Diet coke, I will drink it if I want to.

Options

Replies

• Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I just want to say, I love you all :wink: You made my day.
    To Elizabeth_C34, I'm sorry about your negative relationship with diet soda and what it did to you.

It's alright. My tummy is sensitive, so it's not something universal for everyone. Just like dairy screws with some people but most people are fine with it, DC does for me.
  • jogdog
    jogdog Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm opening up a can of diet coke right now, raising it up, and saying cheers to you and all the other diet coke drinkers commenting on your thread! Bottom's up!
  • RodM57
    Options
    I just wanted to rant about diet coke and this seemed like the appropriate place to do it. There has not been enough research to conclude that the artificial sweeteners can cause cancer or anything like that. Just because those sweeteners can make a person crave more sugar and end up gaining more weight in the long run from over indulging in sweets, does not mean that I am going to go into my kitchen and eat 12 spoonfuls of sugar everytime I have a diet coke. My teeth are fine and my sodium intake is fine as well.
    I work out, I eat what I want in moderation, and I will enjoy a diet coke whenever I please.

Not trying to start any arguments it's just been bugging me that so many people on this website bash on diet soda. Yes water is better no doubt about it, but if you already drink enough of that why is it so wrong to have a nice, cold, refreshing, bubbly, little can of diet coke?

Well here's my 2 cents on the subject.............

1. Sugar addiction
    Diet sodas boast of having no sugar at all, and still having the same sweet taste. That’s because diet sodas contain a chemical ingredient called Aspartame. This is the same chemical make-up of consumer sweeteners such as NutraSweet and Equal. Basically, Aspartame makes your brain think that what you’re eating is sweet. This triggers your body to start craving for sweet things. So, aside from being unable to cut down on your soda intake, you might find yourself constantly reaching for that cupcake or frequently craving carbohydrates.

2. Dehydration
    Diet soda does not cause dehydration, but studies show that those who reach for diet sodas tend to use that as replacement for water. Water is the best hydrator, especially for those who have a strict workout regimen. So even if you’ve taken on a fit and healthy lifestyle, but your diet is composed of a lot of diet soda, chances are your weight-loss might come to a standstill. Without proper hydration your fitness goal may remain unattainable.

3. Caffeine Effects
    You may be free from fattening sugars, but you’re not free from the negative effects of caffeine. Caffeine is a diuretic, so you may think that you’re quenching your thirst with the soda, when in fact you’re actually losing more fluids. Caffeine is also a highly addictive substance that has been linked to insomnia, anxiety disorders and fatigue.

4. Aspartame Risks
    Aspartame, the sweetener found in diet sodas, is considered by the US Food and Drug Administration to be safe for consumption. However, they do acknowledge that this artificial sweetener has been linked to a number of side effects, such as dizziness, migraines, memory loss, diarrhea and mood swings. Furthermore, studies have shown that rodents exposed to large amounts of aspartame have developed brain tumors and lymphoma. There is no hard medical evidence that aspartame causes cancer and illness, but it remains controversial because of the potential risks involved.

5. Weight Gain
    Studies have shown that diet soda can actually cause weight gain. In laboratory tests, animals that consumed sweeteners steadily increased their daily calorie intake, thus gaining weight. In another study conducted among diet soda drinkers, 48% of them showed an increase in metabolic syndrome – leading to significant weight gain. Though there is no hard evidence to support the fact, the studies show a correlation between packing on more pounds and chugging down more diet soda and artificial sweeteners.
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I love it, but do worry a bit about the caffeine (along with my black coffee addiction ;-)) perhaps I should wash down a calcium tablet with it to counter the effects ;-) lol
  • metzlerjn
    metzlerjn Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I think we need to end this. All of us diet soda drinkers need to unite, not dispute. Cans up to all you diet coke, pepsi, dr. pepper, diet (insert favorite diet soda) drinkers worldwide!
  • MrsSpinks
    MrsSpinks Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Diet Cherry Coke is my obsession, stops me shoving actual food in my mouth when I'm not hungry!
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Not a diet soda fan, but I DO drink Crystal Light (diet) Green Tea with Raspberry or Peach flavors.

For soda, I will budget my calories enough to allow me to drink a REAL Coke with REAL sugar. Not several a day like I used to, heck maybe not even one every day. But 3-4 times a week I truly enjoy it. Imported from Mexico in the glass bottle and not made with corn syrup. Yes it tastes different...lighter and more refreshing.
  • Suziq2you
    Suziq2you Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Saluting you with my diet Dr. Pepper!
  • quixoticmantis
    quixoticmantis Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Drinkin' me a Diet Coke right now! Everything in moderation :)

I drink 8 or more glasses of water everyday, but I start every morning with a Diet Coke. No plans to stop any time soon, either :drinker:
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    Oooh...the vanilla coke zeros are good too!
    I prefer coke zero!
  • shivaslives
    shivaslives Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    All things in moderation
  • klmnumbers
    klmnumbers Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I'm here to support your diet coke habit. I have one myself. I periodically give it up and try to drink just water, but sometimes water is just so unsubstantial, and I wanna drink fizzies. I just keep watching my caloric intake and try to drink water, too.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I'll have regular Coke. Aspartame tastes like @ss to me. And there ARE studies on aspartame, but if you love what you're drinking, I wouldn't read them.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    3. Caffeine Effects
    You may be free from fattening sugars, but you’re not free from the negative effects of caffeine. Caffeine is a diuretic, so you may think that you’re quenching your thirst with the soda, when in fact you’re actually losing more fluids. Caffeine is also a highly addictive substance that has been linked to insomnia, anxiety disorders and fatigue.

So many people just spout the word diuretic as a reason, without actually understanding what "diuretic" means.

di·u·ret·ic (d-rtk)
    adj.
    Tending to increase the discharge of urine.
    n.
    A substance or drug that tends to increase the discharge of urine.

Neat water is also a diuretic. The diuretic effect of caffeine is far, far outweighed by the actual water in the soda. Also, regular consumers of caffeinated beverages will build up a tolerance to said effect, eventually reaching the point where caffeinated drinks provide practically the same amount of hydration as a cup of neat water will.

http://www.divinecaroline.com/22178/46361-coffee-makes-dehydrated-say-what

http://worldofcaffeine.com/2011/06/14/caffeine-does-not-dehydrate/

http://advance.uconn.edu/2002/020722/02072207.htm

http://nomoredirtylooks.com/2011/04/surprise-caffeinated-tea-does-not-dehydrate-you/

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/04/health/nutrition/04real.html

http://www.sharecare.com/question/does-caffeine-dehydrate-not

http://www.artofdrink.com/2009/12/caffeine-in-coffee-does-not-increase-dehydration-during-hangovers.php

http://www.caring4cancer.com/go/cancer/nutrition/questions/do-caffeinated-beverages-cause-dehydration.htm

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=5552790&page=1#.TrQWc0O5_oo
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I'll have regular Coke. Aspartame tastes like @ss to me. And there ARE studies on aspartame, but if you love what you're drinking, I wouldn't read them.

Show me one that PROVES it is harmful when taking in reasonable doses?

I don't mean "may", "might", "maybe" etc. Show actual facts.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I used to drink diet Coke by the gallon every day. It used to seem so refreshing to me. I'm not here to try to persuade/dissuade anyone about anything. Drink away! Just so you know, I stopped drinking it, and totally lost my taste for it. Can't even imagine that I liked it once. So tastes change sometimes. But, if you like it, enjoy!
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna go get me a diet mt. dew right now. Mmmmm.
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    HeHe... I laughed at the title of your post. It was so sassy "I will drink it if I want to'.... hmm, so there!

I hate diet drinks because of the taste. But everyone has to have their indulgences, so go ahead.... just remember that moderation is key.
  • yoshi91610
    yoshi91610 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I don't drink diet cause I hate the taste (although coke zero is nice if I want something fizzy and not enough cals to cover regular) But I don't get why everyone is so obsessed about what other people eat/drink? It's not going to do any harm to me how much diet/regular soda you drink. So I just don't understand why people are so pushy about it.
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options

Show me one that PROVES it is harmful when taking in reasonable doses?

I don't mean "may", "might", "maybe" etc. Show actual facts.

You can research this just as easily as anyone else. Why do you have to be "shown"? It has been shown to cause problems in lab rats. If you want to read the literature, then go ahead and find it yourself. Why should anyone hold your hand and "show" it to you? Likewise, if you don't believe it, go find your own research that disproves it.