SPINACH!!!

Options

Replies

• janetb21
    janetb21 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Steam it and then put a little reduced fat cream cheese in it, let it melt, then stir around.
  • heatherterp
    Options
    Spinach Brownies.

Ingredients
    ½ cup organic whole wheat flour
    ½ cup almond flour
    1 cup organic raw sugar
    ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    ½ teaspoon baking powder
    ½ teaspoon salt
    ½ cup water
    ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
    1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    2 cups raw spinach
    ¼ cup dark chocolate chips
    Directions
    1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
    2. In a large bowl, stir together the flours, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
    3. In blender whip the water, olive oil, vanilla and spinach; mix until smooth.
    4. Fold wet ingredients into flour mixture until the mixture forms a uniform batter. Add chocolate chips.
    5. Spread evenly in a 9x13 inch baking pan.
    6. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes in the preheated oven, until the top is no longer shiny. Let cool for at least 10 minutes before cutting into squares.
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I would like to take this opporunity to remind everone of the following forum guideline:

1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.

It is fine to point out the search feature, as the poster may not be aware of its availability, and this needs to be done in a respectful manner. Arguing back and forth on this point is really hijacking this thread and taking away from the input of the other posters that are on topic.

If you feel someone is acting in a manner that is not in line with this forum guideline, please use the Report Post feature. Please do not call them out in the thread and debate the point as to whether it was appropriate to point out the Search feature. Let the mods review a post you think is inappropriate and we'll make a determination and take action, if necessary.

With Respect,
    _Sally_
    MFP Forum Moderator
  • KendaVSG
    KendaVSG Posts: 147
    Options
    Wow.. there are some super yummy sounding recipes and ideas on here! Thank you everyone for your responses, and thank you OP for asking!
  • SmartFunGorgeous
    SmartFunGorgeous Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • bexxgirl
    bexxgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I've just posted a thread with a quinoa and spinach fritter recipe. Really yum!
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    I made this and it was AMAZING!! I am not a fan of spinach, but this was super yummy!! I don't remember the calories, but I added all the calories together for all the ingredients, then divided it by how many shells it made. I think it was right around 100 cals/shell. I bought "light" ingredients when making this dish, and I believe the recipe was even on the side of the cottage cheese.

Shells stuffed with spinach, cheese, red pepper.

1 pkg frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
    1 container cottage cheese (16 ounces)
    1 cup mozzarella cheese
    1 red pepper, chopped
    1 egg white
    1 tsp dried oregano
    20 jumbo pasta shells, cooked, drained, cooled (there was enough stuffing for 5- 10 more shells)
    1 jar of pasta sauce

Heat oven to 400. Mix spinach, cottage cheese, 1/2 cup mozzarella, red pepper, egg white, & oregano. Spread sauce onto bottom of 9x13 dish. Spoon mixture into shells and place in dish filled side up. Top with 1/2 cup mozzarella. Cover with foil. Bake 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 10 minutes.

This sounds sooo goood!!!!!
  • likeaphoenix28
    Options
    THERE'S THIS CRAZY FEATURE HERE THAT ALLOWS YOU TO ACCESS THE ARCHIVES OF PAST POSTS. IT'S CALLED THE "SEARCH" FEATURE. CLICK ON THE LINK JUST ABOVE THIS THREAD. IT'S FANTASTIC!
    wow!:noway:
    Its so true...the number of questions posted that could have answers found with in seconds is crazy! It takes longer to type a post than search MFP or google for answers!

Why does it matter whether someone posts a question or searches for it? I believe they can use the website anyway that they want to. If you don't want to read a topic that has been posted before, then don't click on it.

Not only that... but maybe they have already searched the topic... found some recipes, but wanted to know if anyone had discovered anything new that they would like to share.

^^^This
  • aus452003
    Options
    Okay here you go.

Take about
    2 cups of raw spinach
    1 clove of choped garlic
    table spoon or two of olive oil
    place oil in pan. let it get nice and hot and add your garlic, and 1 minute later add your spinach.
    Cook for 3 or four minutes. salt and peeper to taste.
    you can add more or less garlic depending on your tastes

This is how i cook it and I love it.
  • fitacct
    fitacct Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Use it in place of meat when making lasagna. Makes a great veggie dish!
  • erxkeel
    erxkeel Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    why cook it when its best raw? =)
  • libland
    libland Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I put a cup of raw spinach in my smoothie in the AM ..... Can't even tast it!
    1 cup of strawberries
    1 bannana
    1 cup of Spinach
    8oz of almond milk

I'm going to start adding some flax seed this week!
    This - but 2 - 3 cups (fill the rest of the blender) everyday
  • Daisygurl7
    Daisygurl7 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I puree spinach and carrots and onions and put it in meatloaf. It's YUMMY!!!
  • treesloth
    treesloth Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    A frequent, easy meal of late has been whatever canned soup (something like vegetable barley) with a couple big handfuls of my vegetable mix. I keep a huge mixing bowl of spinach, kale, parsley and Napa cabbage all chopped up together. I heat up the soup, turn off the heat and then start adding and mixing in the vegetables. I like it to be mostly vegetables so that the original soup is really just flavoring, but your tastes may vary.
  • neyegirl
    Options
    I love spinach! And I cook it pretty much the same as above. Here's a super simple recipe works for broccoli, swiss chard, and asparagus too.

Add 1TBS olive olive oil to saute pan that can be covered.
    When warm add chopped fresh garlic to taste (I like garlic so I use 2 cloves, diced or minced, garlic press works great too) Heat just until fragrant not browned.
    Add 2-3 cups raw fresh spinach, saute for 30 sec to 1 min (Spinach really cooks down so you can add more)
    Add 1/2 to 1 cup liquid (water, wine, or low salt chicken broth) you hear the sizzle and see steam immediately, this is good.
    Cover and simmer stir as needed, 2minutes or until just wilted for spinach or bright green for broccoli.
    Done!

Cooking sherry works well as does any white wine that gives a fantastic flavor and all the alcohol of course is burned off. Can also add a squeeze of lemon for added variety.
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I saute mine with garlic and olive oil. I add it to my smoothies. I make omelettes or frittatas. I have hid some inside meatloaf. I eat it raw in my salads too.
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Try just a spinach salad - that's my favorite way.

baby spinach, cherry or grape tomatoes, diced red onion, chopped red pepper, banana peppers, feta cheese, black pepper and either creamy garlic or caesar dressing (not a lot is needed because of the feta).

Love it.
  • ladydukes
    Options
    Check out Pinterest too! I found a recipe for spinach burgers that is SUPER yummy!
  • sallymokate
    Options
    I put fresh baby spinach under stir fry or spicy peanut thai instead of rice. The combination of textures and temperatures is fantastic!
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Saute it in olive oil, with garlic and chili flakes. Also, raw in smoothes, salads, or on sandwiches.