Protein Shakes for weight loss

Options
2»

Replies

• Mark1984Scotland
    Options
    you should have the protein shake BEFORE you work out if it is in the morning. I take mine within 45 minutes of my feet hitting the floor!

Thanks, what is the reason for taking it beforehand? Is it so my muscles repair WHILE I am working out?

it's irrelevant whether you take it before or after

Thanks mate
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    you should have the protein shake BEFORE you work out if it is in the morning. I take mine within 45 minutes of my feet hitting the floor!

Thanks, what is the reason for taking it beforehand? Is it so my muscles repair WHILE I am working out?

Thanks mate

assuming you have slept for 8 hours and not eaten anything, a good dose of protein before putting your body to work is best.
  • Mark1984Scotland
    Options

Thanks mate

assuming you have slept for 8 hours and not eaten anything, a good dose of protein before putting your body to work is best.

Can I ask what the difference is taking it post or pre work out?
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

It's largely personal preference.

It will still be in your system after your workout if you take it beforehand. In terms of effect on muscle protein synthesis it will balance out at the end of the day regardless. You should take it in whichever manner allows you to perform best in the gym and meet your personal needs.

Some people do very, very well on fasted training. I train fasted whenever my schedule allows it because I enjoy it more that way and I feel like I get slightly better gym performance and energy levels. Even if this is just placebo, it feels best this way and since it won't make a substantial difference in terms of body composition, I do it this way. Your results may vary, and I suggest that as long as you meet your protein requirements, you should time your nutrients for best performance/personal preference.
  • qtcaro
    qtcaro Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I do the atkins shakes. Especially for lunch today! Need the extra calories for dinner!
  • TonyStark30
    TonyStark30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Syntrax Nectar is one of the best as it is Zero Carbs zero Fat, 90 Calories. perfect if you just want a shake for recovery. I also have one for breakfast.
  • Mark1984Scotland
    Options

It's largely personal preference.

It will still be in your system after your workout if you take it beforehand. In terms of effect on muscle protein synthesis it will balance out at the end of the day regardless. You should take it in whichever manner allows you to perform best in the gym and meet your personal needs.

Some people do very, very well on fasted training. I train fasted whenever my schedule allows it because I enjoy it more that way and I feel like I get slightly better gym performance and energy levels. Even if this is just placebo, it feels best this way and since it won't make a substantial difference in terms of body composition, I do it this way. Your results may vary, and I suggest that as long as you meet your protein requirements, you should time your nutrients for best performance/personal preference.

Thanks mate,

What benefits will the protein shakes bring me in terms of weight loss (i.e I know they won't burn the fat off for me as that is through negative calorie intake)

What I am looking for is the protein to help my muscles recover therefore helping me in my workouts, (i.e. making me able to train for longer and more often without having fatigue in my muscles), also it would help me meet my daily quota if I have not ate alot and the benefit of the shake aswell is that it's relatively low fat/carbs sugar aswell.

Am I completly off track with that assessment? (i.e. is the protein shakes the wrong way to go with what I am looking for?)

Thanks for the help folks.

Mark
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    You control what goes into your protein shake.

Start by getting yourself a low cal whey protein. Myofusion and Optimum Nutrition are good places to start. They have a few excellent flavors, there are hundreds of reviews on them and their price is much more reasonable than anything GNC has to offer

This tub of Myofusion Milk Chocolate sitting next to me...147 calories per scoop gets you 3g fat, 5g carbs and 25g protein. Optimum Nutrition has around 120 cal per 23g I believe, depending on the flavor.

If you want to add carbs...throw a scoop of oats in there or a weetabix. If you want fat, add a spoonful of peanut butter or some whole milk. The point I'm trying to make is that you can customize your protein shake to fit you.
  • gp79
    Options
    I use protein powder to supplement my diet on days I don't get enough of it from whole food sources. Protein is going to allow your muscles to repair and grow. With proper nutrition, your carbs are going to be what gives you the power in the gym. At least that's in my experience. I shoot for 1g protein and .4g fat per lb of body weight and fill in the remainder of calories with carbs. Should I go crazy on carbs, like today is going to be because of thanksgiving, my workout the following day will be awesome and I'll likely be able to push more volume of weight around.

In terms of weight loss, you should just try to stay in a calorie deficit. As long as your getting enough protein / fat, a protein shake isn't going to make magic happen.
  • Wel, its not a shake, but I like Cliff Bars! They have a ton of protien & fiber and are low in sugar. Carbs aren't too bad either! Here's the link to the nutrition info for the ones I like: http://www.clifbar.com/food/products_clif_bar/6311

Only 240 calories & 100% organic ingredeients! I think its a good fit for what you're looking for, in my opinion.
  • Mark1984Scotland
    Options
    You control what goes into your protein shake.

Start by getting yourself a low cal whey protein. Myofusion and Optimum Nutrition are good places to start. They have a few excellent flavors, there are hundreds of reviews on them and their price is much more reasonable than anything GNC has to offer

This tub of Myofusion Milk Chocolate sitting next to me...147 calories per scoop gets you 3g fat, 5g carbs and 25g protein. Optimum Nutrition has around 120 cal per 23g I believe, depending on the flavor.

If you want to add carbs...throw a scoop of oats in there or a weetabix. If you want fat, add a spoonful of peanut butter or some whole milk. The point I'm trying to make is that you can customize your protein shake to fit you.

Well all I am looking for is a quicker recovery time for my muscles so I don't think that adding any Oats, Sugar etc is suitable for me at the moment due to me only at this point looking for fat loss.

So I reckon that the Whey Protein on it's own will benefit me as it will help me excercise more because the protein will repair my muscles quickly and it's low fat/low carb. I am really just looking for someone to confirm/deny this.
  • gp79
    Options
    If protein is all you want, then get some whey. Just don't discount the importance of satisfying your macronutrient needs. Consuming high amounts of protein alone is not going to make you a beast in the gym.

I ate a gallon of pumpkin ice cream last friday night....it was good...and the next day I was a beast in the gym, because of the massive surplus of carbs. :)
  • Mark1984Scotland
    Options
    If protein is all you want, then get some whey. Just don't discount the importance of satisfying your macronutrient needs. Consuming high amounts of protein alone is not going to make you a beast in the gym.

I ate a gallon of pumpkin ice cream last friday night....it was good...and the next day I was a beast in the gym, because of the massive surplus of carbs. :)

I appreciate that mate but at the moment I am not looking to gain muscle/bulk up etc just looking to strip the fat off first then I can look at bulking up using carbs etc.

At the moment it's mostly cardio I am doing and if the protein helps combat the fatique of my leg muscles etc then I am happy with that.
  • TonyStark30
    TonyStark30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options

I appreciate that mate but at the moment I am not looking to gain muscle/bulk up etc just looking to strip the fat off first then I can look at bulking up using carbs etc.

At the moment it's mostly cardio I am doing and if the protein helps combat the fatique of my leg muscles etc then I am happy with that.

Protein to stop you feeling too sore, carbs when you finally exhaust yourself and just don't feel able to drag yourself to the gym. So both really but for different reasons, even when cutting. Carbs have another role too if you are actually bulking.
  • ryleab07
    Options
    Beverly International Nutrition products help me get my protein (21g) in one scoop with only 3 carbs... 110calories and fast acting so its great right before a workout or right after for quick recovery. You can order them online & they are safe! I know the owner and am really satisfied with his products. Here is the website, I couldn't find a better deal for carbs/cals and was after the same thing you are.

there are other products, but this is the one I got - in chocolate
    http://store.beverlyinternational.com/cgi-bin/commerce.exe?preadd=action&key=29