MUSHROOMS

Options
2»

Replies

• hollykmckinney
    Options
    I only eat the fresh ones also. I love them sauteed in a pan with a tiny bit of olive oil and a lil salt and pepper. Sometimes, I add a splash of white wine and a little garlic (usually with chicken, pork or seafood). If I am doing red emat sometimes I will add a lil red wine. You can also bulk them up and get a big boost of nutrients by wilting spinach into them too. Tjis is especially good with the white wine and garlic.
  • LethaSue
    LethaSue Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Fresh are the best and the only as far as I am concerned. Not only for the flavor and texture, but because the FDA allows a certain percentage of maggots in canned mushrooms.
  • dreamshadows
    dreamshadows Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Fresh, all the way. Canned just don't have the same flavor.

Raw, or cooked until they just begin to soften. Seasoned with teriyaki or garlic
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    No, I'm not keeping in a brown paper bag. Does that help? Do you all buy them in bulk or in the plastic cartons with the plastic wrap, like Walmart sells?
  • snowblizz
    Options
    ITS GOOD TO BOIL THEM WITH A PINCH OF SALT AND PEPPER AND SAUTE THEM WITH LOW FAT CREAM ITS DELISH
  • snowblizz
    Options
    SOUNDS GOOD I WILL LOOK FORWARD
  • snowblizz
    Options
    YOUR MAKING ME HUNGRY:tongue:
  • Kasya007
    Kasya007 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Crzy, I personally buy them in bulk from the grocery store, where they provide you with a brown paper bag to store them in. On the rare occasion that they're out of bulk, (or if they look like they're on their way out), I will pick up a pre-packaged carton & then transfer them to a paper bag for storage.

The problem with keeping them in plastic (or non-porous) containers for storage is that moisture will speed up the natural process of decay. So, by keeping them in a brown paper bag, the excess moisture from the mushrooms will seep into the paper & slowly evaporate, where as with plastic, it will trap the moisture in the package with the mushrooms, leaving that moisture nowhere to go. Then gasses are formed, decay is sped up & the cycle of life continues. :P

Simply put, it wicks moisture away & helps them to breathe.