Dog Lovers??? I need some Help!!

Options
2»

Replies

• Maryfullofgrace
    Maryfullofgrace Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Is your dog trying to wake you at night to tell you he needs to go out? Has something changed in the house emotionally? My yellow dog had such episodes when we had a death in the family and we were all in mourning. Another consideration, some people are sound sleepers. My dog will plant a huge kiss right on my mouth to wake me up to let him out, which is rare but sometimes warranted. Some folks I know have "bell trained" their dogs with a bell that hangs on the door where they are usually let out to do their business. The dog will scratch at the door, ringing the bell.

A 1/2 mile walk before bed with adequate "sprinkle opportunities" usually will do the trick, and a leisurely 2 m.p.h. walk will be soothing for you too...

What breed is Brutus?
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Take him to the vet to rule out a UTI, or bladder or kidney infection, diabetes or lymes disease...
    All of these can cause frequent urination...

and then ask your vet, if all checks out ok, on how to preceed...

If he has never been crated, he will view it as punishment...
  • brandimacleod
    brandimacleod Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Momof3and3 is right. First step, get the vet to check for medical symtoms. Usually that is the problem and simple medications can correct the problem.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I find that my dogs have to redo the crate training every 4-6 months or so. Once one of them pees in a spot they'll keep going back to it, and then they'll expand to other parts of the house. Getting them back on schedule with the crate is the only way to stop the cycle.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    See or at least call the vet first.

My last 2, both boxers, slept in their kennel at night for probably 6 months or longer. They loved it we never had any accidents at night. They stayed in the kennels during the day up until about 6 months ago. Jake is 4 and Maggie is 3. I don't see any problems with kenneling. Both our boxers loved it; it was their "safe" place. Our Beagle hated it so we did not use it very long; but, then again, he is also very dramatic.

Good luck.
  • xhaller
    Options
    Try putting some hot water on your dog's food. It might eat it up faster and sooner. My little guy loves it!
  • CarrieJ85
    CarrieJ85 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Has anything changed in your lives or in your daily routines that would make him act out? It's strange that he would suddenly start doing that when it has never been an issue before.
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Definitely take him to the vet and have him checked for any UTI's, bladder infection, etc.

A dog doesn't just start messing in the house for no reason.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    All of my dogs have been crate trained - our boston loves his little house, i have it set up with a pillow, blanket & and blanket over the top so it's really dark. When it's cold and rainy (like yesterday) he runs right for his crate. Now when we're home I don't lock him in there, so he's free to come out as he pleases.

But if I'm going to be gone, I do lock him in there because he's a dumpster diver. LOL

Our staffordshire terrier mix was crate trained but she does have her own bed area, which is also dark and behind a couch so it has that "den" feel to it.

I would get your dog into the vet and also clean the areas where he "went" really well. You may want to consider moving his crate somewhere he can access it inside the house, and let him get in there with the door open.
  • ckdub428
    ckdub428 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    We haven't had any emotional changes in the house. I am thinking that the area hasn't been cleaned well and he is being drawn back to it. I think the first time it may have been a accident and then other two times he has still been awake when we went to bed so I think he's bored and walking around and smell the old piddle and then goes there again.

I will call his vet too, but I am thinking cleaning it with vinegar and some of the other suggestions will really help.

I wish we had a place for his crate other than the addition, but there is no room for it. I prop the door to the addition open so he can go out there, but he never does. He's such a people dog he wants to be in the middle of the action!!
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend Nature's Miracle for the spots. We had this issue with our puppy and then I bought the special version of this that deals with strong urine smell and he stopped peeing in the same spot. We also take him out before bed and limit his water after dinner. That said, he still does have to go sometimes super early in the am, but he's trained to whine and wake me up. Before that we started crating him until he got the message that he needed to indicate.

Good Luck!
  • lcnelson
    lcnelson Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I have 3 boxers and yours is just beautiful! I agree with an earlier post about getting up in the middle of the night for a quick potty run to see if that alleviates the accidents. Also going out right before bed could not hurt.

Good Luck!
  • khoran45
    khoran45 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hope Brutus is doing well!! Definately check with the vet. Rocco had some accidents and it was related to some kidney issue or UTI, and later in his life he just had a weak bladder.

Otherwise, not water after 7pm, potty break right before bed (make sure you watch that he goes, you know how those boxers can get distracted!)

Give him a big smootch for me!
  • yoshi91610
    yoshi91610 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with crating? A crate should not be viewed as a place for punishment for your dog but more of their home. My dog goes to her crate on her own when she's tired and it's her little sanctuary.
    She sleeps there every night.

That is how we potty trained our previous dog and also taught her to not get in the trash when we werent home. we would put her in there when we left and she would sleep with us at bedtime (but since thats were she slept she never went to the bathroom with us). During the day we would just leave the door to the crate open and when she wanted some peace and quiet she would head in there and chew on a bone or nap, she didn't feel like it was a punishment at all. Maybe your dog wants that kind of structure, or maybe something is changing around the house or in your families attitudes. My dog started chewing on trash again once I got pregnant, she also got very protective.