whats thanksgiving?

Options

Replies

• xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    seen a few of my friends on here post things about thanksgiving. what exactly is it?! am i missing out on a huge party or something?

It's my favorite holiday. No one judges you for how much you eat that day because everyone is too busy stuffing their own face.... Hee Hee.

My cousin hosts every year and she is a gormet chef, so it's yum!!! My family gets together at her house and we drink wine and chat and eat, then go for a walk... it's great fun.

Where are you from?

Awsome! We should celebrate something like this, sounds really interesting and id love to have a day of stuffing my face and drinking wine!!

Oh and i live in Wales (UK)
  • Mallory0418
    Mallory0418 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    i thought this was a joke at first. i can't stop laughing.

Why? I wouldn't expect a non-American to know our holidays... especially considering how most Americans aren't aware of any other culture's holidays.
    Because google.

True, but also rude. No getting around that.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Thanksgiving eve is one of the busiest drinking nights of the year. Most people don't have to work the next day.

I personally would like to fast forward through the holiday season here in the U.S.

Any countries out there I can defect too that don't celebrate all these "family holidays?"

I actually have never heard of drinking the night before Thanksgiving. Its not a "thing" in my area.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everyone posted above, but they left out a few key points:
    *many of the men sit around and watch football all day, and
    *the women cook and clean until they are thoroughly exhausted. Traditional fare includes a roasted turkey, stuffing, cranberries, potatos, pumpkin pie, and much, much more.

In my family, my dad does the cooking AND the cleaning and does not watch football. We women sit around and watch movies. :drinker:
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Sorrry i live in the UK, so when my american friends mention it i have noo idea what it is and i was just wanting to know!

I think the UK should do thanksgiving! Id be goood at celebrating with drinks and food =)

But noooo the UK is tooo lame for that sorta thing!
    Since the holiday in the States is tied to the arrival of Puritan pilgrims fleeing England's religious persecution, Brits could celebrate the departure of those wet blanket Puritans! :laugh:
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    It's an American holiday basically celebrating the harvest and giving thanks for blessings we've had throughout the year.
    We celebrate it in Canada too.......
    Someone from Canada posted yesterday that Canadian Thanksgiving is entirely different. My cousin's husband is Canadian and he never makes a big deal about it.
    I am Canadian and this is true, it is not as a big of a deal like it is in the States. We certainly don't have a Thanksgiving Parade, LOL.
    It's one parade in one city. Not a central feature of the holiday for most folks in the states.
    Actually we have a parade in Seattle as well. I think many major cities tend to.
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    My apologies to Mexico and the other Central American countries included in North America.
    I'd say I feel bad that they are missing out in Mexico, but they will have ridiculous amounts of tamales around Christmas. :laugh:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    It's an American holiday basically celebrating the harvest and giving thanks for blessings we've had throughout the year.

We celebrate it in Canada too.......
    Someone from Canada posted yesterday that Canadian Thanksgiving is entirely different. My cousin's husband is Canadian and he never makes a big deal about it.

I guess it depends on the person. My family certainly makes a big deal of it and it is a Statutory Holiday. We do the turkey and all the trimming complete with pumpkin pie and always have.

We don't have Black Friday though. Our big sale day is Boxing day which is the day after Christmas.

Maybe. I don't know. I lived next to Canada, but never in it, so I was just going by what was posted. I should know better! lol

Boxing Day is my birthday. Of course it's a big shopping day!

OP -- You should just start a pigging out holiday in England! :-)
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    I am Canadian and this is true, it is not as a big of a deal like it is in the States. We certainly don't have a Thanksgiving Parade, LOL.
    It's one parade in one city. Not a central feature of the holiday for most folks in the states.
    Actually we have a parade in Seattle as well. I think many major cities tend to.
    Oh, well that's lame...

:laugh:
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Wow, all these replies and not a single person mentioned the First Thanksgiving? :laugh:

(Dusting off my Elementary School Teacher credentials)
    (Don't worry, I won't make you trace your hand and make a turkey drawing out of it, or create a Plymouth Village diorama)

The modern Thanksgiving holiday tradition traces its origins to a 1621 celebration at Plymouth in present-day Massachusetts, prompted by a good harvest. While initially the Plymouth colony did not have enough food to feed half of the 102 colonists, the Wampanoag Native Americans helped the Pilgrims by providing seeds and teaching them to fish. So the Natives and Pilgrims celebrated the first Thanksgiving together. This is the event which is commemorated by our modern Thanksgiving.

States celebrated at different times until 1863, when it was made a national holiday and the date was fixed by presidential proclamation. It was an effort by President Abraham Lincoln to foster a sense of American unity between the Northern and Southern states.

That's the U.S. version. I don't know nothin' 'bout our upstairs neighbors in Canada... I assume the origins are similar.

(EDIT: by the time I'd finished writing this, several people had posted info about the 1st Thanksgiving. Oh, well...)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everyone posted above, but they left out a few key points:
    *many of the men sit around and watch football all day, and
    *the women cook and clean until they are thoroughly exhausted. Traditional fare includes a roasted turkey, stuffing, cranberries, potatos, pumpkin pie, and much, much more.
    *The holiday always takes place on the fourth Thursday of November in the US and the second Monday in October in Canada.

The following day is BlackFriday where many of the stores have major sales that start early in the morning to jump start the Christmas holiday.

My boyfriend's cooking half the meal and I'll be dammed if he's not going to help clean up. He's also going to be the only man there ...

He tried talking me into letting him cook the turkey, but he's working until 1:30, so even if I was going to let him, it wouldn't work out if we want to eat that day!
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Sorrry i live in the UK, so when my american friends mention it i have noo idea what it is and i was just wanting to know!

I think the UK should do thanksgiving! Id be goood at celebrating with drinks and food =)

But noooo the UK is tooo lame for that sorta thing!
    Since the holiday in the States is tied to the arrival of Puritan pilgrims fleeing England's religious persecution, Brits could celebrate the departure of those wet blanket Puritans! :laugh:

LOL. This comment made my day.
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    LOL. This comment made my day.
    Debauchery Day!
  • mikeyml
    mikeyml Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Thanksgiving eve is one of the busiest drinking nights of the year. Most people don't have to work the next day.

I personally would like to fast forward through the holiday season here in the U.S.

Any countries out there I can defect too that don't celebrate all these "family holidays?"

I actually have never heard of drinking the night before Thanksgiving. Its not a "thing" in my area.

It's true. In my area the night before Thanksgiving is the busiest drinking night of the year. I was surprised to find that out as I would have guessed New Years Eve or St. Patrick's Day.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Evidently, it's a day for many an MFPer to PANIC!

LMAO!!! Yes that's what it is according to a lot of the board posts I've read today!!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming you're referring to New York, but Detroit has a HUGE long-standing Thanksgiving Day parade tradition, and I'm guessing there are plenty of other cities in the U.S. that follow suit.
  • mcintyrekn
    mcintyrekn Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    It always confused me too!
    You have it like a week before xmas, and your suppose to have a massive turkey dinner aswell..
    Is it just like an added celebration so that people have something to do with the left over turkey?

Is this serious?
    Haha Its a whole month before Christmas! Not to mention, its all about giving thanks for what you have. Spending time with the people that you love. It is one of the major holidays in the US and we love it. Its all about friends, family, and food! There is nothing more fulfilling than sitting around the table with people that you love and sharing a meal. It really is beautiful ( I'm such a friggen sap).
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    If you don't know how to cook, or can't or just don't want to.....lot's of places sell pre made Thanksgiving dinners.
  • xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    Oh blimey, i ask one simple question and look at all these answers i get =L
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    I'm assuming you're referring to New York, but Detroit has a HUGE long-standing Thanksgiving Day parade tradition, and I'm guessing there are plenty of other cities in the U.S. that follow suit.
    Yeah, I blew that one. I figured that the comment was referring to NYC Macy's parade.