A "no processed food" diet?

Options

Replies

• mrsgroove
    Options
    My husband and I have really made the move to home made foods and we are loving it. He has lost 58 lbs and I haven't weighed in about two weeks but offically I'm down 25lbs but probably more than that now. Our problem is that our kids don't want to try to the new foods. Anyone have any thoughts on helping the 11 year old and 3 year old kick the processed food habit. I know it's our fault that they like those foods but we are trying to bring healthy choices into the house and I don't want to battle them. Would love some advice. Thanks.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    hmm I guess I don't see how cheese and butter are "processed foods"? As long as it's not Kraft fat free with 100 ingredients. Real cheese is good and nutritious, and nothing's wrong with a little butter.
    I generally shop around the outside of the supermarket, this is the best way to stay processed free..
  • patricia184
    patricia184 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great idea. I'm interested
  • curlyclo
    curlyclo Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    This is incredible hard to do in the U.S. I lived in Chile for 3 months in 2010, and for the most part only ate what my host mother made. No processed foods whatsoever - she had never even tasted peanut butter. The results? I lost 20 lbs in 3 months and was healthier than ever. Zero bad side-effects.

It's not as hard as you might think. I generally only shop the outside of the grocery store and avoid the aisles that contain processed foods. It's definitely been good for me!!

It is doable for sure and much easier if you educate yourself about what to look for. It is still tricky though because to the untrained eye many things that seem good aren't. In Chile it was much easier for me because those things weren't even sold in most stores.
  • Xtina_Beba
    Options
    So I have been toying with the idea of a generally no processed food diet for a while. But after having basically a yucky food hangover this morning I'm even more keen on the idea.

Has anyone else ever done this? I'm not going to commit to something long term because I don't want to quite half way through or something but just commit to about a weeks time minus thanksgiving.

Fruits, veggies, and meats but like no canned or processed anything.. no cheese even. Butter might happen.. but nothing too severe.

Anyway... I'm wondering what kind of outcome I can expect? If anyone would like to try this with me? What the worst and best parts might be?

Not even sure if this is a good idea or not lol

I've been and currently still eating non-processed foods and the results are phenomenal. I'm dropping the weight, my energy levels have increased, my skin has vitality, hair is thick and shiny and I'm just a happier person in general.
    I would suggest baby steps; ease your way into it.
  • RachelSRoach1
    RachelSRoach1 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    So I have been toying with the idea of a generally no processed food diet for a while. But after having basically a yucky food hangover this morning I'm even more keen on the idea.

Has anyone else ever done this? I'm not going to commit to something long term because I don't want to quite half way through or something but just commit to about a weeks time minus thanksgiving.

Fruits, veggies, and meats but like no canned or processed anything.. no cheese even. Butter might happen.. but nothing too severe.

Anyway... I'm wondering what kind of outcome I can expect? If anyone would like to try this with me? What the worst and best parts might be?

I've been and currently still eating non-processed foods and the results are phenomenal. I'm dropping the weight, my energy levels have increased, my skin has vitality, hair is thick and shiny and I'm just a happier person in general.
    I would suggest baby steps; ease your way into it.

The way I ease myself into it is to have the goal of about a week... then at the end of the week if all goes well I add another.. then another.. etc. One week at a time lol
  • blueimp
    blueimp Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I've been eating very largely unprocessed food for nearly a year. I now shop at farmers' markets for meat, eggs and veggies (pastured and or pasture finished meats thus avoiding feed lot/factory farm contaminents, hormones, antibiotics and corn). I'm a big supporter of Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) too; it's nice to know your farmer :-)
    Because I work full time and have a pretty long commute, it is the prep time that has been challenging to me.
    I actually enjoy eating this way. I have had some huge weight losses, but for the most part its been slow and steady.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    This is incredibly hard to do in the U.S. I lived in Chile for 3 months in 2010, and for the most part only ate what my host mother made. No processed foods whatsoever - she had never even tasted peanut butter. The results? I lost 20 lbs in 3 months and was healthier than ever. Zero bad side-effects.

Peanut butter's actually very easy to make, assuming you have access to peanuts and something to grind them up with.
  • mlh612
    mlh612 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    This is something our family is starting to try. Getting rid of processed foods and going natural... I have been getting a lot of ideas and recipes from one of our local blogs. If you get the time, definitely check it out - they did a 100 real food day challenge with their 2 kids. http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/

Best of Luck!
  • mlh612
    mlh612 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    There is a great website called 100 days of real food, google it. She does challenges on 10 day with no processed foods and doing a low budget challenge. She has some awesome recipes on there that my family loves.

I agree, great website and lots of info!!!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I try to avoid *most* processed foods. But my definition of processed means it has weird ingredients. Cheese is basically just milk and salt, so while it's technically "processed" (anything that combines ingredients to make something else is "processed"), it's still directly from its original source.

I rarely eat things like protein bars or snack cakes, etc. I feel pretty good eating that way, but I do have treats every once in a while. I go for close to perfect, but not perfectly perfect.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    It's the best "diet" change you can make. SO many more nutrients, nothing blocking your body from absorbing them. There are some theories that suggest that fillers, additives, preservatives, artificial coloring, are all viewed by your body as pathogens so your body spends an incredible amount of effort trying to rid them from your system. This leaves less opportunity for the nutrients to be absorbed, converted and used, and it weakens your immune system.

I tried everything to lose a stubborn 10 lbs and when I finally decided to eat "clean" the weight literally fell off and I haven't struggled with it since. I have more energy and just a more positive outlook on life.

Honestly the hardest thing for me to give up was lunch meat - go figure. But when you get used to making sandwiches with leftover "real" meat or other things like hummus and veggies, it didn't seem bad at all. The benefits totally outweigh (no pun intended) the extra time/effort involved.
  • Namaste1983
    Namaste1983 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I AVOID PROCESSED FOODS BUT SOMETIMES YOU HAVE TO JUST EAT WHAT IS AVAILABLE TO YOU. I HAVE HAD A MAJOR INCREASE IN MY OVERALL HEALTH (CAN'T REMEMBER THE LAST TIME I WAS SICK) BLOOD WORK CAN BACK IN OPTIMAL HEALTH. IT WAS THE BEST CHOICE I HAVE EVER MADE AND I HAVE LOST 178 POUNDS SINCE SWITCHING TO WHOLE GRAIN IN THE LAST 2 1/2 YEARS. MY APPROACH TO EATING HAS BECOME 70%CLEAN 30% DIRTY. EASE INTO IT. FIND WAYS TO ADD WHOLE GRAIN PASTA, BROWN RICE ETC. SOON YOUR TASTEBUDS WILL CHANGE AND YOU WILL LOVE IT. I CAN'T EVEN FATHOM EATING THE WAY I USED TO. I USED THE ABS DIET AS MY FIRST "DIET" FOOD PLAN. THEN I SWITCHED TO GLUTEN FREE ONCE I FOUND OUT I HAD THYROID ISSUES AND NOW I AM MOSTLY VEGETARIAN. I EAT MEAT WHEN I CRAVE IT BUT I LOVE HOW MY BODY FEELS WHEN I EAT VEGGIES AND FRUIT. I SUGGEST CHECKOUT OUT SOME INFO ON HOW TO TRANSITION SMOOTHLY INTO IT SO YOU AREN'T OVERWHELMED AT ONCE. NUTRITION ACTION IS AN EXCELLENT NEWSLETTER (NO ADS, SCIENCE BASED, NO BIASED VIEWS) WHOLE LIVING HAS LOTS OF IDEAS AS WELL AS FOOD DOCUMENTARIES (SOME HAS A MOTIVE SO JUST GO WITH WHAT FEELS RIGHT FOR YOU) FOOD MATTERS WAS WONDERFUL. THE MORE YOU KNOW, THE MORE INFORMED YOUR CHOICES ARE AND YOU CAN MAKE THE BEST DECISION FOR YOUR BODY.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I'd be interested in trying this, but some times it can be so easy to just grab a can of soup or something. i know, i know, no excuse, right? i'm gonna do some reading on this and see if i can find some decent meal plans.

When my hubby was deployed I would make at least 1 batch of soup or chili or something in the crock pot (just throw in some broth, beans, veggies, whatever) and then freeze it so I had a quick meal whenever I needed it. :wink: If you don't have a crock pot a large pot on the stove works just as well.
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I am gradually (some days more than others) trying to move away from processed foods. I think it's a great idea -- it's just that I still crave some things that are processed foods, and they are everywhere -- especially this time of year when everyone is so busy and don't have as much time to cook from scratch.

I try to cook my own food as much as possible, and I do use real organic cheese and butter, as after getting away from the processed version of those foods, they no longer taste good to me.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Before commenting on whether or not it's a good idea, I think the important question is.... what is your goal with this new eating habit?

What are you trying to get out of this decision to avoid processed foods?
  • drunknpoetry
    Options
    I have been doing it for the last couple of months. I found that there are so many amazing recipes out there that use fruits and vegetables only, it is amazing. Also see if there is something in your area like bountifulbaskets.org or any other local market. I live in a rural area, so I have to buy 99% of my groceries at a grocery store, but I try to focus on as little processed food as possible.

I think the closest I get is my veggie burgers and other soy products. But that is a personal choice to cut back on meat.
  • breakingthecycle
    breakingthecycle Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I am seriously considering a low processed foods diet. Like someone said its hard to do.

Good luck with your goals. :-)
  • millionsofpeaches
    Options
    I believe this would not be a diet... Rather, you are eliminating the unnatural stuff that our bodies don't need.
  • diaryoffatdad
    diaryoffatdad Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    this is probably the single best thing you could do for yourself. if you are taking whole foods and making your own meals then you are doing great. there are so many health benefits. It is hard though, there is a lot of processed foods in our diet. I am working towards this as a long term forever type of lifestyle. what I have been doing is taking meals we usually have that include processed stuff and boxes, and have been researching how to make something similar with my own whole food ingredients. for example we love tacos, have them almost every week. so last week i made my own seasoning rather than the packet and saved myself a ton of sodium, and we had taco salad, rather than tacos, so no shells. it was great. I'm going to make my own salsa and pasta sauce, i make my own pancakes, i even want to make my own bread. but its a slow process. I am starting by removing one boxed meal at a time, soon we wont have chicken fingers and fries in the freezer, and no fish sticks, my goal is that in a year or two my freezer is stocked with foods made by me and we have eliminated processed foods from our house.

it is a great way to raise your children, make sure you include them and teach them.