Fresh hummus - how long...

Options
_SusieQ_
_SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
Before you would throw it out? I made some last Monday, so it's been 8 days. Would you eat it?

Replies

• april_beth
    april_beth Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    eat it *says she who is nom-noming on some week old hummus right now*
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Yes, if it was refrigerated the entire time and there has been no double-dipping from the container. :tongue:
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    What's the best by date on the package? And what does it smell like? Any mold? I think hummus ferments when bad, so if there is air in the package...no go!

LOL, just taste it!!!!
  • _SusieQ_
    Options
    It's homemade Shan. I made it Monday night last week for a snack day on Tuesday. It's been in the fridge since then in a sealed container. *sniff sniff* Doesn't smell too skanky.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Personally I think around a week is what you'd consider for most prepared foods that aren't preserved somehow.
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    No. I make my own Hummus & have had bad food poisoning due to eating it WAY past when it should have been binned. I now go by the 4 day rule for home made dishes. 4 days in the fridge is okay, any longer than that it's not safe.
  • Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I'd eat it, but then home made hummus doesn't last more than two days around my house. My family asks for it every week.
  • meemo88
    meemo88 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    lol yes. im middle eastern ... you can keep it in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
  • _SusieQ_
    Options
    So what's your thoughts on week old tabouli?? Made fresh by me, same day as hummus.

I just opened both and sniffed 'em. The tabouli scares me more than the hummus, but I ate my lunch for breakfast so I need to find something to eat. :grumble:
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I stick by the week rule for just about anything prepared. Some things even less time. Many store bought items suggest using within a week after opening, I think it's a pretty solid rule to follow. Anything longer and you're risking it.
  • _SusieQ_
    Options
    Ok, thanks people. I'm going to go forth with the hummus but ditch the tabouli. The bulger wheat is a little too smushy tasting for me to stomach.
  • meemo88
    meemo88 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    tabooli once you mix in the olive oil and lemon its only good for a couple of days or else it just gets soggy..........next time you make it you might just wana add the olive oil and lemon right before eating it so you can portion control it.
  • _SusieQ_
    Options
    tabooli once you mix in the olive oil and lemon its only good for a couple of days or else it just gets soggy..........next time you make it you might just wana add the olive oil and lemon right before eating it so you can portion control it.

I made this batch for a work thing and had it left over. I like the idea of doing that^^^ though! Thanks!