How fast do you run, ladies?

Options
13»

Replies

• ashlielinn
    Options
    I've had a million problems with my legs. Shin splints, knee surgeries, exertional compartment syndrome...ridiculous. I still run at an 8:30/8:00 min per mile place for 45-60 mins every day, and I haven't had a problem since all that stuff was taken care of in high school! :)
  • littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I'm a new runner, probably have run 15-20 times in my life ever and only 5'1. My runs are on roads so kind of slows things down since I live in London and have to dodge the buses and killer taxi drivers... Never been on a treadmill before but I guess it would speed me up not having inclines and obstacles.

I run about 8:25 minute mile pace and I can keep that up for an hour without any problem but I never really go faster or slower. I have no idea if that's good or bad. Literally not a clue...
  • angw7
    angw7 Posts: 69
    Options
    I started running 18 months ago and have gradually built up. I reached my first ever 10K last Saturday in 1:00:33hr so was rather pleased. I average around 6.7 mph (9min mile) normally but was faster last weekend as it felt good. The weather was perfect and it was a great morning so managed a great time. I have pushed myself too much too soon and also tried to run too often and I have ended up with various pains. Make sure you stretch and from reading my woman's running magazing last night, it shows that if you have pains, reduce the speed as it may be that you are trying to run too fast.
    Good Luck :)
  • elizamc
    elizamc Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    The speed at which one runs has much more to do with fitness level, than
    height or weight. (although I think age could be a factor)

Not so in my experience! I use the Polar Fitness System and have recently gone up two points in their scale and for my age I am now at the top of 'moderate' fitness almost into 'good' in my age range.

Since I started (and was smack bang in the middle of 'moderate' for age,) my speed hadn't increased significantly - even though my fitness has improved. I believe there are many factors at play in running speed - as well as general fitness levels.

Sorry - no experience of shin splints....
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    6-7mph for an hour or a little more, depending on how I'm feeling and whether I'm inside or outside.

For a shorter distance I can go a little faster but I prefer to do a longer run rather than a faster one.