hangover this morning I'm even more keen on the idea.

Has anyone else ever done this? I'm not going to commit to something long term because I don't want to quite half way through or something but just commit to about a weeks time minus thanksgiving.

Fruits, veggies, and meats but like no canned or processed anything.. no cheese even. Butter might happen.. but nothing too severe.

Anyway... I'm wondering what kind of outcome I can expect? If anyone would like to try this with me? What the worst and best parts might be?

Not even sure if this is a good idea or not lol

Replies

• BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    So I have been toying with the idea of a generally no processed food diet for a while. But after having basically a yucky food hangover this morning I'm even more keen on the idea.

Has anyone else ever done this? I'm not going to commit to something long term because I don't want to quite half way through or something but just commit to about a weeks time minus thanksgiving.

Fruits, veggies, and meats but like no canned or processed anything.. no cheese even. Butter might happen.. but nothing too severe.

Anyway... I'm wondering what kind of outcome I can expect? If anyone would like to try this with me? What the worst and best parts might be?

Not even sure if this is a good idea or not lol

You could easily shake up your own butter from heavy cream-- no colors, salts, etc. I am not sure how long it keeps, though.

I think it is a great idea! I think it will take some getting used to, and I personally could never give up my overprocessed soy bacon and veggie burgers, but cheers to you!
  • Katefab26
    Options
    It is a good idea!!! I had to switch to a no processed foods diet because I have problems with IBS, but I'm glad I did anyway! Your body is able to digest the foods much more easily and I feel much better personally. If you want to add me, my diary is open to my friends so you can see what I generally eat.
  • DKBelle
    DKBelle Posts: 585
    Options
    I am cooking healthy eating smaller portions and loosing weight :)
    Check out this site:
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cooking-ideasHomemade-Healthy-Foods/179121125503371
  • applebobbrush
    applebobbrush Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    There is a great website called 100 days of real food, google it. She does challenges on 10 day with no processed foods and doing a low budget challenge. She has some awesome recipes on there that my family loves.
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    I've been doing something very similar, and I highly recommend it. I lose weight much easier when i am eating whole, unprocessed, natural foods. I feel better, I don't have to eat as much because those foods are naturally more filling. I do still have processed stuff from time to time, such as soup, but I generally stay away from cheese except for on homemade pizza, and then in small amounts. I actually really LIKE eating this way, and I actually intend on eating this way forever :) I do try to be reasonable, there are days when its easier said than done, but as a general rule, I do keep my eating as "clean" as possible. Definitely give it a try!!
  • jellyfishjen
    jellyfishjen Posts: 1,787 Member
    Options
    I would like to try this with you. After the past few days of very poor eating didn't even log am too embrassed, and I used the excuse of stress for my food choices, and yet healthier food choices would have helped me with the stress.
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    There is a great website called 100 days of real food, google it. She does challenges on 10 day with no processed foods and doing a low budget challenge. She has some awesome recipes on there that my family loves.

I will check this out!thanks for sharing :wink:
  • curlyclo
    curlyclo Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    This is incredibly hard to do in the U.S. I lived in Chile for 3 months in 2010, and for the most part only ate what my host mother made. No processed foods whatsoever - she had never even tasted peanut butter. The results? I lost 20 lbs in 3 months and was healthier than ever. Zero bad side-effects.
  • romping
    romping Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I haven´t had process food in about 3 months and really feel great. I don´t really count cheese as processed so maybe I´m not totally on board. I live in South America and hit the open market for all my fruits, vegetables, meats and such. Typical day for me are eggs, cheese, bright colored vegetables, apples and strawberries only as fruit, meat, chicken, fish, pork, nuts, good oils, beans and lots of water. I do eat some whole grain bread and every now and then whole wheat pasta. I really like this food pyrimad that I try to follow.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://0.tqn.com/d/lowcarbdiets/1/0/V/2/-/-/lowcarbpyramid1.IG.jpg&imgrefurl=http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/whattoeat/ig/Low-Carb-Food-Pyramid/lowcarbpyramid1-IG.htm&h=750&w=784&sz=77&tbnid=hXyJXKbmcw_YyM:&tbnh=81&tbnw=85&zoom=1&docid=H5cTTPlgkG5k1M&hl=en&sa=X&ei=yinITuCsAdDtgge4--VH&sqi=2&ved=0CEgQ9QEwBA&dur=2194

Go for it and good luck!
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    You might want to read Dr. Joel Fuhrman's book, "Eat to Live"

If memory serves me, he recommends limiting processed foods (and even animal based foods) to like 10% of calories. His meal recommendations are heavy on veggies and beans.
  • Tori_356
    Tori_356 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I'd be interested in trying this, but some times it can be so easy to just grab a can of soup or something. i know, i know, no excuse, right? i'm gonna do some reading on this and see if i can find some decent meal plans.
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I try to make at least some of my food unprocessed. The amount varies from day to day, and I'm not sure I would ever really want to get to the point where I would totally refuse any of the processed foods I really like, but I think it's a great idea!

You might want to start with a short term goal, such as no processed food for a week and see how that goes.
  • juliesummers
    juliesummers Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I've essentially been doing this for over five years, with the exception of canned beans and the occasional wine.
  • daves160
    daves160 Posts: 600
    Options
    I have been eating mostly natural and organic foods for several months. The closest thing I eat to "processed" is yogurt and cheese. Which by the way is something you should consider NOT cutting from your diet.

I feel better than ever and I do not plan on going back to any processed foods. My blog has some really good foods on it if you care to look;

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/daves160/view/aw-nuts-and-meat-and-eggs-and-veggies-and-153264
  • Katefab26
    Options
    This is incredible hard to do in the U.S. I lived in Chile for 3 months in 2010, and for the most part only ate what my host mother made. No processed foods whatsoever - she had never even tasted peanut butter. The results? I lost 20 lbs in 3 months and was healthier than ever. Zero bad side-effects.

It's not as hard as you might think. I generally only shop the outside of the grocery store and avoid the aisles that contain processed foods. It's definitely been good for me!!
  • McHeather
    McHeather Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Check out Jillian Micheals Master Your Metabolism book. It explains the reasons why you shouldn't have the processed stuff. It tells what the chemicals and preservatives do to you physically and emotionally. She explains what not to eat and the 10 power foods you should eat. Clean Eating Magazine is great too - they have a website to check out. I try to eat clean for the most part but there's some things I break down and buy packaged. Like perogies - they're my treat dinner and I just havent gotten around to making it from scratch. I make granola bars, soups, graham cookies all from scratch because I don't want my family consuming all the junk. Someone had asked me for my list of don't eats and I posted it in my blog, you could check it out. I know it makes me feel better to be limiting the preservatives. I highly recommend it.
  • tonyavanwinkle2
    tonyavanwinkle2 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have been trying this. What I can say about it is:

1. Baby steps. When you run out of something that is overly processed, replace it with something less processed, whole, or natural. Don't try to replace everything in your kitchen all at once - it's way too overwhelming! Plus, there will be some stuff you just don't like. You'll need to find what works for you. What you are willing to do, give up or gain, and spend more time preparing. No processed foods can equal more time in the kitchen, but you can find ways to manage that.

2. READ everything on the topic. You don't have to agree with it all. Apply what you believe and can handle to your lifestyle.

3. READ all lables. My friends tell me try to get less than 10-5 ingredients on the ingredients list.

4. Eating Cleaning magazine.

5. Freezer cooking.

You will probably get an OVERLOAD of information, but like I said BABY steps. I'm still trying to get the hang of it myself :) I figure as long as I'm progressing then I'm getting somewhere. I also feel better and fuller longer. :)
  • julie204
    julie204 Posts: 130
    Options
    hi a friend of mine cut out processed foods and junk and lost 5 stone took her a year she ate loads of vegatables home made soup pasta jacket potatoes cous cous meat or qourn mince and sausages lentils and beans e ggs she did havesome days when she ate chocolate cakes etc but she made sure she exercice a lot too gym/ swimming / cycling / jogging hope it works for you i know the first 3 months she was 100 per cent on it thats when she lost about 4 to 5 pounds a week then it went to 2pounds a week at a steady loss
  • RachelSRoach1
    RachelSRoach1 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I lived this way unofficially in the summer and felt SO GOOD. I miss feeling that good so as soon as the semester ends I will be back to the gym and I will try to take my eating back. I really really like skinny food.com or whatever it is. Google skinny gina or skinny food. Most of that is unprocessed yummy stuff so when I say butter I'm totally using her apple butter recipe etc... Anyway I'm glad to hear that so many have done this and kept doing it! I'm getting ready to go to the store with the kiddo to pick up the groceries needed to do this for the next 7 days minus Thanksgiving.

Goal: 1 week (minus holiday lol)