Diet coke, I will drink it if I want to.

Options
I just wanted to rant about diet coke and this seemed like the appropriate place to do it. There has not been enough research to conclude that the artificial sweeteners can cause cancer or anything like that. Just because those sweeteners can make a person crave more sugar and end up gaining more weight in the long run from over indulging in sweets, does not mean that I am going to go into my kitchen and eat 12 spoonfuls of sugar everytime I have a diet coke. My teeth are fine and my sodium intake is fine as well.
I work out, I eat what I want in moderation, and I will enjoy a diet coke whenever I please.

Not trying to start any arguments it's just been bugging me that so many people on this website bash on diet soda. Yes water is better no doubt about it, but if you already drink enough of that why is it so wrong to have a nice, cold, refreshing, bubbly, little can of diet coke?

Replies

• nikki91950
    Options
    I just wanted to rant about diet coke and this seemed like the appropriate place to do it. There has not been enough research to conclude that the artificial sweeteners can cause cancer or anything like that. Just because those sweeteners can make a person crave more sugar and end up gaining more weight in the long run from over indulging in sweets, does not mean that I am going to go into my kitchen and eat 12 spoonfuls of sugar everytime I have a diet coke. My teeth are fine and my sodium intake is fine as well.
    I work out, I eat what I want in moderation, and I will enjoy a diet coke whenever I please.

Not trying to start any arguments it's just been bugging me that so many people on this website bash on diet soda. Yes water is better no doubt about it, but if you already drink enough of that why is it so wrong to have a nice, cold, refreshing, bubbly, little can of diet coke?

yes.

amen.

*biggest hugs ever*
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    You are more than welcome to. Most of us on here understand that DC is just fine in moderation just as everything else is.

For me, it caused all kinds of gastro issues, so I had to quit, but all power to you.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    You go! While you rant about diet coke, I'll share my sodium rant. :-) I'm going to eat all the salt I want. It never makes me retain water and my blood pressure is very low. I also sweat like a fiend when I work out. My doctor actually asked if I was getting ENOUGH salt.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options

Nicely put! :D

So many scaremongers on here...
  • derbylea
    Options
    ITA!!!! Drinking a diet soda right now...
  • twogungal
    Options
    Amen! Diet Coke is not the enemy. I'm enjoying right now, as a matter of fact. As long as you're not dehydrated, or relying on it as your only source of hydration, it's not really a big deal. I've gotten the thumbs up from my doctor, and will disregard what anyone else has to say about my favorite sody-pop.
  • leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Diet coke is FINE. Just drink water too.
  • kimberg75
    kimberg75 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Agreed! I am drinking the new Dr. Pepper Ten right now....only 10 calories and SO good!!! :smile:
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    I raise my 20 oz Diet Dr Pepper to you! :drinker:
  • kykykenna
    kykykenna Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I drink a Diet Pepsi Max EVERY SINGLE MORNING when I wake up. First thing I do....lol........have that one, and 99% of the time it is the only one I have in a day. Not giving it up. Period. :bigsmile:
  • twogungal
    Options
    Oooh...the vanilla coke zeros are good too!
  • martymum
    martymum Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    well said...I drink diet vimto nearly every day and I have never run off and eaten sugar!!!

martyxx
  • CassOfAllTrades
    CassOfAllTrades Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I think for me personally, diet soda helps me eat LESS sugar. If I'm craving something sweet I drink a soda and I'm good. I don't need a soda AND a candy bar- that would just be too much.
  • ailiemarks
    Options
    Woop! This may be the best thing I've ever read on MFP. Definitely top 5.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Pizza delivery guy didn't bring my diet coke last night. It ruined my night.
  • Alka97
    Alka97 Posts: 74
    Options
    i love diet coke, im trying to not drink as much of it, mainly i have like 3 in a week sometimes less, but i have like powerade zero everytime i go to the gym, it keeps me away from dehadrating :)
  • metzlerjn
    metzlerjn Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I just want to say, I love you all :wink: You made my day.
    To Elizabeth_C34, I'm sorry about your negative relationship with diet soda and what it did to you.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    It's important to counteract all the negativity about these drinks with posts like this. Thanks!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    I'll protest. Diet Pepsi is better.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong at all and agree... everything in moderation!