So with Thanksgiving looming for us here in the States..

Options
2»

Replies

• timingsands
    Options
    OP asked for tips on how to portion control without using a food scale. If that's what OP wants to do, then that's fine. If she wants to just enjoy the day and not worry, that's fine, too.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    0911-panic-in-the-streets-posterjpg-683f95799d509b54_large.jpg
  • damonmath
    damonmath Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I won't be participating... That makes it pretty easy.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean about not wanting to weigh your food in front of everyone. I get funny looks when I use measuring cups to serve myself...and that's from my immediate family! Here's what I would do. Mentally divide your plate into quarters. One quarter is for meat. One quarter is for starch. The last two quarters should be for vegetables, like salad or steamed veggies. If there are more than one type of starch divide that quarter in two, same with meat. Eat your veggies first, then the meat and starch. Drink water every few bites. Don't pile your plate too high and make sure you can see the physical plate between each food item!!

Great advice!!! It is just one day, but it's no excuse for gluttony. In fact, I wouldn't be struggling to lose weight if I had never thought that way to begin with. "It's just one day", "It's just one more bite", "It's just another glass of wine", "It's just one dessert".....that excuse could go on and on.....and it's probably that same reason why most of us are here now.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    The hard part is not Thanksgiving Day...that's a no brainer. Eat Eat Eat and enjoy!! The challenge is getting right back on healthy sensible eating track the next day. That's what separates the people that what to do this...and the one's that want to make excuses!

Eat, Enjoy, be done with it! Friday we are right back to being fitness warriors!!!!!!!
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I have a great idea,totally new concept its one day,dont worry about it.emjoy the time with your family,as long as you eat sensibly the rest of the week you will be fine
  • dalgirly
    dalgirly Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Well, since I`m Canadian, I`ve already had Thanksgiving. But I ate myself silly. And then was good the week after. I didn`t gain a pound (or even get off my weight losing path). So its one day, enjoy it!
  • michelec64
    michelec64 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Aside from a trip to the gym in the morning, I'm taking the day off. I plan on eating whatever I want (no take-home leftovers though) and I'll go back to my normal food routine on Friday. I've been at this for almost 2 years and indulging in the occasional holiday feast, wedding, birthday party, etc. hasn't hurt me...it's a part of life.

I realize that not everyone is at that level where they can trust themselves to enjoy things in moderation, so just do what you are comfortable with. Don't let what should be a happy occasion to spend with friends and loved ones become a major source of stress.
  • tamcrit
    tamcrit Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Here's my plan...I am running a Turkey Trot 10K Thursday morning, so that will burn approximately 500-600 calories. For my meal, I plan to start with a nice salad, and then take one serving spoon full of everything I want, but no seconds. I have been staying on track all week and will jump back into routine on Friday, so I am planning to enjoy it, but not go too overboard.
  • acasey0123
    acasey0123 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    im running an 8k so im think around 1000 calories ill be burning since i burned about 600 calories from my 5k race a couple weeks back...then for dinner im gonna fill up on salad and white turkey meat