Protein Shakes for weight loss

Options
Are there any types of shakes that aid just weight loss? I am aware the body building ones will be high in carbohydrates for energy but I am just looking for a supplement to take after a work out or maybe as a snack during the day that will be high in protein but low in carbs?

Thanks

Replies

• sburde2
    sburde2 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I like the special K protein shakes, they're less than 200 cals and fill me up for hours
  • Figuringoutme
    Options
    hmr 800 in chocolate :)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Typically "protein shakes" have extremely low fat and carbs.
    "Meal replacement shakes" are the ones that are balanced to include carbs, fat, and protein.

Any quality whey powder should let you up your protein with negligible effect on the rest of your macros.

Don't expect it to help you lose weight though. You lose weight via calorie deficit. Shakes are a way to supplement diet, for those of us that can't meet their nutritional goals from whole food alone.
  • AceDuddyMegaa
    Options
    "Meal replacement shakes" are the ones that are balanced to include carbs, fat, and protein.

Any quality whey powder should let you up your protein with negligible effect on the rest of your macros.

Don't expect it to help you lose weight though. You lose weight via calorie deficit. Shakes are a way to supplement diet, for those of us that can't meet their nutritional goals from whole food alone.

i like this guy
  • StrengthIsBeautiful
    Options

i like this guy

I like him too. ;-)
  • Kell_5
    Kell_5 Posts: 19
    Options
    I think they give you a false sense of security, they are not some magic weight loss tool as the advertisements would have you believe. I know so many people who think by drinking them the weight will just drop off with no other lifestyle changes
  • Mark1984Scotland
    Options

Thanks for that.

I am not looking for them to aid weight loss, but like as you say just to supplement the protein etc I want to intake.

(i.e. I would probably just take one after a workout to help recovery but didn't want one that would be full of carbs etc) and I would include them in my calorie intake to get a calories deficit which is the way I am working it just now.

Thanks
  • Teeli
    Teeli Posts: 13
    Options
    I use Optifast .... but I am aware that only NZ and Australia folks can buy this product. Everyone else has to go through a doctor.
    Optifas is low calorie, medium to low carb and very high in protein. Works for me!:wink:
  • milf_n_cookies
    milf_n_cookies Posts: 2,244 Member
    Options
    I have several that I like, I used ANS Power Maxx from GNC for my morning shake, I mix it with unsweetened almond milk, its a bit higher in carbs then some of the other powders but I will give 4 carbs a day for something that tastes decent. I also like Syntrax Nectar (these mix with water, dissolve just by mixing with a spoon) and it has a lot of good flavors with no carbs, only 100 cals and 23 grams of protein per scoop, I am partial to the Roadside Lemonade, Lemon Tea and Fuzzy Navel. I usually mix one of these before I workout and then drink it during/right after.
  • kj_4
    kj_4 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Check out Dr. Mark Hyman and the Ultrasimple Diet. You have a protien shake you make. Uses soy or rice milk with fruit and ground flaxseed. You can change ot up depending on what you add. Chunky monkey I think has banana and almond butter _yummm
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I sometimes replace breakfast & lunch with an Isowhey shake, which is fairly low carb and acts as a meal replacement. I think it's all about the calorie deficit, but I find having a shake easier and less expensive sometimes than preparing a meal at breakfast or lunch when I am busy.
  • Rocking_Robin
    Rocking_Robin Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I ue EAS 100% Whey Protein to supplement my prrotein amount. I make it with milk instead of water for better taste and more protein.
  • Asher213
    Options
    Ive just ordered a blender bottle and some samples from myprotein.co.uk. I'm hoping to cut down a bit on the fruit and have a shake after workout instead as a way of increasing protein and cutting down on carbs/sugar. Is this likely to slow down my weight loss? I'm assuming as long as I factor it in to my calorie allowance it shouldn't really matter in that sense?
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I drink Herbalife shakes. They are meal replacements with everything you need. Completely nutritious and delicious. Most importantly, they are working. I stay full and am losing weight. :bigsmile:
  • Kris10can
    Options
    I have some Medifast shakes left over from when I tried their diet a few years ago. I would never return to the diet, but I must say that having a shake for a snack helps keep me on track. I am satisfied without gluttony....only 90 calories and good nutrients.
  • Mark1984Scotland
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, I think I could have been a bit clearer in my original post, I am aware that taking the shakes will not increase my weight loss by some magic formula that burns the fat.

What I meant to convey was that I would maybe take one after my workout to help my muscles recover quicker therefor helping me to work out longer and more often due to my muscles feeling less tired/sore and in turn this would help me increase my calorie deficit.

Also as other people have mentioned some days you find it hard to eat your full calorie allowance especially if you are adding a big workout on to your tracker and I thought this would be an ideal way to prevent your body going into starvation mode due to not getting enough calories and while also not loading yourself with carbs, sugar, fat etc.

I hope that clears things up and is the correct way to use them.

I was thinking of buying this stuff http://www.powerbody.co.uk/product-syntrax_matrix_50_cookies_and_cream_2450g,45.html

as it's Low Carb, Fat and relatively low Calories

1 Scoop is 30g and contains

130 cals
    2g Fat
    5g Carbohydrates
    2g Sugar
    23g Protein.

Any advice or reccomendations would be gratefully received.

Thanks
  • casbar911
    casbar911 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I use Tera's Whey - (you can google it) I order it online...
    I love the Acai Berry one and the Vanilla and I use unsweetned almond milk to keep the carbs really low...
    it is a little more expensive then the ones you find at the grocery store but has a lot less added "crap"
    I use these after I work out.... for protien :)

* powder = 130 calories, 5 carbs, 2 fat and 22 grams protien
    almond milk = 8oz 40 calories, 2 carbs, 3 fat , 1 protien
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    you should have the protein shake BEFORE you work out if it is in the morning. I take mine within 45 minutes of my feet hitting the floor!
  • Mark1984Scotland
    Options
    you should have the protein shake BEFORE you work out if it is in the morning. I take mine within 45 minutes of my feet hitting the floor!

Thanks, what is the reason for taking it beforehand? Is it so my muscles repair WHILE I am working out?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

Thanks, what is the reason for taking it beforehand? Is it so my muscles repair WHILE I am working out?

it's irrelevant whether you take it before or after