You take, WHAT??? Multi-Vitamins

Options

Replies

• maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    i take omega 3 and coQ10 to stave off migranes. and then i take a multivitamin and D3. all from Pro Caps Labs.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    My doctor pulled me off of mine. He said they are mostly useless and can interfere with prescription medicines.

Ditto.
  • LeBlackstone
    Options
    I like the One a Day Active Metabolism because it has caffeine in it! I mean, other reasons too, but that's pretty nifty. I take D3 because my mom who's a nurse said that most of her patients are deficient in this, and she is too. I figure it couldn't hurt to build up on that. I take L-lysine when I remember to prevent cold sores, and L-tyrosine when I can remember (and have an empty stomach) to help my mental clarity for attention. I used to take Hair Skin and Nails but haven't bothered to buy anymore this year. I love how it makes my nails stronger even though I use harsh nail polish remover every week to redo them.

L-lysine and L-tyrosine are amino acids. You might be able to just take some bcaa powder cheaper and easier. I never realized they provided help against cold sores and mental clarity.

Lysine and tyrosine are not BCAA's
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I used to take a multivitamin but since rhere have been several recent studies showing dangers (increased risks of certain diseases) with vitamin and mineral supplements so I quit taking it a while back. Now I take fish oil, vitamin D and have recently added a B supplement on my doctor's advice (because of my age).

This - I take fish oil, vitamin d, and calcium. These three supplements are only associated with positive outcomes.

Actually there was a study linking calcium supplements to increased risk of heart disease. It's not conclusive evidence but it's why I stopped taking calcium and just started tracking it to make sure I got enough, which is pretty easy.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Slightly unpleasant subject, but I'd really like to know! I was taking a combined multi-vitamin with iron, as I live with/cook for someone who won't eat red meat and doesn't like many leafy greens (I grew up in a very carnivorous household, so my body is used to a lot more iron in my diet), but found that I was becoming constipated. Have others had this problem with iron supplements?

It is a common side affect of iron supplements.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I don't take any and my doctor said that was a good idea since I eat such nutritious, well-balanced meals and snacks and get plenty of nutrients naturally. Also, as someone else noted, they can interfere with medications.
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Vitamin D
  • LeBlackstone
    Options
    I used to take a multivitamin but since rhere have been several recent studies showing dangers (increased risks of certain diseases) with vitamin and mineral supplements so I quit taking it a while back. Now I take fish oil, vitamin D and have recently added a B supplement on my doctor's advice (because of my age).

This - I take fish oil, vitamin d, and calcium. These three supplements are only associated with positive outcomes.

Actually there was a study linking calcium supplements to increased risk of heart disease. It's not conclusive evidence but it's why I stopped taking calcium and just started tracking it to make sure I got enough, which is pretty easy.

Correlation studies are useless.
  • casbar911
    casbar911 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's so I currently take : under Dr supervision

Kelp
    Pro omega 3
    magnesium
    selenium
    calcium
    vitamin d
    vitamin B12
    organic all natural womens daily
    5- HTP
    melatonin
    cranberry

split up at different meals- if you take too many at once they can absorb correctly.
  • bs1981
    bs1981 Posts: 36
    Options
    GNC Ultra Women's Active, Fish Oil,Vitamin D, and Psyllium tablets. Have an immune disorder though so I need an extra kick to avoid prescriptions.
  • bigfluffyjujubird
    Options
    a generic multi vit at breakfast plus echinacea through the winter, sambucol for the immune system and a squirt of anti cold stuff up my nose, i have a 1 year old and doing all this is making me vaguely less ick as she has every cold going on the planet! you have reminded me to take my cod liver oil and fish oils too!
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Slightly unpleasant subject, but I'd really like to know! I was taking a combined multi-vitamin with iron, as I live with/cook for someone who won't eat red meat and doesn't like many leafy greens (I grew up in a very carnivorous household, so my body is used to a lot more iron in my diet), but found that I was becoming constipated. Have others had this problem with iron supplements?

It is a common side affect of iron supplements.

Thank you - good to know!
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    My doctor pulled me off of mine. He said they are mostly useless and can interfere with prescription medicines.

I see many Doctors doing this because most people don't go out and purchase raw vitamins that are made from vegetable and fruit sources. They buy the cheap synthetics from Wal-Mart, GNC or their local drug store.

I take RAW vitamins sourced from vegetables and fruits, very high quality fish oil and a Vitamin D supplement along with tanning bed therapy so my body will produce Vitamin D on its own.
  • SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member
    Options

I see many Doctors doing this because most people don't go out and purchase raw vitamins that are made from vegetable and fruit sources. They buy the cheap synthetics from Wal-Mart, GNC or their local drug store.

I take RAW vitamins sourced from vegetables and fruits, very high quality fish oil and a Vitamin D supplement along with tanning bed therapy so my body will produce Vitamin D on its own.
    Your doctor recommends a tanning bed for you?

I'm a believer in the sun, but never tanning beds. Is there new research to indicate they're not as bad?
    Or do you just live in a climate that it's impossible to get sunlight, so it's worth the risk?
  • mikethom
    mikethom Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    In addition to my prescriptions every morning I take:
    1 multi-vitamin (I bounce around on these but usually go for the "Weight loss" or "Men's" formulations.)
    1 Cod Liver Oil capsule (Jamison's)
    1 Salmon Oil capsule (Jamison's)
    1 1000mg Vitamin D tablet (Jamison's)
    1 333mg Calcium + Vitamin D + Magnesium tablet (Jamison's)
    1 650mg Calcium tablet (Jamison's)
    2 tsp Psyllium husks
    1 B100 complex tablet (Jamison's slow release)

Also during the Winter I tend to take 1 Vitamin C tablet as well (Jamison's slow release)

If I'm traveling I substitute 6 Psyllium capsules for the 2 tsp Psyllium husks.

My doctors are all aware of these and none of them have raised any concerns, they are all also aware of my perscriptions.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

Your doctor recommends a tanning bed for you?

I'm a believer in the sun, but never tanning beds. Is there new research to indicate they're not as bad?
    Or do you just live in a climate that it's impossible to get sunlight, so it's worth the risk?

Here is what my Doctor pointed me to. I argued with her and him (one is my Naturopathic MD and the other Dr is my Metabolic Endocrinologist.). I was brainwashed to think that sun exposure was so bad that my Vitamin D3 levels are at a 4........That is very low to the point I can barely function.

I have been told for proper bodily functions and to rid myself of the aches, pains, depression and control my Diabetes better that I need to get my Vitamin D3 levels up higher than 60. Like I said, I am currently at a 4 and will have my levels rechecked at the first of the year.

And I forgot to mention that my health insurance pays for tanning bed membership up to $30.00 a month for the months of October - February.

The government, FDA and USDA lie to us so much that I no longer go by any of their guidelines.

http://www.naturalnews.com/032792_tanning_beds_vitamin_D.html

and

http://www.naturalnews.com/032996_sunscreen_cancer_risk.html
  • chelekaz
    chelekaz Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I take a woman's multi vitamin from Target. I also take 1 Vitamin D supplement per day. The area in the country that I live (NE PA) has a high Vit D deficiency ...
  • bcattoes
    Options
    The government, FDA and USDA lie to us so much that I no longer go by any of their guidelines.

The govt guidelines are not 100% correct but they also are not lies, and certainly not meant for people with disease. They are meant for the "average healthy American". Given the overall population of America and what that number means to the "average", all of the guidelines should be tempered with common sense.
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    On my doctor's advice

NatureMade Multi-vitamin for Her 50+ (though I just turned 39...)
    Canyon Ranch Bone Nutrients
    Canyon Ranch Omega 3/6
    Vitamin D (4000 IU/day)
    Slow Fe Iron Supplement
    Klaire Labs TherBiotic Complete Powder

Oh, and I portion them out every weekend in one of those "days of the week" pill containers so that they're there on my counter, which reminds me to take them every AM and PM. (Aside from the probiotic powder, or course, which goes in my breakfast smoothie).
  • StatutoryGrape
    Options
    I take a B-complex. My GP told me to try it to see if it would help with my metabolism and energy level. I feel a little better so far, but I've only been on it about a week. Time will tell. I used to take a regular One-A-Day women's multivitamin, but it didn't do a whole lot for me.