Dog Lovers??? I need some Help!!

Options
ckdub428
ckdub428 Posts: 453 Member
Ok quick back story:

We rescued Brutus in April, the Vet said at that time he was about a year old. He was wonderfully house trained and only had I think 2 accidents in the past 6 months and one was because he had a stomach virus and couldn't help it.

Move to the past month or so and Brutus has been sleeping in the living room now for about 2-3 months. Well in the last 6 weeks he has gone potty in the middle of the night without so much as a whine or whimper. Just wakes up and goes I am imagining.

What can we do other than have him sleep in his crate again to keep from having to wake up to a mess!!!???

I understand this is completely not weight-loss related at all, but if you have any suggestions we would all appreciate it!!!

Replies

• naturegirl84
    Options
    I have found that putting my dogs food and water bowl up 2 hours before bedtime really helps, and of course make sure your dog is let out right before you go to sleep. That is what has worked for me!
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Take away food and water at around 7PM? Also before going to bed take him for walk for potty.
  • dogwalk
    dogwalk Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Try feeding him/her earlier i the day,with a walk in the afternoon ,no foods or water aftre 7pm,Or set the alarm to get up and take him/her,ot get a dog door ,Or potty pads,I hope one of these will Help.:yawn:
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Check to make sure that he doesn't have any health issues. If he was not messing in his crate, I'd start crating him again.

Make sure he's gone out before bed, and take away his food and water a couple of hours before bed time.
  • stroken96
    stroken96 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Try those pee pads. I have a chihuahua she use's pee pads.
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with crating? A crate should not be viewed as a place for punishment for your dog but more of their home. My dog goes to her crate on her own when she's tired and it's her little sanctuary.
    She sleeps there every night.
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    You might need to start getting up a few hours into the night and take him out, just to reinforce that outside is where he goes potty. Yes, it may not do anything to reinforce holding it all night, but first things first, by priority. Also there's nothing wrong with him sleeping in the crate. This also reinforces him having a place, as well as many other benefits.
  • Jess22542
    Options
    How closely before bed are you walking him? I take my pup out right before I head to bed and walk him again first thing when I get up. So if you aren't doing that, I would recommend it. That way you know he has been able to use the restroom right before he goes to sleep. If that doesn't' work, pick his water bowl up a couple of hours before bed too. If you're still having issues after that, I'd ask your vet for suggestions.
  • SunshineAndLove
    SunshineAndLove Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Don't use pee pads! I would start crating him again, he will soon learn/remember not to do it. Also like others have said let him out before you go to bed, I don't think I agree with taking his water up, a dog needs water and it's unfair to expect him to go all night without it.

Crating him for a few weeks should soon sort the problem out.

Good luck!
  • Laura_Ivy
    Laura_Ivy Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Does he like his crate? My dog loves her so if it isn't a bother to him then I'd just put him back in it or take up his water and make sure he goes pee before bed. Good luck!
  • aaleigha1
    aaleigha1 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    the first step is like the others say to restrict fluids after about 7pm
    but also you much clean the toilet areas thoroughly
    cleaning them with cleaners and fresheners is not suffient
    you should use a biological washing powder or liquid that will break down the proteins so leaving no smell for the dog - dogs often go in the same place so you really need to take away the smell - not cover it up

also a quick health check at the vets if it continues in case its a kidney infection
  • ckdub428
    Options
    wow quick responses!!

We do walk him right before bed and that's why I was quite surprised when we woke up, but we have also been leaving his food and water out. We only put food out 2 times a day, but sometimes it takes him a while to finish his dinner so we have been leaving it out.

We'll start putting it away.
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    It seems like once a dog goes potty somewhere, they keep going at the same place. I would crate the dog at night. One of my dogs is crated during the night and actually sometimes "asks" by walking to the door of the room where the crate is, instead of hanging out in the living room with my husband and me.
  • emilydmac
    emilydmac Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with crating? A crate should not be viewed as a place for punishment for your dog but more of their home. My dog goes to her crate on her own when she's tired and it's her little sanctuary.

This- I have two big dogs (so crates are a must for us) and they love their crates, and are in them all the time by choice- we will often wonder where they are and look over and see them just hanging out in their crates chewing their bones. If you use a crate correctly, it is a nice place for them to go, and can help with the accidents- would you pee in your bed? no, and your dog wont mess in his either
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    My rottweiler Cooper gets his dinner at 5pm and goes for his last walk around 10pm. When does your pup eat/go out for a last walk?

Also, as many other posters have noted, if this keeps happening bring the little guy to the vet - just to be safe! :)
  • ckdub428
    Options

I don't think there is anything wrong with crating. I just liked having him sleep in the house where he can walk around since he is crated the whole work day. It is also in a different part of the house and I know he likes being in the main part of the hose better.
  • ckdub428
    Options
    the first step is like the others say to restrict fluids after about 7pm
    but also you much clean the toilet areas thoroughly
    cleaning them with cleaners and fresheners is not suffient
    you should use a biological washing powder or liquid that will break down the proteins so leaving no smell for the dog - dogs often go in the same place so you really need to take away the smell - not cover it up

also a quick health check at the vets if it continues in case its a kidney infection

Thanks!

We have wood floors and I have just been using my regular cleaner. My husband remarked this morning that he is going in the same spot each time.
  • SarahBrown1979
    SarahBrown1979 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    We also crate our Beagle, Howie get a Kong (PetSmart has them and they are awesome) and we fill it with some peanut butter and when he sees that he knows its bed time and quite time. And we pretty much have a routine down. He eats after we get home from work and before we go to bed we take him out to go potty and make sure he poops, then when he comes in he sees the Kong and goes right in the crate. Like others say, its his home and he knows when we go to bed or leave the house he's in the crate. We also keep a fav toy in there with him, a bed, and one of my fiancee's undershirts in there (as a comfort), Hope this helps!
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    If he's been perfect since April and he suddenly starts having accidents I would get him to a vet. Soon. Any time an animal's behavior changes suddenly it's a reason to check with a vet. It could be kidney issues or an infection.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    wow quick responses!!

We do walk him right before bed and that's why I was quite surprised when we woke up, but we have also been leaving his food and water out. We only put food out 2 times a day, but sometimes it takes him a while to finish his dinner so we have been leaving it out.

We'll start putting it away.

My dog is a grazer. I leave her food and water out all day. She might eat a little in the morning but she likes to eat at like 8 - 9 pm. I let her eat late because i know she can hold it and she will not go in the house and i take her out potty before bedtime. when she was a puppy up until she was 1 yr i took the food/water away at 7PM.